[ALPHA] phpBB Knowledge Base (MMW)

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Post Reply
MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member
Posts: 2770
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:42 am
Location: United Kingdom
Name: Mark Barnes

Post by MarkTheDaemon »

EXreaction wrote: Ok, I just started browsing to see what you guys were up to, and I don't think you know what you want to do yet...


As per Prince, the reason we have a developers board is to discuss developers ideas; this may not be publically available, but stating that we don't know what we are doing is slightly offensive to me personally.

Mark
User avatar
drathbun
Former Team Member
Posts: 12204
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2002 3:51 pm
Location: TOPICS_TABLE
Contact:

Post by drathbun »

He didn't say we didn't know what we're doing, he said it seemed that we didn't know what we wanted to do, which is an entirely different matter. Given the lack of progress, that's probably not far from the truth. :-)

I think the suggestions certainly have some merit.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
Image
Prince of phpbb
Registered User
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:29 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by Prince of phpbb »

Well about the progress .. I would just wont comment till I've done my commit (which will around weekend) .. and as for the development .. well its kinda tough when there are over five developers who just want to act as 'advisors' and 'on-lookers' and dont want to do some actual developing!
User avatar
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Posts: 5666
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Wisconsin, U.S.
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

drathbun wrote: He didn't say we didn't know what we're doing, he said it seemed that we didn't know what we wanted to do, which is an entirely different matter. Given the lack of progress, that's probably not far from the truth. :-)

I think the suggestions certainly have some merit.


Yes, that is what I meant, I couldn't see anything on what you guys were planning, here, at the dev board, or in the SVN, so I figured you didn't have a plan yet. :P

You can keep me in mind if you have some work you want me to do. I am going to be busy for the next week or so, but after that I think I have some free time. :)
Prince of phpbb wrote: Well about the progress .. I would just wont comment till I've done my commit (which will around weekend) .. and as for the development .. well its kinda tough when there are over five developers who just want to act as 'advisors' and 'on-lookers' and dont want to do some actual developing!


Ok, so you are already working on it.

I will wait and see to find what you have come up with. :)
Prince of phpbb
Registered User
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:29 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by Prince of phpbb »

Thanks EXreaction..

Just drop me a PM when your free and willing to code .. We can make some use of an extra hand ;)
User avatar
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Posts: 5666
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Wisconsin, U.S.
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

Ok, I am actually starting to plan out a Jukebox mod for phpBB2/3 CH.

So I am thinking a lot of the modules we make for this(to integrate with 2/3/CH) will work great for what I am planning. 8)

Do you have a forum on your Dev forum for Development talk and planning? So I can get an idea where we are going and what everyone is doing?
User avatar
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Posts: 5666
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Wisconsin, U.S.
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

Hmm, I think I know a better way to do this...

What if you used a copy of phpBB3 CVS, and then hacked it to work as a stand alone Knowledge Base? With each CVS commit you would have to keep updating it, but that isn't that hard to do...

That way it has all the stuff you want and more, and it should be somewhat easy to make it integrate with any forum system(the hard part would be templating I think)
User avatar
ZombieSlayer
Registered User
Posts: 951
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 3:18 am
Location: California
Contact:

Post by ZombieSlayer »

It wouldn't be CH (categories heiarchy) compatible that way. Which is one of the reasons I think it wasn't approached that way.

Besides not everyone will jump to phpBB3 anyways. So make it compatible with the 2.x. Maybe it will work as is (once completed) with 3.x, I have no clue as I don't care about 3.x.
User avatar
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Posts: 5666
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Wisconsin, U.S.
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

ZombieSlayer wrote: It wouldn't be CH (categories heiarchy) compatible that way. Which is one of the reasons I think it wasn't approached that way.

Besides not everyone will jump to phpBB3 anyways. So make it compatible with the 2.x. Maybe it will work as is (once completed) with 3.x, I have no clue as I don't care about 3.x.


Ya it would...it would work with any forum system you want it to with minor tweaking. You would have to use the login system, some of the templating system, and a little of the language system of the host forum, you wouldn't need anything else...
Prince of phpbb
Registered User
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:29 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by Prince of phpbb »

At the moment, phpBB3 is in Beta Stages and this thread is located in the Development Section of a phpBB 2 Community. So, the main concern at the moment, yes, you got it right ;) phpBB 2. We'll see how we can upgrade the MOD etc when phpBB 3 is released.
User avatar
ZombieSlayer
Registered User
Posts: 951
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 3:18 am
Location: California
Contact:

Post by ZombieSlayer »

EXreaction wrote: Ya it would...it would work with any forum system you want it to with minor tweaking. You would have to use the login system, some of the templating system, and a little of the language system of the host forum, you wouldn't need anything else...


Also would have to use the usergroup and auth system from CH too (I think). CH 2.1.6 completely redoes the usergroups and auths (and others).

So yea it may be workable...but a real pita (at least for me, but I haven't seen the code for phpBB 3.x and obviously this MOD), if it was based on phpBB 3.x.

However the Prince says it will be based on phpBB 2.x so I suppose it's a mute point....sorry for rambling.
User avatar
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Posts: 5666
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Wisconsin, U.S.
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

Well, I will just have to wait and see how you guys do this...
Imladris
Registered User
Posts: 190
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:53 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Name: Andreas Nexmann
Contact:

Yay!

Post by Imladris »

Hi out there guys!

I recently (tuesday) joined the KB dev team and i have started comitting code. A lot of stuff actually ^^ At the moment im working on the user end to create the first kind of articles. However, we are, or so it seems, quite short on developers at the moment, noone except me and prince of phpbb seems to be active really. Anyways, i hope that we can see results out soon!
Logical Nightmare
Registered User
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:00 am

Post by Logical Nightmare »

Just a little input from me, I noticed while browsing the SVN that you are using the __construct php5 constructor, shouldnt that be a php4 constructor, or atleast have the php4 constructor call the __construct method since thats what phpBB is intended for?

ucp_class.php (line 26, rev 20)
I like pie!
User avatar
igorw
Former Team Member
Posts: 8024
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:23 pm
Location: {postrow.POSTER_FROM}
Name: Igor Wiedler

Re: Yay!

Post by igorw »

Imladris wrote: Hi out there guys!

I recently (tuesday) joined the KB dev team and i have started comitting code. A lot of stuff actually ^^ At the moment im working on the user end to create the first kind of articles. However, we are, or so it seems, quite short on developers at the moment, noone except me and prince of phpbb seems to be active really. Anyways, i hope that we can see results out soon!


Sounds great! Good luck!
Igor Wiedler | area51 | GitHub | trashbin | Formerly known as evil less than three
Post Reply

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”