[ALPHA1] Custom Profile Fields

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Prince of phpbb

[ALPHA1] Custom Profile Fields

Post by Prince of phpbb » Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:56 am

MOD Name: Custom Profile Fields
MOD Description:This MOD will let an Administrator create custom profile fields. The field types would include text areas, text input boxes, radio buttons, and check boxes. Administrators are able to see what users have specified in these fields on the view profile page and would also be able to edit them.

Field Types:
  • Numbers
  • Single Text Field
  • Text Area
  • Boolean (Yes/No)
  • Drop Down Box
  • Date
Each type can be further enhanced by changing maxi/minimum character limits, default values and validation checks.

Other things that will looked at is an upgrade path to phpBB 3 once Olympus is released.

NOTE:
This is an ALPHA version which means it is going under major development. At the moment, this MOD will just allow you to create the fields in the ACP. Nothing More.

Download: Custom_Profile_Fields_0.0.1 [ALPHA1]

Screenshots: Features Requested:
  • Custom Field Title for a User
  • Fields arranged by Categories
Stuff Done So Far:
  • 09/05/07
    • MOD Author found ALIVE!!!
  • 16/07/06
    • Added the final option Edit
    • Cleaned up Create Option
    • Fixed a couple of bugs in Delete option
    • Created a function request_var (same function as in Olympus)
    • Cleaned up code
  • 13/07/06
    • Cleaned up code for enabling/disabling a field (Finalised)
    • Finished work on ordering fields (Finalised)
  • 10/07/06
    • Fields can be enabled and disabled
    • 'Borrowed' images from Olympus for Move Up/Down, Edit and Delete options
    • Added/Updated Screenshots
  • 07/07/06
    • Deleted a table (One of the Olympus tables is gone)
    • Finished up work on Create code and Create template
    • Database gets updated properly and fields show up nicely in ACP
  • 02/07/06
    • Started working on Create part of the code
    • Started a new template file (might not be available in final RC)
Comments:
Two times abandoned :lol: lets see if I can be third time lucky. First step, lets get messy. I'll try to post a starter code asap. My main concern though will be making it easier for people to upgrade to Olympus as well.

Wish me luck ;)

PS: I know there are loads of MODs out there which do something similar but there isn't one in MOD DB.
Last edited by Prince of phpbb on Thu May 10, 2007 2:06 am, edited 15 times in total.

Ramon Fincken

Post by Ramon Fincken » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:18 am

well good luck :)

What will this mod do better/faster then the existing xdata aka custom profiles mod?

xdata does exactly what your mod desc does, and you can order fields, or set them for usergroups only..

editprofile example:

Rfn
Dutch quality fully managed WordPress hosting - ManagedWPHosting.nl

Before changing a file, some code or installing a MOD >> Make a backup first!

Do you like my mods? paypal me $1 :) forumsoftware[AT}creativepulses[DOT}nl [/size]
PhpBBantispam.com || Instant find your mod here

Prince of phpbb

Post by Prince of phpbb » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:41 am

There are two reasons why I plan to work on this. Firstly, this thread http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... 33#1887933 > 5th MOD in the list ;) ..

Secondly, I have been using phpBB for over two years now and I want to become a part of it and want to do something for phpBB 2.x line. Moreover, I plan to make this compatible with Olympus (hopefully)

PS: If phpBB had a MOD like this in the database, I find it a bit weird to have it in Most Wanted list :roll:

Ramon Fincken

Post by Ramon Fincken » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:47 am

I am aware of that topic, see:
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... 87#2165587

I don't know why the mod is not in the database, but perhaps you can use it as a start ?

good luck again!

Rfn
Dutch quality fully managed WordPress hosting - ManagedWPHosting.nl

Before changing a file, some code or installing a MOD >> Make a backup first!

Do you like my mods? paypal me $1 :) forumsoftware[AT}creativepulses[DOT}nl [/size]
PhpBBantispam.com || Instant find your mod here

bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer » Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:30 pm

So are you going to backport the phpBB 3 code?
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .

Prince of phpbb

Post by Prince of phpbb » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:54 pm

Yea, at the moment that what I'm working on although I dont like that 'Each Option on a new line' kinda option so I will probably do a re-write of it.

Prince of phpbb

Post by Prince of phpbb » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:10 am

After working around six hours in two days which included studying how Olympus handled this Custom Profile Fields and designed a similar structure for phpBB 2.0.x

My first expression was 8O and to be honest I thought I wont be able to pull this one off but now I'm feeling quite optimistic. Hopefully, I'll post some code in the first week of the next month.

jeevan25

Post by jeevan25 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:10 am

Prince of phpbb wrote: There are two reasons why I plan to work on this. Firstly, this thread http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... 33#1887933 > 5th MOD in the list ;) ..

Secondly, I have been using phpBB for over two years now and I want to become a part of it and want to do something for phpBB 2.x line. Moreover, I plan to make this compatible with Olympus (hopefully)

PS: If phpBB had a MOD like this in the database, I find it a bit weird to have it in Most Wanted list :roll:

I think it is included in phpBB3. If you look in ACP, you can see it. But not sure though.

Prince of phpbb

Post by Prince of phpbb » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:50 am

jeevan25 wrote:
Prince of phpbb wrote:There are two reasons why I plan to work on this. Firstly, this thread http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... 33#1887933 > 5th MOD in the list ;) ..

I think it is included in phpBB3. If you look in ACP, you can see it. But not sure though.
Yes, it is :D and Olympus is in its Beta state. There isn't any launch date yet. phpBB 2.0.x hasn't got any Custom Profile Fields MOD ;) and you never know there might be some people who wont or couldnt (really heavily modded board) to Olympus.

When I say making it compatible with Olympus, I mean that if any board is using this MOD and they upgrade to Olympus, they wont have any issues because I'm using (trying my best) the same table structure. If everything goes to plan, all anyone would have to do is just upgrade the rest of the board to phpBB 3 and just forget that there is any Custom Profile Field MOD installed, everything will fall in its place.

PS: I know I've said alot but at the moment, all I've developed has been on the same structure as that of Olympus. So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Prince of phpbb

Post by Prince of phpbb » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:53 am

bonelifer wrote: So are you going to backport the phpBB 3 code?
Well I just wish I could say 'YESSS' but I cant :roll: most of things are handled differently then we have here at phpBB 2.0.x But who knows I might something which I can use :P

SpilltheBeans

Post by SpilltheBeans » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:57 am

There was an abandoned CPF mod. I'm using and testing it on my test site. You can see it at

http://www.petsay.com/forum

Look in the memberlist. The users have custom profile items. It's a test site so anyone can register and test out the mods there if they want. I don't know the thread of the old CPF but if you do a search for blankity blank, you might find it. He was the author.

Also, CH 2.1.6 has custom profile fields.
A site for people interested in personal electronics - MP3 players, digital cameras, camcorders
All my mods found at TripStir.com/forum/

Prince of phpbb

Post by Prince of phpbb » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:38 am

I wont comment on this ANYMORE .. I've updated the first post .. hopefully, it will hold your answer

Prince of phpbb

Post by Prince of phpbb » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:08 pm

Got the first screen shot in .. yeehaaaa ..

more .. laterzzz 8)

Aldyn

Post by Aldyn » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:27 pm

omg, i've been waiting for a mod exactly like this for ages!

i really hope you can pull it off! goodluck!

bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:02 pm

I'm glad you're adding a date option. It was the one thing that was missing from the MMW project.
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”