[BETA] Anti-spam bots registration

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

I submitted the ACP version to the MOD DB. 8)
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=399374
gizbug

Post by gizbug »

I'm new at mods. How do you go about installing this mod? Using 2.0.21 phpbb w/ easy mod
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

gizbug wrote: I'm new at mods. How do you go about installing this mod? Using 2.0.21 phpbb w/ easy mod

Would you like to try the ACP version(has a lot more features) or the "lite" version(the one in this thread)?
SpankR

Post by SpankR »

EXreaction wrote:
gizbug wrote:I'm new at mods. How do you go about installing this mod? Using 2.0.21 phpbb w/ easy mod

Would you like to try the ACP version(has a lot more features) or the "lite" version(the one in this thread)?

I'm going to install the ACP ver from the MODs db - hold on for a report.

Running .21 w/ EasyMod 0.3.0

OK - done! That took all of what, 15 seconds?

No problems whatsoever.

Thanks!
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

The ACP version isn't in the mods database quite yet. I just submitted it for inspection today. 8)

(btw, check out the contrib folder that comes with the mod. The hide users is something that will help a lot against spammers(don't see any users until they have a certian # of posts)
computersOC

Post by computersOC »

Anyone have any idea as to my question I posted a few posts back?
http://www.computersOC.com - overclocking, P2P, broadband tweaks, ISP forums, more... Computer Building Help -- Overclocking Guide

Want us to install you a phpBB board or update your current one? Want mods/anti-spam mods installed? Moving to a new host? Check us out here.
M.O.B.

Post by M.O.B. »

computersOC wrote: Anyone have any idea as to my question I posted a few posts back?

Please copy and paste the code here using the code brackets. I don't like downloading a hack from an unknown source.
lucraft

Post by lucraft »

Just had to come in and say I applied the original mod yesterday and it worked like a charm! 15 hits overnight. You beauty!!!!

I modified the part where it tells them to contact my email address for more info. It now tells them to contact THEIR email address for more info. :D
JayCee^

Post by JayCee^ »

Worked a treat for me.

I am now only getting through registrations where they have inserted only the ICQ details.

I have tried to edit the code myself but appear to have failed.

I have included the code below. Would you tell me where I have gone wrong.

Many thanks in advance.

Code: Select all

$cut_off=10; //how many posts should user have before form fields are activated

// ---------------------------------------
if (($mode == 'register' && ($HTTP_POST_VARS['icq'] != '' || $HTTP_POST_VARS['website'] != '' || $HTTP_POST_VARS['signature'] != '') ) || ($userdata['user_posts'] < $cut_off && $mode=='editprofile' && ($HTTP_POST_VARS['icq'] != '' || $HTTP_POST_VARS['website'] != '' || $HTTP_POST_VARS['signature'] != '')))
{

$myEmailAddress = "YOUR-EMAIL@YOUR-DOMAIN"; // Edit this with your proper e-mail address.

//**********
   // If you DO NOT wish to receive e-mail notifications of spam bot registration attempts, delete all of the code between the lines of asterisks.

$spammerIPAddress = ( !empty($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['REMOTE_ADDR']) ) ? $HTTP_SERVER_VARS['REMOTE_ADDR'] : ( ( !empty($HTTP_ENV_VARS['REMOTE_ADDR']) ) ? $HTTP_ENV_VARS['REMOTE_ADDR'] : getenv('REMOTE_ADDR') );
   $spammerUsername     = $HTTP_POST_VARS['username'];
   $spammerEmailAddress = $HTTP_POST_VARS['email'];
   $spammerICQ      = $HTTP_POST_VARS['icq'];
   $spammerWebsite      = $HTTP_POST_VARS['website'];
   $spammerSignature    = $HTTP_POST_VARS['signature'];
   $spammerPassword     = $HTTP_POST_VARS['new_password'];
   $emailSubject   = "Notification of Spam Bot Attempt";
   $emailHeader    = "From: Spam-Bot-Mod";
   $emailMessage   = "Spam Bot Registration Attempted.\n\n";
   $emailMessage  .= "Spammer's IP Address = "     . $spammerIPAddress    . "\n";
   $emailMessage  .= "IP Lookup = http://www.nwtools.com/default.asp?prog=express&host=" . $spammerIPAddress . "\n";
   $emailMessage  .= "Spammer's Username = "       . $spammerUsername     . "\n";
   $emailMessage  .= "Spammer's Password = "       . $spammerPassword     . "\n";
   $emailMessage  .= "Spammer's email address = "  . $spammerEmailAddress . "\n";
   $emailMessage  .= "Spammer's ICQ No = "    	   . $spammerICQ          . "\n";
   $emailMessage  .= "Spammer's Webpage URL = "    . $spammerWebsite      . "\n";
   $emailMessage  .= "Spammer's Signature Line = " . $spammerSignature    . "\n";
   mail($myEmailAddress, $emailSubject, $emailMessage, $emailHeader);
   //**********

message_die(GENERAL_MESSAGE, "You are not authorized to use this feature. Please send e-mail to " . $myEmailAddress . " for more information.", '', __LINE__, __FILE__);

}
Teamkilling-- society's fault, or one man's cry for help?
| www.esgaming.co.uk |
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

JayCee^ wrote: Worked a treat for me.

I am now only getting through registrations where they have inserted only the ICQ details.

I have tried to edit the code myself but appear to have failed.

I have included the code below. Would you tell me where I have gone wrong.

Many thanks in advance.

You could just use the ACP version(uninstall the old version first if you do). :P
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=399374
It includes options to hide all of those fields. :)

If you don't want to use the ACP version, I can tell you how add in the check for the ICQ field.
JayCee^

Post by JayCee^ »

Hi,

Thanks for the rapid response.

I don't want to use the ACP just yet as I will need to use this on my Live Board.

If you could tell me how to hide the ICQ field, it would be greatly appreciated.

All the best.
| www.esgaming.co.uk |
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

The code looks right for usercp_register.php...did you edit the template as well?

Try registering without the switch in the template, enter in some random data and something in the ICQ field, see if it gives you a die message or if it lets you register.
JayCee^

Post by JayCee^ »

Hi again,

I didn't change the template file and when I add some random data in the ICQ field it displays the die message.

I am curious though. The template changes don't seem any different to the lines I am replacing, am I missing something?

It would be nice to hide the ICQ field though. :D
| www.esgaming.co.uk |
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

JayCee^ wrote: Hi again,

I didn't change the template file and when I add some random data in the ICQ field it displays the die message.

I am curious though. The template changes don't seem any different to the lines I am replacing, am I missing something?

It would be nice to hide the ICQ field though. :D

Ok, then the php file is working right.

Now all you have to do is this:

Code: Select all

#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#

templates/subSilver/profile_add_body.tpl

#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#

<tr> 
	  <td class="row1"><span class="gen">{L_ICQ_NUMBER}:</span></td>
	  <td class="row2"> 
		<input type="text" name="icq" class="post" style="width: 100px"  size="10" maxlength="15" value="{ICQ}" />
	  </td>
	</tr>

#
#-----[ REPLACE WITH ]------------------------------------------
#

<!-- BEGIN switch_edit_website -->
	<tr> 
	  <td class="row1"><span class="gen">{L_ICQ_NUMBER}:</span></td>
	  <td class="row2"> 
		<input type="text" name="icq" class="post" style="width: 100px"  size="10" maxlength="15" value="{ICQ}" />
	  </td>
	</tr>
<!-- END switch_edit_website -->
That should make it work just like the website and signature sections with this mod. :)
JayCee^

Post by JayCee^ »

It worked a treat.

Thanks very much.

I thought the code below was just indicating the start and end of the changed code. :wink:
<!-- END switch_edit_website -->
| www.esgaming.co.uk |

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”