[ABD] Topic Points 0.6.4 (MMW) (Updated 2006-11-20)

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Waters

Post by Waters »

drathbun wrote: If as a user I rated one topic + and the other - then which rating applies to the new topic? It cannot be both.

This could be a problem...

Because an user would be voting twice on the same topic. One thing would search for each user votes to see who voted on both. After this, add up the points on both topics and divide by two (T1 points given + T2 points given /2), then add up on the resulting topic.
drathbun wrote: If a user rated one topic but not the other, would they approve their rating becoming part of the new topic? Granted the user can always go in and re-rate the merged topic.

Maybe this won't be a problem: we have to assume that both topics were too alike that the board moderators had to merge them.
drathbun wrote: You bring up a good point though, what happens to topic ratings on a split topic? I'll have to think about that.

Maybe the best way is to make all the ratings to stay on the original topic. The new thread built with those posts would start unrated.
IPB_Refugee
Name: Wolfgang Weber

Post by IPB_Refugee »

drathbun wrote: For a future release (version 2?) I would like to allow the board admin to set the ratings, a numeric value for each, and an icon for each as well. That would make it more flexible.

Great ideas! :P
drathbun wrote: To get the MOD done within the time frame that I have available, I had to cut some corners. :-)

No problem - best wishes for you!

Wolfgang
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Waters wrote:
drathbun wrote:If as a user I rated one topic + and the other - then which rating applies to the new topic? It cannot be both.

This could be a problem...

Because an user would be voting twice on the same topic. One thing would search for each user votes to see who voted on both. After this, add up the points on both topics and divide by two (T1 points given + T2 points given /2), then add up on the resulting topic.

In the initial release it's only going to be one of three values, -1, 0, or 1. So there's no averaging, as there's no "half point" ratings. I started thinking about this with relation to watching a topic. If two topics are merged, the user continues to watch the final topic. The final topic is the one being merged "to" and therefore the one that retains it's topic_id value.

Again, I'm not going to write this in the initial release, but I think my approach would be to drop the "from" topic rating and keep the "to" topic rating and go with that.
Maybe this won't be a problem: we have to assume that both topics were too alike that the board moderators had to merge them.

Never assume. ;-)
drathbun wrote:You bring up a good point though, what happens to topic ratings on a split topic? I'll have to think about that.

Maybe the best way is to make all the ratings to stay on the original topic. The new thread built with those posts would start unrated.

Which again follows how the watch topic works. If a topic is split, you are not automatically watching it. Same handling for ratings seems to make sense.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
Marvi

Post by Marvi »

Where is the link to download, please let us know!
Thank you.
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Marvi wrote: Where is the link to download, please let us know!
Thank you.

There isn't one yet, it's not completed at this time. A download link will be in the first post of the topic, and I always update the title of my topics when the status changes. Thanks.
IPB_Refugee
Name: Wolfgang Weber

Post by IPB_Refugee »

Hello drathbun,

just a quick but important question: In the first version there will be only 3 ways to rate a topic: good, bad and indifferent. In version 2 we will have more options. :P

Now the question: Will we be able to update from the beta version to version 2 without loosing ratings/data? Or should we waite till version 2 is released?

Greetings,
Wolfgang
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

IPB_Refugee wrote: just a quick but important question: In the first version there will be only 3 ways to rate a topic: good, bad and indifferent. In version 2 we will have more options. :P

Now the question: Will we be able to update from the beta version to version 2 without loosing ratings/data? Or should we waite till version 2 is released?

Geez, you're asking about an upgrade path for software that isn't even written yet! :lol: First things first, I'm not sure when version 2 will even be started, much less finished. So any questions about an upgrade path are probably premature.
vrflyer

Post by vrflyer »

Intrested.... :wink:
Always Under Construction !
baldahin

Post by baldahin »

waiting for public release. thanks!
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

It will be at bare minimum two weeks before there is an update for this as I have had a rather large project dropped in my lap in my real job. My time spent for leisure coding has just been cut to zero for the next few weeks.

Thanks for your patience. 8)
Comy

Re: [DEV] Topic Ratings (MMW)

Post by Comy »

drathbun wrote: MOD Title: Topic Ratings
MOD Description: Allows board members to rate (thumbs up / thumbs down) a topic
MOD Version: 0.2.0

MOD Download: Coming at BETA status
Last Stable version: N/A
Last Code Update: N/A

This MOD will allow board members to rate a topic with a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" style of rating. I will provide a basic graphic with the MOD download. I understand that thumbs up/down may be offensive in some cultures, so you're on your own to create different graphics if that's the case.

Where is this MOD to download ?

Thanks
igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

Post by igorw »

Comy wrote: Where is this MOD to download ?

Thanks

This MOD hasn't been released yet. You'll have to wait ;)
Igor Wiedler | area51 | GitHub | trashbin | Formerly known as evil less than three
Comy

Post by Comy »

eviL<3 wrote:
Comy wrote:Where is this MOD to download ?

Thanks

This MOD hasn't been released yet. You'll have to wait ;)

:cry: :wink: :lol: thanks for the information.
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

DEV topics do not require source code to be available. ALPHA / BETA topics do. :-) I'm still working through some of the design ideas presented by other posters in this topic. I would rather take a bit longer and incorporate some of the good ideas and only release one release than have to provide update scripts. 8)
Marvi

Post by Marvi »

We´r troubly waiting for this. :D

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”