[DEV] ToDo List

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
arhodes16
Former Team Member

[DEV] ToDo List

Post by arhodes16 »

Hi,

I've been developing a to-do list for my own personal use (in php) and was wondering whether it would be something that people would like to see as a mod for phpBB. A standalone (non-phpBB), basic and ugly looking version of the code can be seen here..

I was thinking of it being a semi-integrated thing for phpBB, a bit like how the Calendar mods work. It would probably include features such as making tasks viewable to all, or pivate to just yourself, etc. I've found its a good way to organise myself, and let anybody else who is interested in/affected by the work I am doing see whats going on.

Anyway, worth it or not?

(Note to moderators, not sure if this should go in requests, it isnt a request (its in development) although at the moment its the same sort of question as the things found in requests. Anyway, feel free to move me around)

PS - The tasks on the list above are from when i started developing it a few weeks back, and its not my live version, i'm not really that disorganised to have that many things overdue :D
netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

I could certainly use something like that.
Defend the game:
D4ni31

Post by D4ni31 »

Id use it. :)
Sleipnir64

Post by Sleipnir64 »

Me too :)
.::Neo::.

Post by .::Neo::. »

I like it!

How far are you with progressing?
| De Nederlandse phpBB Support Site | NO Support offered by PM or Mail! | Use Search before you ask Questions | MOD Template | Debug Mode |
arhodes16
Former Team Member

Post by arhodes16 »

I've got most of it done as a single php script so far, so really all that remains with it now is for me to make a few changes to get it running inside phpBB, using the phpBB users/tables etc. (But i've designed it with this in mind all along anyway).

My main problem is that the algorithm used to sort the tasks so that they are in the form
1) Task
2) Task
3) Task
4) Task
5) Task
6) Task
appears to have a bug in it, as it randomly messes up and sorts them wrong when I get above the ten tasks mark. Should be fairly simple to fix, but I've been wondering would people find it simpler if each task could be assigned a priority of between 1 - 5 (rather than a big list as it is at the moment, moving things up and down as the priorities change so most important is at top, least at bottom). That way, rather than the current output it would be more like,
1) Task (Nearest Date Due)
1) Task (Middle Date Due)
1) Task (Furthest Date Due) etc.
2) Task
2) Task
3) Task
4) Task
5) Task
5) Task
arhodes16
Former Team Member

Post by arhodes16 »

Just out of interest, if anybody has any vital features they would like putting in, now's the time to ask :) I'll hopefully be starting/finishing it soonish :)
netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

:lol:
3) Tidy Click the X to delete
So I can move my deskchair more than 4 inches in every direction....

How about these...
  • An index page add on showing outstanding tasks would be nice.
  • Being able to change the status, like 'On the back burner', 'Canned', 'Never gonna happen', 'Finished at last', etc.
  • Extending it to allow other users to keep a to do list (at the admin's discretion or by usergroup or rank maybe). Each user could see their own tasks on the index page.
I wouldn't say any of them were particularly vital but would make nice additions.
Defend the game:
arhodes16
Former Team Member

Post by arhodes16 »

Dont worry, the desk chair now moves a clear 18 inches each way now, i'm making progress ;)
netclectic wrote: An index page add on showing outstanding tasks would be nice.

Sounds good, I assume you mean onto the index of the forums right? Maybe at the top or bottom, like the news lists.
netclectic wrote: Being able to change the status, like 'On the back burner', 'Canned', 'Never gonna happen', 'Finished at last', etc.

Good idea :) If I implimented the 1-5 rank level for tasks, would it be a good idea to have each one allowed a 'label' do you think? So a level 4 could have the label 'On the back burner' (although you could set as many level 4 labels as you like), and level 5 could have the label 'Never gonna happen'. If that makes any sense ;)
netclectic wrote: Extending it to allow other users to keep a to do list (at the admin's discretion or by usergroup or rank maybe). Each user could see their own tasks on the index page.

I was thinking orignially to allow everybody to have one, but thinking about it, a mini-panel such as the ones for forum permissions (ie. reg users can have them, guests cant, group a can have them, group b cant etc.)

Good ideas anyway :) Best part is all of them are fairly easy to add in :)
netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

arhodes16 wrote: Sounds good, I assume you mean onto the index of the forums right? Maybe at the top or bottom, like the news lists.

Yes on the forums index. I'd probably move it to the side, but for the standard subSilver layout, either top of bottom.
arhodes16 wrote: If I implimented the 1-5 rank level for tasks, would it be a good idea to have each one allowed a 'label' do you think? So a level 4 could have the label 'On the back burner' (although you could set as many level 4 labels as you like), and level 5 could have the label 'Never gonna happen'. If that makes any sense ;)

I think it would be good to seperate priorities and statii (statuses? :? ). So you could have 'Priority 1 - Life or Death' down to 'Priority 5 - Pie in the Sky' but you've also got a status list which could show how near to completion each task is.
arhodes16 wrote: I was thinking orignially to allow everybody to have one, but thinking about it, a mini-panel such as the ones for forum permissions (ie. reg users can have them, guests cant, group a can have them, group b cant etc.)

Yeah something like that. Maybe even just a checkbox on the Group Administration page to enable to do list. This would probably also require an addition to a user's profile so they can set the access level for their to do list.
arhodes16 wrote: Good ideas anyway :) Best part is all of them are fairly easy to add in :)

Cool, so they'll all be done for tomorrow then ;)
Defend the game:
arhodes16
Former Team Member

Post by arhodes16 »

netclectic wrote: Cool, so they'll all be done for tomorrow then ;)

Lets just say do you think the kind of person who was so busy he had to make a php to do list would be able to do this for tomorrow? :P

(Seriously, just got a bit of php work to finish, then i'll get it done :) Just want to clear up what other people would want first :))
cwcollector

Portal.

Post by cwcollector »

Adam,
Nice work on the to do list. Did the portal idea die off?

Chuck
arhodes16
Former Team Member

Re: Portal.

Post by arhodes16 »

cwcollector wrote: Adam,
Nice work on the to do list. Did the portal idea die off?

Chuck

Pretty much yeah :( Mainly due to lack of developers/ideas and the fact that i'm extremely snowed under with work at the moment. Who knows though, I may get some time soon, but i've got to finish some paid php design off first, which I'm sure you can agree takes priority.

Speaking of being snowed under, just want to let anybody interested know that I am working on this, but its a bit slow at the moment due to other commitments, but when I have something ready for a beta release i'll post it here straight away. Of course, any feature ideas/comments are welcome still :)
cwcollector

Interested

Post by cwcollector »

Iam interested.

Chuck
netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

Hows it coming along?
4) phpMyToDo Click the X to delete
Just need to add an edit function/fix bugs

Finish Date: 09.05.02, 11:59 pm - Overdue!

8O
Defend the game:

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”