[BETA] Antispam for all fields (updated: 10-01-2009:V1.3.1)

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Lord Raiden

Post by Lord Raiden »

Man, the spammers have been coming in droves lately despite the anti-spam tool. I'm sure we'd be getting a whole lot more if it weren't there, but it's still annoying. We really need to either find out what that mod is that EXreaction mentioned.or include it into this mod. I think that a cooperative mod like that would really kill any urge by spammers to use phpbb to spam with. On top of that I think that once PHPbb3 comes around it'll cut down on forum spammers even more. :)
Steve Lake
-Owner/Admin/Author of:
-Raiden's Realm - Bringing Linux to the World
Ramon Fincken

Post by Ramon Fincken »

Lord Raiden wrote: Man, the spammers have been coming in droves lately despite the anti-spam tool. I'm sure we'd be getting a whole lot more if it weren't there, but it's still annoying. We really need to either find out what that mod is that EXreaction mentioned.or include it into this mod. I think that a cooperative mod like that would really kill any urge by spammers to use phpbb to spam with. On top of that I think that once PHPbb3 comes around it'll cut down on forum spammers even more. :)

can you PM me a test account at your spammed board so I can take a look?
Dutch quality fully managed WordPress hosting - ManagedWPHosting.nl

Before changing a file, some code or installing a MOD >> Make a backup first!

Do you like my mods? paypal me $1 :) forumsoftware[AT}creativepulses[DOT}nl [/size]
PhpBBantispam.com || Instant find your mod here
Lord Raiden

Post by Lord Raiden »

What kind of test account?
Steve Lake
-Owner/Admin/Author of:
-Raiden's Realm - Bringing Linux to the World
Ramon Fincken

Post by Ramon Fincken »

Lord Raiden wrote: What kind of test account?

admin preferably... because I think these spammers come in because your wordlist is not updated with the words they use..

Rfn

Do you like my mods? paypal me $1 :) forumsoftware[AT}creativepulses[DOT}nl [/size]
meeciteewurkor

Post by meeciteewurkor »

howdy!
When I go to "Wordlist" in admin panel, the page is blank.

Is this normal?

Haven't really tested it yet, but wanted to be sure before I proceeded.

regards
meeciteewurkor

Post by meeciteewurkor »

Well, it's working fine! :)

The wordlist in the admin page doesn't list anything, but the mod is working perfectly. Thanks!
Ramon Fincken

Post by Ramon Fincken »

meeciteewurkor wrote: Well, it's working fine! :)

The wordlist in the admin page doesn't list anything, but the mod is working perfectly. Thanks!

I'll implement a standalone list tomorrow :)
Great you love the mod !!

meeciteewurkor

Post by meeciteewurkor »

Thanks Ramon.
This mod has a lot of potential.
I especially like the "Visit remote websites and check for forbidden words?" option.
this reminds me a lot of a spam plugin called Spam Karma for Wordpress. It checks referring sites that send trackbacks to be sure they contain a link to your site.
I'm sure the principle is the same.

Btw, you may want to change the spelling of "Sent" to "Send" in the "Sent mail" section of the admin page. Just semantics, of course. :)
A better phrase might be "Send Email Notification".

Thanks again for this mod. I will keep a close eye on new releases and try to help spot bugs, etc.
meeciteewurkor

Post by meeciteewurkor »

Ramon Fincken wrote:
Phono Paul wrote:Hi, probably a foolish question, but even if a user is in the "approved user" group and bypasses the antispam checker, their post still gets censored by the the word list, ie "Poker" is replaced with "MAPS" (or "beep" etc).

I guess I can get around this by copying the banned word into the replace field in the word list, but is there a cleaner solution? Have I missed something obvious?!

Hello Paul,

that's absolutely true.

However if you make your list for really nasty words there's nothing to worry about.
But I think in a future release I'll use a seperate wordlist so this won't happen. ( I will provide a 2 second automatically script to copy all the words into the new databasetable ).

Ramon

This is a great idea that should be implemented. A separate table field for spam words makes much more sense than using the phpBB_words field. That way the word censor can be used to censor out only those words that the admin finds "offensive".
meeciteewurkor

Post by meeciteewurkor »

Sorry for the continuous posts... I changed my install of this mod in the following manner. Forgive me if I don't explain it very well.. I just kind hashed this together over the last hour or so..
Back up everything.
What this does in theory: The anti-spam mod will check a new table called phpbb_spam_words instead of phpbb_words.

You will need to add a table to your phpbb install called "phpbb_spam_words" and give it the same exact fields as "phpbb_words". You can easily do this with phpMyAdmin. (Sorry, I'm not good enough at structured query language to post a reliable SQL here.) But you will have to alter the SQL when adding the spam words to the new table. i.e. :

Code: Select all

INSERT INTO phpbb_spam_words (word_id, word, replacement) VALUES (10, 'somespamword', '*beep*');
Populate "phpbb_spam_words" the same as you did with "phpbb_words"

Open: includes/constants.php
add:

define('SPAM_WORDS_TABLE', $table_prefix.'spam_words');
to the list of table names. I just put it at the bottom of the list.

Open: includes/functions_antispam.php
Find:

$sql = "SELECT word
                FROM  " . WORDS_TABLE;
Change to:

$sql = "SELECT word
                FROM  " . SPAM_WORDS_TABLE;
That's it. anti-spam should query the new table "phpbb_spam_words" now.
You can now use the "phpbb_words" table for it's original purpose of censoring words you don't want on the board.
I might also mention that you will have to add new spam words via phpMyAdmin as adding words to the word censor will have no effect.

As far as I can tell, this doesn't affect the admin panel for the spam mod... yet.

Anyway, I'm sure this is really ugly and that there's a better way to do it, so I'm all ears! Note that this is a temporary alteration for me, as I didn't want the word censor to replace words in posts of members that have been around for a long time. Of course, since Ramon stated that he is implementing a "standalone" version soon, I'll probably get rid of these changes. :wink:

In fact, now that I think about it, I'm sure that the "replacement" field in the new "phpbb_spam_words" table could be left out to save space, as it wouldn't serve any purpose for this mod.

Please remember to back up everything if you try this!
Ramon Fincken

Post by Ramon Fincken »

Added preview of anti spam database !!

will be released with version 1.1.7

Ramon Fincken

Post by Ramon Fincken »

thanks meeciteewurkor !

I'l implement a standalone list with version 1.1.7

update: done
Last edited by Ramon Fincken on Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ramon Fincken

Post by Ramon Fincken »

Major update ( lots of new functions added ! )

:!: ** upgrade 1.1.6 -> 1.1.7 01102006
* Database Storage with ALL the post vars, incl link to profile and IP + proxy forwarded IP
* DB stats: Most Active spam ip, Most Active spam ipproxy, Most Active spam user
* Mass import your existing wordlist, double entries are dropped.

Database storage:

Upgrade instructions are in the 1.1.7 zipfile

Ramon Fincken

Post by Ramon Fincken »

All these bugs are solved in 1.1.7 release :)

meeciteewurkor wrote: howdy!
When I go to "Wordlist" in admin panel, the page is blank.

Is this normal?

Haven't really tested it yet, but wanted to be sure before I proceeded.

regards
jimisconfused wrote: I have the same or atleast similar error message occuring with my install of mod.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/earrelap/public_html/peanut-gallery/includes/template.php(127) : eval()'d code:1) in /home/earrelap/public_html/peanut-gallery/includes/functions.php on line 948

The forum is not live yet, v2.21 and this is the first and only mod installed so far.

The only thing else I have done is install bad words from the two list you have linked in topic. They look ok.

The error occurs in admin panel when I click on anitspam word list.

Thanks for any help.

Also, are there any capability issue with other mods like you must be human to use this board mod?
fix johnson wrote: Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/napoleon/public_html/forum/includes/template.php(127) : eval()'d code:1) in /home/napoleon/public_html/forum/includes/functions.php on line 947

Any idea what would cause this message?

Thanks

Fix

meeciteewurkor

Post by meeciteewurkor »

Excellent work!
I removed the old version and installed this new one. And it's working perfectly!

Do you really think it's necessary to to include the "replacement" field in the spam words table, "antispamdb_words"?
The import SQL could just grab the word field from the "phpbb_words" table.

Also, since the "antispamdb_words" table has an autoincrement primary key, the SQL could exlude "word_id" and also exclude "replacement". This would make it easier to add new lists of words.

Anyway, I'll create an SQL query that will insert both lists as linked in the first post of this topic. It'll take me a little while, though.. I'll get back in an hour or so.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”