[BETA] Antispam for all fields (updated: 10-01-2009:V1.3.1)

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Ramon Fincken

Post by Ramon Fincken » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:26 am

If the 'management' function in your ACP is working there's nothing to worry about.

I am aware of the error.

The wordlist is a feature that works on a few servertypes, but I"ll solve that in a next release..
It is ment to be a direct link to the exsisting word list ( found in general admin ). So use the normal word list if you want to change the words :)

The same counts for the spam database, it is a redirect to 'spam management'.
I'm working on the spam database right now. I'll make it easier for you to spot repeating usernames, ip's etc... AND.... It will have a feature to approve the posts that were blocked..
Dutch quality fully managed WordPress hosting - ManagedWPHosting.nl

Before changing a file, some code or installing a MOD >> Make a backup first!

Do you like my mods? paypal me $1 :) forumsoftware[AT}creativepulses[DOT}nl [/size]
PhpBBantispam.com || Instant find your mod here

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:38 pm

Ramon Fincken wrote:
nampa wrote:Ramon,

Thank you.

When you contact me, please let me know how can I temporarily disable the limit on the number of registration attempts. Its really hard to debug this problem if I keep getting locked out of the registration page. I had to go around looking for other computers.

ACP >> general config

bypass: use another browser and close the window, re-open the browser and you have a new 'session'

Actually, you can't remove the registration limit in phpBB2 from the adminCP.

To do it do this:
Open
includes/usercp_register.php

Find
message_die(GENERAL_MESSAGE, $lang['Too_many_registers']);

Replace with
// message_die(GENERAL_MESSAGE, $lang['Too_many_registers']);

Ramon Fincken

Post by Ramon Fincken » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:47 pm

will work but not a 'great solution'

I think he wanted to try the register block function and got the 'too many' message too often ;)

Do you like my mods? paypal me $1 :) forumsoftware[AT}creativepulses[DOT}nl [/size]

EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:58 pm

Ramon Fincken wrote: will work but not a 'great solution'

I think he wanted to try the register block function and got the 'too many' message too often ;)

Well, it will do what he wants for the time. But it wouldn't be good to leave it like that continously. :P

Yep, if you comment that out you wont get the error about too many registration attempts at all. Comes in handy when you are bug testing the registration page. :D

Lord Raiden

Post by Lord Raiden » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:01 am

Ya know what? I just got an idea for an enhancement to this mod. It'd take a bit of a colaborative community effort, but man, think of how many of the spammers we could stop!!

Ok, here's the idea. Since spammers like to all come from identical IP blocks and from tons of free mail accounts, why not setup a database of known spammers homes. Say for example, someone comes from gawab.com (that's been a favorite for spammers on my site) and spams your site. You of course ban him and then submit his info (IP and email address) to the master list. After xx number of reported incidents, the user is automatically added to the master list. Then when someone signs up from, or tries to post from said IP, they're immediately stonewalled. More than xx number of IP's from a given IP block (likely a /24 or something similar so that the bans don't become too sweeping) and that whole /24 is banned. For those who have no idea what a /24 is, that's a block of 256 ip's and usually has 255.255.255.0 as the subnet. We could also ban by /26 (128 ip's) to be slightly less sweeping.

Domain's would stay on the list for up to 30 days, then be removed automatically if nobody tried to signup with that domain name in their email. The script could report that an attempt was made to post or signup from said domain and add a counter of sorts to that entry. More than xx number of attempts (post ban) from that domain over a given period of time would keep the domain on the ban list until the number of attempts dropped below a given number.

IP's would be banned for 3-6 months since spammers are less likely to migrated between IP blocks like they are between domains, assuming that the target machine or IP block they're posting from is not a machine or series of machines that have been comprimised for the purpose of just this kinda spamming, or even proxy spamming.

Now obviously the idea is a bit on the rough side, but I thought I'd throw it out there and see what you guys thought of it. From there we could work out the details. By making this a colaborative effort, we could really put a huge dent in the spammer signups and postings.

On a side note however, given what I've seen in PHPbb3, this mod will be moot since member lists are no longer public, so anyone with a PHPbb3 forum won't have spammers signing up with link spam simply because it won't be possible for them to use the board to spam anymore. (two cheers to the dev team for thinking of this! woot!)
Steve Lake
-Owner/Admin/Author of:
-Raiden's Realm - Bringing Linux to the World

EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:03 pm

^There is a mod identicle to that in the works. :)

Lord Raiden

Post by Lord Raiden » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:34 pm

Oh? Really? Where at? I hadn't heard about it.
Steve Lake
-Owner/Admin/Author of:
-Raiden's Realm - Bringing Linux to the World

EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:35 pm

Yep. :)

Good question though, I can't remember anymore. :P

Rusty Dogg

spamming "www" as username ...

Post by Rusty Dogg » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:31 pm

Hi,

I'm running into problems as spammers are getting more ingenious. the latest one is spamming the "username" field with an actual website (which remains "clickable" - and of course visible immediately at the bottom of the home page as last reg'd member).

What would be really cool, is if there could be a mod written that would pick up URL references in any input fields (other than reg'd members' website fields) and automatically ban the visitor's IP, username, email.

I've already enabled the mod that disables website input for new members pending admin approval, which is a great benefit.

thanks for any suggestions on this.

(ps I would be willing to add my list of banned IP's, emails to any list that is being compiled to deter spam)

Rusty

Ramon Fincken

Post by Ramon Fincken » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:56 pm

in your case this mod will check the username for forbidden words.
if your wordlist is ok it will catch your spammers

this mod will still check your website field AND visit the websites to check for the words..

* i will NOT create a auto-ban-ip module, perhaps a cookie ban
* no need to post your IP list, for the same reason as point * 1:

IP's can and WILL be forged/spoofed, unfortunately you cannot pinpoint a specific user to one single IP anymore... ( dynamic IP's, proxies, spoofing )

Rfn

fix johnson

Anti-Spam Error Message

Post by fix johnson » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:22 pm

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/napoleon/public_html/forum/includes/template.php(127) : eval()'d code:1) in /home/napoleon/public_html/forum/includes/functions.php on line 947

Any idea what would cause this message?

Thanks

Fix

Ramon Fincken

Re: Anti-Spam Error Message

Post by Ramon Fincken » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:42 am

fix johnson wrote: Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/napoleon/public_html/forum/includes/template.php(127) : eval()'d code:1) in /home/napoleon/public_html/forum/includes/functions.php on line 947

Any idea what would cause this message?

Thanks

Fix

at what page does thi happen?
the admin page?

jimisconfused

Post by jimisconfused » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:26 pm

I have the same or atleast similar error message occuring with my install of mod.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/earrelap/public_html/peanut-gallery/includes/template.php(127) : eval()'d code:1) in /home/earrelap/public_html/peanut-gallery/includes/functions.php on line 948

The forum is not live yet, v2.21 and this is the first and only mod installed so far.

The only thing else I have done is install bad words from the two list you have linked in topic. They look ok.

The error occurs in admin panel when I click on anitspam word list.

Thanks for any help.

Also, are there any capability issue with other mods like you must be human to use this board mod?

[/code]

Ramon Fincken

Post by Ramon Fincken » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:47 pm

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started a

this code will be implemented in the next releases, the mod however works just as stated in the first post

You can safely install any other mod because this is quite a unique one :)

jimisconfused

Post by jimisconfused » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:35 pm

Thks much

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”