[ALPHA] phpBB Knowledge Base (MMW)

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias »

first post wrote: Forums currently offline, moving to a new server. The IRC channel is still available however!
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|
Offering private web hosting. Contact me for details.
Elias

Post by Elias »

How is this MOD going? Haven't heard of any of you guys telling us the progress or anything.
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member
Name: Mark Barnes

Post by MarkTheDaemon »

Indeed, i've been moving the forums to a new server and they *should* be online now.

EY: Development continues ;), if you have something that you would like to see please request it :)

Mark
Elias

Post by Elias »

Well i got a question:

Will this KB also be like the one phpbb.com has? Like you can search for articles,add an article..etc?
MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member

Post by MarkTheDaemon »

EY wrote: Will this KB also be like the one phpbb.com has? Like you can search for articles,add an article..etc?

EY, it's a Knowledge Base. Suffice to say i think people will want to add articles and search articles ;).

Mark
Peter VDD

Post by Peter VDD »

Board is being down for quite a while now... project still going on?
MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member

Post by MarkTheDaemon »

I've really let this one slide haven't i, and for that i apologize.

The reason you have been experiencing downtime on the main board is because i am currently in the process of moving all of my and my clients sites to a new server. As they say, clients come first, and thus i haven't had time to move over the main bulk of the site. The DNS entries have been changed on the domain however, which is why some of you are experiencing placeholders.

Thanks to drathbun for prodding me about this, and reminding me to make a post about it.

The IRC channel is available; ##phpbb-kb on the freenode (irc.freenode.net) network.

I aim to have the site and board back and running very soon, so stay tuned :).

Mark
AcousticJames

Post by AcousticJames »

I would like to offer PHP coding help if it is needed. I feel that I am proficient enough with PHP and phpBB to help out. You can contact me through email/PM/website anytime!

James

P.S. I don't have tons of time, though. I do have work, school and family, but am willing to offer what I can with the free time I do have.
MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member

Post by MarkTheDaemon »

I'm happy to say the forums are back online at http://www.phpbbknowledgebase.com/board/ :D.

AcousticJames: I've sent you a PM :).

Mark
ZapZap

Post by ZapZap »

MarkTheDaemon wrote: I'm happy to say the forums are back online at http://www.phpbbknowledgebase.com/board/ :D.

AcousticJames: I've sent you a PM :).

Mark

sorry but board still down
mattlech

Post by mattlech »

Yeah I"m getting the same thing.
Matthew lechtenberg
http://vincemedia.com
rrasco

Post by rrasco »

loads for me. small boards, but it loads.

what is the time frame on this mod? it appears to be what i have been looking for.

would this be something for a database of How To articles?
http://www.putfile.com/rrasco - My Media
http://www.cbrextreme.com - Honda CBR Community
http://www.snackbar-games.com - Your Games, Your Site, Your Community.
MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member

Post by MarkTheDaemon »

rrasco: As has been said in the FAQ, we currently don't have a estimated time for release of even Alphas/Betas.

Mark
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

Ok, I just started browsing to see what you guys were up to, and I don't think you know what you want to do yet...

If you want it to be compatible with phpBB2, phpBB3, and phpBB2 CH Mod, IMHO it would be the best to code the main areas from scratch. Otherwise I really do not see it working without major changes for each version.

The way I would code it in that case would be to keep phpBB integration functions separate from the core KB functions.

For example...(don't give much thought to the file and function naming schemes I use, files are just named as what they are doing right now)

1. Someone submits a new article...
2. Submit.php takes in the info and sends it to a function called insert_db() in functions.php
3. Since this board is running phpBB3 it takes the "generic" information we wanted to insert and formats it to fit the phpBB3 format(kinda hard to explain what I mean here, but it just inserts the info the way you would in phpBB3)
4.Done inserting, and brings them to the article page.

Where it actually inserts the db info the insert_db() function(of course the db function would be much bigger than just insert, probably a class, but I just want a simple example) it does a check to see what kind of board it is on, and then takes the generic style info it is supposed to insert and formats it to fit that board's version.

The same kind of thing would be used for login, and any other area where it needs to interact with the phpBB core.

The only things the user would have to do to add this mod other than inserting tables and uploading files would be a few edits to add the link in the header, and a few edits to add the checkboxes and stuff in the search section so they can pick if they want to search within the KB or not.

Oh, and it could use the integrated search section as well. I don't know the db structure of the search table, but at most you would have to add a column saying that something was found in the KB. But I do not know how the searches do their business, I have never checked out the code or db tables for myself.

It is kinda hard to explain, and I am pretty bad at explaining things, but I hope you get what I mean.
Prince of phpbb

Post by Prince of phpbb »

@EXreaction

Well to be really honest I really dont know where you went 'looking' 8O .. we do know what we want and we do know how to code it .. Yes there were certain issues being discussed by developers but to say we dont know what to do is just harsh!

And finally thanks alot for your suggestion. We'll see what we can make of them :)

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”