[MODDB] Anti-Spam ACP

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
davidm999

Post by davidm999 »

I've just used EasyMod to install Anti_Spam_ACP_v1.1.02. Everything appeared to run ok but I don't see any configuration options in my forum's Administration panel.

I am using the 'Classic' theme -
http://www.trushkin.net/phpbb.php?style=classic

I noticed in a reply to another message that admin_anti_spam_acp.php needed to be in the Admin folder. It wasn't so I added it manually but still nothing showed up in the Admin panel.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. This mod looks like just what I need to kill off the spam registrations I've been getting

Regards
David M
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

Make sure all of the files are uploaded in the correct locations, clear your cache, and try again. :)
Radsan

Post by Radsan »

I think this is great mod to stop spambots and I am using it on my LIVE board with no problems whatsoever. :P

Many thanks to the author. But I would like to see one extra feature/trap in this. That is the administrative option to turn ON, TWO RANDOM fields (sig, ICQ, location etc) that spambots usually fill.

One field should come with a customisable warning to human users not to fill that particular field or their registration will be rejected. The other field should also come with a cutomisable message to be mandatorily FILLED without which the registration would get rejected. To summarise, if the restricted field IS filled during registration OR the mandatory field is NOT filled, then the registration gets rejected.

While the existing mod does trap spambots trying to fill turned off fields, I still found that spambots are registering, as there are several out there that only fill the bare minimum and avoid the rest as they savvy up.

I believe that with the above feature which makes the registration fields unpredictable, as different board admins will turn on different random fields as restricted or mandatory, will stop almost all spambots dead on their tracks.

The main weakness of the mod in it's current form, I feel, is the predictability. I don't know if I explained it well enough, but many thanks for the efforts of the author.
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

Not a bad idea, I will think about it. :)
davidm999

Post by davidm999 »

EXreaction wrote: Make sure all of the files are uploaded in the correct locations, clear your cache, and try again. :)

I checked and it looks like the EasyMod install didn't install anything! - although it looked like it did. I've copied all files using the structure in the 'root' folder but am not sure what to do about the 'anti_spam_acp_body.tpl' file for my theme (classic). Is there any instructions available for a manual installation?

I'm also whether I need to or when when to run the 'db_install.php'

Regards
David M
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

davidm999 wrote: I checked and it looks like the EasyMod install didn't install anything! - although it looked like it did. I've copied all files using the structure in the 'root' folder but am not sure what to do about the 'anti_spam_acp_body.tpl' file for my theme (classic). Is there any instructions available for a manual installation?

I'm also whether I need to or when when to run the 'db_install.php'

Regards
David M

Just copy anti_spam_acp_body.tpl to your admin folder in the classic theme, the same place it was put in the subSilver folder. :)

Yes, you can use the .mod(text format) in the contrib folder, or the .xml(ModX format) in the root directory, both of those have instructions. :)

Check in your includes/usercp_register.php file and see if you have the line that should be in there:

Code: Select all

// Start Anti-Spam ACP MOD
require($phpbb_root_path . 'includes/anti_spam_acp.' . $phpEx);
// End Anti-Spam ACP MOD
If it is there it probably did all the code changes for you.

And if you don't see the link in the adminCP after uploading the admin/admin_anti_spam_acp.php then I would guess it is not in the correct place or something...
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

Released to the Mods Database.

New thread:

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=465600

This thread may now be locked by a moderator(all questions may be answered in my thread at my personal board(lithiumstudios.org) or in the ModDB thread here(link above).
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

Locked as it is in the MODDB.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”