[ABD] Sub forums for 2.0.4

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
leokor

Post by leokor » Thu Oct 03, 2002 4:09 pm

DoubleDoom wrote:
leokor wrote:
No, I believe one does have to create extra two icons, for the folder-forum.

Leo

If you dont like the supplied icons, you replace them with ones from your existing template. Just use the same name.

Well, it's not like I don't like them. Just that they might not fit with some color schemes. Of course, one can use the same icons for folder-forums as for normal forums. Just that it needs to be mentioned, that's all.

Leo

DoubleDoom

Post by DoubleDoom » Thu Oct 03, 2002 4:11 pm

Swordfish wrote:
retroworld wrote:and another question, i don't know how to make SQL changes in the database (ok, with phpmyadmin but how?) so can someone please make a db_update.php file so i don't have to do this manually!!?!? please??!?!?

Is this possible?? Caus it's hard to make the changes, and it go very wrong :roll:

Well, I'm afraid I'll lose my posts :wink:

It's on my to do list, i just havent got round to it yet. The adjustments made to the database do nothing to the posts or users so you cant lose anything there. Just open phpmyadmin and copy and paste all four commands into the correct box. Make sure the database name matches in the four commands ie phpbb_xxxxxx or phpbb2_xxxxxxxx and the changes will be made with no problems at all.

Swordfish

Post by Swordfish » Thu Oct 03, 2002 4:59 pm

K, thanx anyway!

ronchi

Integrate different databases

Post by ronchi » Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:02 pm

Is it possible to integrate different forums that reside on different databases using a hierarchy structure? Having for example the top forums on a distributed db, and the leaf forums on different servers.
That will be a killer feature...

DoubleDoom

Re: Integrate different databases

Post by DoubleDoom » Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:15 pm

ronchi wrote: Is it possible to integrate different forums that reside on different databases using a hierarchy structure? Having for example the top forums on a distributed db, and the leaf forums on different servers.
That will be a killer feature...

Unfortunatly, no.

retroworld

Post by retroworld » Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:58 pm

i got a question, on my forum (and the forum of swordfish): http://forum.retrogames.nl there's the Terayon style installed, this style is based upon the SubSilver style... are there any differences when installing and if there are; will i be possible to install this mod on a Terayon forum?

ronchi

multiple forums on multiple database

Post by ronchi » Thu Oct 03, 2002 7:03 pm

But it's impossible to develop, starting from your code, or it's an implementable thing?

how much work do you think it needs?

dawizcy

Post by dawizcy » Thu Oct 03, 2002 11:34 pm

I think it's missing a vital option... well at least that was the mod is was hoping to find:

I would like to have a subforum also, but users should still be able to post in the main forum. So the sub forum would appear above the normal, sticky and announcements posts... can this mod do that, or easily be adjusted so it will?

Thanks
Download 82 additional phpBB smilies free at www.2dvalley.com/smilies.shtml Image Image

MartinK

Post by MartinK » Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:14 am

dawizcy wrote: I think it's missing a vital option...

Why do you think this feature is vital? I'm just curios... month ago, when i thought about that i got the feeling, that that feature would be more confusing than it would be helpfull... but i can always change my mind about that.
I would like to have a subforum also, but users should still be able to post in the main forum. So the sub forum would appear above the normal, sticky and announcements posts... can this mod do that, or easily be adjusted so it will?

No, this mod can not do that. But yes, i shouldn't be too hard to change the design a litte. Hm... the subcategories should be displayed in the messagelist of the top forum. Another option is to use the name of the top forum as link to the messagelist and a little graphic behind or in front of this to go down to the subcat. Thats the easiest but also the less optimal solution.

Enhancing the messagelist would be more than a little bit of work, but thats cleaner. Perhaps - but i don't think it would be of any good - we can change the design from the alternating subcategorie->subforum to a single top categorie, which contains forums and a recursive definition of forums containing forums themselfs. That would be more of the standard by other boards, people are used to it... but that would be 'killing' of features instead of adding them.

And very, very unfortunatly i have to say, that i don't have time to do this. DoubleDoom and Ralendil are doing fine in updating this mod to new releases of phpBB, but i think that the source is complicated and needs time to get used to it and to get the big picture (the 'why does this do that?' instead of the 'what does this do?'). So be nice to DoubleDoom and Ralendil so they keep updating but don't hope, DoubleDoom or Ralendil will rework the basic design. Sorry, i wish i could do some work on my own... if anyone knows of anythink to make a day last more than 24 hours let me know.

Greets,
Martin

dawizcy

Post by dawizcy » Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:34 am

Thanks for your reply.

Imagine a main forum with two sub forums... ... ... ok now imagine a new topic that contains information appropriate for both sub forums... instead of posting it twice it would be nice to be able to post in the main forum.

I could probably think of more reasons but I would need some sleep first...

The reason I need it is best explained with an example:
at http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=2
I want a subforum for the 'TechNotes' (these are small articles about the most common topics my visitors want to know more about) Now they are amongst the other post, I was thinking of making 'm all sticky notes or even try to create an additional type of post (besides normal, sticky and announcement) but the problem would show when 10, 20 or even more technotes are posted and listed below the announcement but above all normal posts... now they are just normal posts and soon will dissapear to the next page(s).... this resulted in my search for a subforum (to be placed on top of the list (of posts)... does this make any sense?

Thanks anyway!
if anyone knows of anything to make a day last more than 24 hours let me know.

The only thing I could come up with is not to sleep.... it doesn't actually make a day last more than 24 hours but after a couple of days it certainly seems that way... :wink:
Download 82 additional phpBB smilies free at www.2dvalley.com/smilies.shtml Image Image

DoubleDoom

Post by DoubleDoom » Fri Oct 04, 2002 8:51 am

Martin's code did the job fine for the earlier versions of the board. All we are doing now is making it easier to install, where we can, and change the odd bit of code to make it more compliant with phpbb 2.0.2 coding standards and perhaps optimise a bit of it here.

I have no specific plans to bring in any additional options to it because the next main version of phpbb is slated to have sub-forums built into it as standard. So its not really worth spending the time to develop it too much more. Having the VBB option of forums inside forums is a VBB thing. I can see pros and cons of having it. I've used both methods on my forums in the past. I did prefer the VBB method but those sub forums never got that much posting in them. The same forums on my phpbb version get far more posts than they ever did before. So i have to say that the average user seems to find the current method to be more user friendly.

As for other templates, this mod should have no problem working on any template. In the majority of cases, only the .tpl files are different.

This mod supplies 2 extra .tpl files for the admin folder. These are not affected by template changes. The index_body_sub.tpl is identical to the index_body.tpl but with the whosonline table removed. So, you can just copy the index_body.tpl and rename the copy as index_body_sub.tpl. Then you can decide if you want to remove the whosonline table or not.

As for .tpl files to edit, the majority is additional code. You just need to place it in the right place. Different templates may have different colspan etc values but the "{FORUM_HEADER}" etc will still be in there somewhere. Thats the bits you have to look for. If it is different, then dont replace the whole amount, just add the bit that is different. This is the problem you have when you dont use subsilver.

H0bbes13

Post by H0bbes13 » Fri Oct 04, 2002 4:46 pm

I seem to be having an interesting problem. When I browse to a sub-forum that has new messages and dont read the message but just "mark as read" the top level category still shows that there are new posts. But when I go into the threads that have the new posts and then go back up to the uppermost level it shows the "no new posts" icon. I dont think when you are marking subforums as read the main category post icon is getting the updated info.

I hope this makes sense...its hard to explain.
The WOLF Servers
An online gaming community
Our Forum

DoubleDoom

Post by DoubleDoom » Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:19 pm

H0bbes13 wrote: I seem to be having an interesting problem. When I browse to a sub-forum that has new messages and dont read the message but just "mark as read" the top level category still shows that there are new posts. But when I go into the threads that have the new posts and then go back up to the uppermost level it shows the "no new posts" icon. I dont think when you are marking subforums as read the main category post icon is getting the updated info.

I hope this makes sense...its hard to explain.

It makes sense and i tested it on my board and get the same as you. It only doesnt seem to update when you use the mark read inside the viewforum. If you do it on the index or you view the posts, it does update then.

I will look into it.

H0bbes13

Post by H0bbes13 » Fri Oct 04, 2002 6:35 pm

Sounds great My site with sub-forums just went live today after about 2 weeks of testing and adding other mods. It was a bear converting from a board with no sub-forums but overall it has been worth it.

To all the developers working on this mod...CHEERS!!! and GREAT WORK! This mod kicks a$$!
The WOLF Servers
An online gaming community
Our Forum

retroworld

Post by retroworld » Fri Oct 04, 2002 7:32 pm

i also think it's an awesome mod, but i'm just praying it will be installed alright :) cause there are already a few mods installed and i don't want to lose my entire forum!! :(

and i've already created the subfora images for the Terayon style, should i place these images somewhere so people can download them if they need them??

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”