[BETA] FIND - Forum Integrated News Delivery - Input

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Mythor

Post by Mythor »

[begin php semi-newbie thoughts]
The Statistics Mod v2, the mod that shows you all sorts of stats on your forum like most viewed posts, most used emoticons, etc, has a "cache" system, where the statistics aren't updated if they've been calculated within X minutes of the current request.

Could you possibly do something similar where the forum would store the time that it last checked for news, and then each time someone loads a page it checks to see if X time has elapsed, and if so, it fetches the latest news?

I've no idea how much of a drain that would be on the server and so forth. Perhaps you could set it to only do it if the news forum is loaded?

Anyway, it was just a thought. :)
[/end newbieness]

There's an RSS phpBB mod floating around I believe? Anyone have any idea if those RSS files work with "FIND"? :)

netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

Mythor wrote: There's an RSS phpBB mod floating around I believe? Anyone have any idea if those RSS files work with "FIND"? :)

Yes, they should (though i haven't checked). Any RSS / RDF files should work. Have a look here for some good newsfeed sources. The difficult part is finding ones which have a good summary, otherwise you end up with empty posts in your forums with just a link to Read More.
Mythor wrote: Could you possibly do something similar where the forum would store the time that it last checked for news, and then each time someone loads a page it checks to see if X time has elapsed, and if so, it fetches the latest news?

Yes, i experimented with that and though not too difficult to do i decided i preferred the "Automated" method. A) because you can set it up to run at time when you no there is little activity on your forums and B) because if it's run as more of a batch job then the people providing the newsfeeds are less likely to get upset at you stealing their bandwidth every x minutes.

With the news output mod it's upto the admin whether they want to output only as a file or make the feed directly available from a url. If it's only available as a file then the output can be automated to update the file at specific times otherwise you're relying on the people using the feed url not to abuse it, bringing your forums to a halt ;)

If others are interested i may look at including the option in the future.
Defend the game:

netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

Wowzer! We're in the news...

Codingtheweb.com has included a link to this thread in their php newsfeed!! 8O
codingtheweb.com wrote: RSS comes to PHPBB
You can now use the incredibly popular, powerful and free forum software PHPBB as a newsfeed management system.

:D :D :D
Defend the game:

fishfreek

Post by fishfreek »

Awsome DUDE!!!

How are we comming along with this? I have to admit I have not read many of the lastest postings and I probably should. Depending on how this works I just might drop this into my site.

I like to give my users "cool stuff" overload.
Have you joined the PetAdvice Network?

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so ask me how to join our local Shenandoah Valley aquarium group.

netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

As things stand the input and the output mods shold be fully functional. I'm currently working on a weblog mod which should tie in quite nicely.

Everything you need to know should be in the first post - http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=42364
Defend the game:

fishfreek

Post by fishfreek »

Dangit. I think my site is to specific in its purpose as the only possible news feed I could find was broke.

I guess there is not much need for fishkeeper related news out there on the net :(
Have you joined the PetAdvice Network?

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so ask me how to join our local Shenandoah Valley aquarium group.

netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

Maybe you're just the man for the job!

Think of the service you could provide your users if you were to use the news output mod, i bet there are fishkeepers a plenty out there just crying out for a regular news update ;)
Defend the game:

DeWoert

Post by DeWoert »

Anybody knows a way to get this great mod working on PHP v 4.0.3 ??
Problems seems to be with the CLASS object.

Code: Select all

$rss_parser = new rssParser();

yawn

Post by yawn »

i like this mod.

what is all this cron business? can you explain

my site is on linux server.

netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

DeWoert wrote: Anybody knows a way to get this great mod working on PHP v 4.0.3 ??
Problems seems to be with the CLASS object.

$rss_parser = new rssParser();

I don't think it's so much a problem with the mod as a problem with earlier versions of php and their support for xml. You really ought to try and get your service provider to upgrade their version of php, not only will it fix this problem but it will fix some important security issues.

yawn wrote: what is all this cron business? can you explain

In basic terms it's a way of automating tasks to be run on the server at specified time intervals.

Have a read here - Newbie: Intro to cron
Cron is the name of program that enables unix users to execute commands or scripts (groups of commands) automatically at a specified time/date. It is normally used for sys admin commands, like makewhatis, which builds a search database for the man -k command, or for running a backup script, but can be used for anything. A common use for it today is connecting to the internet and downloading your email.
Defend the game:

yawn

Post by yawn »

Hi, im using a feed from the 'News is FREE' and the html comes in the post. i tried setting the member profile for the feed to allow html as well as allow html on the whole site but the html tags still dont convert :cry: :cry:

Have a look if u wish

Why does html not display

netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

Problem with your site...
phpBB : Critical Error

Error creating new session
Defend the game:

yawn

Post by yawn »

netclectic wrote: Problem with your site...
phpBB : Critical Error

Error creating new session

:( that happens everynow and then and i have no idea why.

it seems to be working fine at the mo www.chetas.co.uk

netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

try this...

in includes/functions_news.php
find

$board_config['allow_html']
replace with

true
Check the previous posts by editing the posts and making sure the 'Disable HTML in this post' isn't checked.
Defend the game:

pollix

Post by pollix »

Are you sure about that LaZer? Have a look at the rest of your define() functions in 'constants.php'.

The quotes are in the correct spots. Not criticizing, but everything looks correct without your change.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”