[ALPHA] phpBB Knowledge Base (MMW)

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member
Name: Mark Barnes

[ALPHA] phpBB Knowledge Base (MMW)

Post by MarkTheDaemon »

Knowledge Base MOD for phpBB
Fountain Of Apples wrote: A Knowledge Base MOD has been a very highly requested MOD, however it has never found its way into our MOD Database. This MOD would essentially establish a Knowledge Base which would be integrated into phpBB. The users of a board would be able to browse, post, etc. in the Knowledge Base using their same account on phpBB.

The Knowledge Base should be fully configurable from within the Admin Control panel. An admin would be able to set up categories for articles to be posted in (subcategories could be an available feature at MOD author's discretion). Permissions for the Knowledge Base should be able to be set on a per-category basis, similar to phpBB's Forum Permissions panel (with the same ALL/REG/PRIVATE/MOD/ADMIN groups). Permissions should be able to be set for any action that can be taken in the Knowledge Base, such as posting articles, commenting on articles, editing, deleting, etc. Users and/or groups can be assigned to moderate categories. The Knowledge Base should also integrate other phpBB technologies where appropriate, for example, BBCode for posting articles/comments.

History of this MOD

This MOD was a idea that was brought up on the MMW topic located here

Screenshots

Update coming soon...

Demo

http://demo.phpbbknowledgebase.org

Download This MOD

WARNING: This package is not to be used on a live forum. It may contain bugs and/or security issues that we haven't discovered yet. For the safety of your users and your forum do not use it on a live forum. We will not support anyone doing this.

The Alpha 1 release package is available for download in two different formats (.zip and .tar.gz), and is available for download via our SourceForge downloads page.

After downloading, installing and finding some bugs ;), we hope that you will report them to the bugtracker. Please check any existing bugs already in the tracker to ensure we don't get duplicates :).

Feature Requests

Feature Requests can be posted in our dedicated feature request forum over on the main site. We have re-opened the feature request forum since the release of Alpha 1.

Bugs

Please report all bugs in the bug tracker. We will accept SVN bugs, providing you tell us the time that the checkout was made so we can pinpoint the error.

Tracking Development

You can track the latest codechanges by checking out a copy of this MODs SVN. To check out a copy you need to copy the URL below into your SVN client. For more information on SVN visit Sourceforges SVN area here

Main Branch:

Code: Select all

https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/phpbbkb/main/trunk/
Please note that this is a live copy, and some bits may not be working/not there at times when we are developing the code :)

I also recommend that you subscribe to the phpbkb-checkins mailing list in order to keep up with the latest versions of the code. Each time a new commit is added to the SVN server this mailing list will notify you via your chosen email :)

IRC & Forums

There is a IRC channel for your convenience. It is ##phpbb-kb and is located on the freenode network. (irc.freenode.net)

We also have forums at http://forums.phpbbknowledgebase.org

Helping Out

Testers: Testers are always welcome here ;-). If you do find a bug please report it, dont sit on it. If you don't report it we don't know about it and therefore we can't fix it.

Documentators: See this post for more information regarding this position :).

Links

Links to all of the various important areas are located here

Main KB Site
KB Code Demo
Bugtracker
Feature Requests
Alpha Support
Documentation Wiki

Edit History (All times GMT):
21/07/2006 - 12:41 - "Helping Out" Added
24/07/2006 - 12:41 - Forums & Mailing List Added
24/07/2006 - 16:16 - Subversion details added
25/07/2006 - 01:44 - Feature Request Added
26/07/2006 - 18:29 - "Bugs" Added
09/08/2006 - 14:30 - Added the forum offline status
14/10/2006 - 03:15 - Renewed Forums & SVN status
13/02/2007 - 17:00 - Updated loads of things (logos, faq logo etc.)
20/02/2007 - 01:37 - Updated a lot (FAQ, downloads, bugs, added documentators
07/03/2007 - 00:17 - Massive update, Alpha 1 has been released, w00t! ^_^
26/03/2007 - 23:00 - Added screenshot link for Alpha 2
14/08/2007 - 09:12 - Massive URL re-mapping going on. Moving things about so URLs may still change yet. Updated a couple of sections as well
Last edited by MarkTheDaemon on Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:18 am, edited 27 times in total.
MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member

Post by MarkTheDaemon »

Has development started yet?
Indeed it has, and while our developers are working as hard as they can, they do have personal lives and other commitments; and thus can’t get as much as they would like done.

When will phpBB KB be ready for release?
All we can say to that is don’t expect phpBB KB to be ready in the near future. Coding a MOD of this size takes time, even with a team of developers.

Will you send the MOD to the MODDB here at phpBB.com?
When we feel the MOD is ready for validation we will submit it to the MODDB here at phpBB.com.

I'm not very good at coding PHP, is there anything else I can help out with?
Of course! You can help test our Alpha 1 release or you could apply to be a phpBB KB documentator (see the revelant posts for more details).
Last edited by MarkTheDaemon on Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:19 am, edited 7 times in total.
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Mark, I figured this would be fine as a public question rather than a PM, if not, let me know and I'll delete it. :-) Regarding your "help wanted", do you have an idea as to what you would like, in the way of participation? Do you want design ideas? coding help? graphic designers? All of the above? :lol: If you can provide some more details about what you're looking for it would help me decide if I can help. I've been wanting a KB MOD for a long time, but it's a big project ;-) and I've spent my time in other areas.

But I would potentially like to offer to help, depending on the type of help you're looking for...
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member

Post by MarkTheDaemon »

Hey drathbun,

Design ideas are always good. How do you (i.e the community) want to MOD to work, how do they want it to look etc.

Developing the actual MOD is always a challenge and therefore the way i see it would be for a number of us (you included if you wish) to join together and develop this, as it is a fairly large MOD for one person to develop. Obviously developers will need to know how to use Subversion for the commits as i plan to have this thing in the SVN repo.

Graphics are also needed, as I am really useless when it comes to graphics :oops:

Hope this answers your questions :)

Mark
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

MarkTheDaemon wrote: Hey drathbun,

Call me Dave if you like, I've already called you Mark... :-)
Design ideas are always good. How do you (i.e the community) want to MOD to work, how do they want it to look etc.

There are - in my opinion - three sources for design ideas. First, the existing phpBB KB. Even if we can't see the code, we can see how the interface looks and how the content is organized. Second, the KB MOD that was started some time ago... it's still present as a module of http://www.mx-system.com/ as far as I can tell. It is no longer developed here on this site (thus the MMW status) but I expect that we can again get ideas for interface design and organization. Third... wiki. :-) I have been torn between setting up a KB and figuring out how to integrate a wiki with my board. There are some advantages to both, as I see it.

My php skills are okay, probably better than average. But 90% of all people feel they are better than average drivers, eh? :lol: Everyone always thinks they're better than they really are, I guess. I feel that I write good code but there's always room for improvement. I have extensive database design experience, so that's where I would like to offer some help at the beginning... getting a solid design of the database helps a lot in setting up for a successful project.
Developing the actual MOD is always a challenge and therefore the way i see it would be for a number of us (you included if you wish) to join together and develop this, as it is a fairly large MOD for one person to develop. Obviously developers will need to know how to use Subversion for the commits as i plan to have this thing in the SVN repo.

I've been looking at getting started with SVN, this is as good a reason as any.
Graphics are also needed, as I am really useless when it comes to graphics :oops:

Here, I am useless as well. 8O
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

Post by igorw »

I might be able to help a bit with the graphics ;)

Glad to see this project being developed again! After some attempts... :D
Igor Wiedler | area51 | GitHub | trashbin | Formerly known as evil less than three
MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member

Post by MarkTheDaemon »

Dave: Get ready for some post disection ;-)

The first KB MOD i came across was the MX System one, it was ok, but i had some issues with it (namely it not working correctly with Firefox). There was also a security issue sometime back.

I totally agree with the database design point you've made, as the KB will need a good solid codebase, as i personally feel that this is a MOD that will be well used.

The Wiki point, my view is that a Wiki will never overtake a Knowledge Base, purely because users can submit articles and the admin can configure the KB to approve all articles etc. As you i think both have their own merits and downfalls.

evil<3: Graphics people are always welcome ;-)

Mark
igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

Post by igorw »

Just say what you need. Like subSilver style Buttons ect. "New Article". Well i guess it will take a while until this is needed.
Igor Wiedler | area51 | GitHub | trashbin | Formerly known as evil less than three
gamerxgirl

Post by gamerxgirl »

Why don't you base your work off of the old already existing knowledge base? :wink: Glad someone has decided to take this up.
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

gamerxgirl wrote: Why don't you base your work off of the old already existing knowledge base? :wink: Glad someone has decided to take this up.

No offense to Authors but the existing examples are quite hideous. It would be better starting from scratch than stripping out the rubbish, trust me I have been there ;)
Chris SmithGitHub
MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member

Post by MarkTheDaemon »

My plan for this MOD is to not use any other of the abandoned KB MODs out there. I plan, with a team, to build this MOD from the ground up, therefore ensuring we know the code and know where to take this MOD.

Mark
Wo1f

Post by Wo1f »

I'm glad to see you're taking this project on Mark. If I had the time, I would definitely volunteer. But you can count on me as a tester and quality control inspector so to speek. :lol:

Regards,
Wolf
MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member

Post by MarkTheDaemon »

Wo1f wrote: I'm glad to see you're taking this project on Mark. If I had the time, I would definitely volunteer. But you can count on me as a tester and quality control inspector so to speek. :lol:

Regards,
Wolf

Thanks for the kind words Wolf. Always good to hear from you :)

As i said in the first post, testers are always welcome here :P

Mark
thecharmed01
Former Team Member

Post by thecharmed01 »

And of course Im down with heading up the image side of things for you Mark!!
8)

Just let me know what you need!!
Please refrain from PM'ing me for support unless I specifically ask you to.......

Helpful Pages: ~ [Styles FAQ] ~ [Styles User Guide] ~ [Styles Submission Policy]
My Site: [C1 Web Design]
| Mum | Web Designer | Airsoft Player| Business Owner|
Prince of phpbb

Post by Prince of phpbb »

Hi Mark,

Nice to see you working on KB MOD .. I will really be glad if I can be of any help (writing code, building up logic etc). Do drop me a PM and I'll love to write bits and bobs for you ;)

Prince

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”