[RC] Emotisounds 1.0.2

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Analog2112

[RC] Emotisounds 1.0.2

Post by Analog2112 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:07 am

The following is the result of a project I did for our gaming clan, I think it turned out well and thought there might be a interest in turning it into a MOD for the community.

MOD Title:Emotisounds
MOD Version: 1.0.2
MOD Installation Level: Intermediate
MOD Home: Support Etc
MOD Download: Emotisounds
Sound Packs Emotisound Packs
MOD Demo:Emotisounds Message demo
Demo Username - emo_demo
Demo Password - emo_test

MOD Synopsis
Emotisounds provides the same functionality to a message as Emoticons, except when the mouse hovers over the text or graphic a sound clip will play.
In addition to the message functionality Emotisounds can be used to play a sound when the user moves the mouse over any link, text or image of your choosing - including playing of a sound clip on page load.

MOD Features
Below are some of the things you can do with Emotisounds.
Sounds are contained in a flash movie so it should work with just about any browser that supports flash and has the flash player installed (which is most).
  • Allow users to click on a image or text to insert some code that will play a sound when someone mouse's over it.
    Play Emotisound on page load
    Create static links to any existing text or graphic on a page (so it plays when someone mouse's over it).
    Automatically play a sound on the private message popup.
Caveat
This is a flash solution as it allows almost all the different browsers to work, plus all the sound clips are contained within a flash file that the user can cache (this way no matter how many times the sound is called or where you call it on your site, it only needed to be downloaded once).
Ask if you want to know more about this.

Demo
I have a demo site I put up to show how the Emotisounds work (to the users), click on the below to view a bogus message I made in the test forum (make sure your speakers are on).

Once you have seen the Emotisounds in the message, click the reply button and you will see all the Emotisound on the reply page (they are right under the Emoticons), you can see how the feature works by using the preview here (you don't have to login for this forum).
There are currently around 50 sound clips you can choose from.

Hover your mouse over the top header image to hear a example of setting a standard link to play a sound.
Last edited by Analog2112 on Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:28 am, edited 14 times in total.

london_bug

Post by london_bug » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:09 am

lol great mod mate

The sounds take up very little room on the reply page and will add this to my forum as soon as its released :)

Ramon Fincken

Post by Ramon Fincken » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:46 am

what are you waiting for !
Dutch quality fully managed WordPress hosting - ManagedWPHosting.nl

Before changing a file, some code or installing a MOD >> Make a backup first!

Do you like my mods? paypal me $1 :) forumsoftware[AT}creativepulses[DOT}nl [/size]
PhpBBantispam.com || Instant find your mod here

Analog2112

Post by Analog2112 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:44 pm

Great! Glad to see you guys think it's worth doing.
I'm going to start working on the admin UI so the text can be changed or substituted for an image and so you can add new/remove sounds on the forums (the flash must reflect the forums however).

I also need to speak and get permission from the phpbb folks as I duplicated much of their work with the Emoticons as the functionality of this is so similar (maybe if a moderator sees this message they can point me in the right direction??).

After that it’s the docs and then I should have something to post.

Mephistox

Post by Mephistox » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:21 am

haha. This looks like a very fun mod.

:P

n00bstorm

Post by n00bstorm » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:03 am

this is funny lol

Smokeydogg

Post by Smokeydogg » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:41 am

cant wait till this is released

ibnuasad

Post by ibnuasad » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:13 am

Nice one..cant wait for this mod to be released :D

Analog2112

Post by Analog2112 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:38 am

Wow, if interest continues to grow I might even make up some different sound packs that can be downloaded for people that don't have flash or just don't feel like making their own.

The admin UI is pretty much done, here is a screenie of what it looks like

The green arrow on the left plays the current Emotisound and an image filename can be used in the "Trigger Value" box if you want an image to appear instead of the text.

First beta should be available within a week (although I'm still need phpbb's OK on re-use of some of their smilie code).

Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:49 am

haha, that is something freshing. I'll would give it a try as soon as you post a download! :)

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:37 pm

Here, here!!

DeViAnThans3

Post by DeViAnThans3 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:47 pm

This MOD is absolutely fascinating :D
Especially the idea is great!
I'm sure this will have very much interest! :wink:

I'm looking forward to the release :)
I only provide support via the appropriate topics! Please no PM or mails! :)
My MODs :: [BETA] Facebook Connect

sputum

Post by sputum » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:08 pm

Yes this is fun...

RELEASE IT!

Analog2112

Post by Analog2112 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:58 pm

I have the first beta pretty much ready to go - I'm going to do a test install on a fresh phpbb install today and if all goes well, I should have a download this afternoon or tonight for you guys..

I did a couple of minor changes to the admin part, now you can make the Emotisound hidden (they won't appear to the users, but if you know the code they will still work).
And there is a code link for each emotisound to give you a reference to using it in other parts of your site.

The sounds for the mod package are limited to common things people wouldn't take offense to or be something that would be better part of a sound pack.
The flash source will be included in the MOD, Soon there were will a tutorial up to take you through step by step on adding and removing your own sounds (so you can put in whatever you want) as well as sound packs that we will make available.

DeViAnThans3

Post by DeViAnThans3 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:01 pm

That's quick :D
Thanks for keeping us UTD (Up-to-date) :wink:
I only provide support via the appropriate topics! Please no PM or mails! :)
My MODs :: [BETA] Facebook Connect

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”