[BETA] FIND - Forum Integrated News Delivery - Input

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

Is the feed you're using actually providing any text?

Do you have a url for the feed to test?
Defend the game:

PhilippT

Post by PhilippT »

yes this it i testet over 50 feeds an all are shown this way (are they really rare) (i mean german ones)
-------------------
but if you edit a feed the drop down forum menu is set back to the first forum....

netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

I can't help you unless you provide a url of a feed you are trying to use for me to test with.
Defend the game:

PhilippT

Post by PhilippT »

http://foxhome.de/siterdf-1_1.php

but i think i only had a bad hand... but if you hit the edit feed button the forum of the edited fedd is set to the first forum... if you not set it back your feed will be delivered to the wrong forum

netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

When i test this i get...
Jetzt auf DVD und Video ... Read more...

Source: 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment Germany

but i think i only had a bad hand... but if you hit the edit feed button the forum of the edited fedd is set to the first forum... if you not set it back your feed will be delivered to the wrong forum

Yes, sorry. This is a know bug and willb e fixed in the next version which should be available very soon.
Defend the game:

PhilippT

Post by PhilippT »

I found a site and dont found it here elsewher... (mean dont kill me for only posting a link ;-))

http://myrss.com

netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

PhilippT wrote: I found a site and dont found it here elsewher... (mean dont kill me for only posting a link ;-))

Cool! That looks interesting :)
Defend the game:

Haywood Jahelpme

Post by Haywood Jahelpme »

That is awesome!!! Just what I needed! Thanks PhilippT!

pengrus

Post by pengrus »

Did anyone try this with 2.05? I am waiting and hoping this will work all right with the 2.0.5.

Thank you!

beggers

Post by beggers »

PhilippT wrote: I found a site and dont found it here elsewher... (mean dont kill me for only posting a link ;-))

I am a bit confused about this. The above site seems to offer headline feeds similar to Moreover (you click on the headline and go to the publisher's site to read the article). My questions are:

1. Is this mod going to bring the headlines into phpBB as topics/posts? Would the purpose of this be to generate conversations about the news?

2. Are there similar news sources which would allow this mod to also bring in complete articles?

Thanks for any advice!

Bryan

Haywood Jahelpme

beggers: I think if you read the first post it will become clear...
MOD Author wrote: This mod takes your typical common or garden rss / xml news feeds and delivers them direct to your forums, i.e. inserts them as posts right into the forum(s) of your choice.

I currently have it working on my site delivering some techie news articles. It's using a cron job to fire a php script which grabs the xml file, parses it, checks to see if the message exists already in the designated forum, if not then it inserts it as a new topic.

It's setup to use an existing user account (i've created an account specifically for it on my forums). Each news feed can be delivered to a different forum if required. You can limit the number of articles which will be returned from the news feed, i have it set to prune the articles after 2 weeks so there is a balance to be struck between the prune interval, the number of articles returned and the frequency of change of the news feed to avoid getting pruned messages re-inserted.

All the topic / post counts of both the forums and the user are kept up to date. Also all the search information is updated

beggers

Post by beggers »

Haywood Jahelpme wrote: beggers: I think if you read the first post it will become clear...

Thanks, I read that and installed the mod. I got a couple of feeds working but neither one has articles associated with it, just headlines.

Haywood Jahelpme

Yeah, that is the frustrating thing about some of these feeds... You have to poke around to find ones that provide actual content other than a link back.... I take it you followed some of the links at the bottom of the Admin panel? And I think I found some thru this thread on Netclectic's site.

Also, look around on websites you visit for the RSS/XML logo... That is how I found some of the ones I use. I would love to get one from Moreover.com or alternet.org and this little link has that... Only problem is there is not really any text included besides a headline (as you observed). Not enough to entice me to follow yet ANOTHER link... Maybe if we sponsor it they give us the option to get text thru the feed (maybe the first 50 or so words), but I don't think I should have to pay to advertise their articles.... It may happen, it may not...

As it is, no one is really reading the articles that get posted because there is so much other stuff... What I may start doing is injecting them back into the discussion forums instead of their own newsfeed forums (which are off the main index page due to excess clutter....) I like this mod a lot and am also playing with the OUTPUT mod, which you should also check out...

PhilippT

Post by PhilippT »

pengrus wrote: Did anyone try this with 2.05? I am waiting and hoping this will work all right with the 2.0.5.

Thank you!

it works fine on my 2.0.5

pengrus

Post by pengrus »

Thank you so much for letting me know. Now I am ready to upgrade!

:lol:

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”