[BETA] Unique Registration Hash

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:08 am

briand wrote: Is it possible to have this mod run along side with ConfusaBOT?

No sorry, you can just have one or the other. Thanks for asking though. ;)
Support Resources: Support Request Template
If you need professional assistance with your board, please contact me for my reasonable rates.

imzers

Post by imzers » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:54 am

Hi all, I have installed this mod. Unfortunatly I think 'they' can pass it or I did something wrong. Either way I hope I can help by placing this information here.

The bot can be found here:

Code: Select all

http://www.imzers.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2445
I removed it's linking to spam site.

And a copy of my usercp_register.php can be found here: http://pastebin.ca/173511

Other then this mod it is a clean installation.

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:21 pm

It quite possibly could have been a real person that registered, which means that they would of course have been able to pass. :-) Afterall, the goal is to allow humans to register, otherwise a board is fairly pointless.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

imzers

Post by imzers » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:13 pm

Thanks for your answer, the thought of them being human actually crossed my mind... I'm not sure, there is another four now, and they all fill out their 'occupation' and 'interests'... Bot behaviour? Is there any easy way to verify the mod is working? For now I don't see any decrease in spam(bot) registrations! Any other board owners with average/large websites that tried this?

slayer1011

Post by slayer1011 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:03 pm

AWESOME MOD!!!! glad i found it, its been stopping bots so far, i went from approx 10 / day for a week straight, down to 0 :D

i can deal with the odd human bot registering..

thanks for the mod..

da_badtz_one

Post by da_badtz_one » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:36 am

I believe this can also been implemented with the posting page which will prevent spam bots from posting in forums where anonymous posting is allowed. :) Just a suggestion though.

Thanks for the mod pentapenguin, it's working great so far with my site.

pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:28 pm

da_badtz_one wrote: I believe this can also been implemented with the posting page which will prevent spam bots from posting in forums where anonymous posting is allowed. :) Just a suggestion though.

Hey nice idea! :) Let me look into it. I'll try to get a new version up soon which has a new feature to make it even harder for spam bots to register. ;)
If you need professional assistance with your board, please contact me for my reasonable rates.

Dj Trinity

Post by Dj Trinity » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:49 am

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ',' in /home/trance/public_html/forum/includes/usercp_register.php on line 54

i get this error?

pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:37 am

Double check your edits in includes/usercp_register.php ;) Or post lines 50-60 if you need help.

vag-forum

Post by vag-forum » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:40 am

Very great idea :wink:

I will install it.
Last edited by vag-forum on Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dj Trinity

Post by Dj Trinity » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:43 am

i got it going...i have it running with the humanizer......i have gotten 1 bot in a day vs 6-10 normally

so i would say success so far!

ecwpa

Post by ecwpa » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:07 pm

using MD5 is just brilliant!

nice and simple mod, works perfectly

i think this mod and that other mod, cant remember but its ban or rejects registrations when trying to add signature or url (humans arent alowed to see it at registration) would be good for 2.0.22

pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:09 am

Thanks for the feedback guys! :)

ecwpa - that would be the Easy BotStopper MOD.

bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:29 pm

This is a great mod. I recently added it as another security layer. This combined with Jelly-Doughnuts "FreeCap Visual Confirmation" Captcha mod, EXreaction's "Anti-spam ACP" mod, and Merlin Sythove's "Troll mod" and we have pretty much not had a single live/auto spam registration in nearly a week. Now if there were only a Guest Captcha mod for freecap captcha. They've reverted to spamming via guest posting(which for now due to circumstances beyond our control we have to allow on a few forums).
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:33 pm

FWIW...

I had been meaning to develop this one on my own, and did so last night. I combined the ideas of a unique hash with an ACP option to change the name of "agreed" which - from reading the description - is what the "ConfusaBot" MOD does. So my MOD allows me to change the name of the "agreed" variable, and also allows me to specify the length of the hash (from 2 to 32). I didn't look at the code for ConfusaBOT so I don't know exactly how it works; I did briefly look at the code for this MOD but rewrote it to suit my needs rather than basing my MOD off of this.

I got this written and implemented on one of my sites last night.

This morning when I checked, there was already a new spam registration on the site. :evil:

So the bottom line is that while this is a great idea for making your site unique, and therefore less suceptable to "reg bots", there is still the problem of human spammers registering.

I don't know how to make that harder without discouraging the humans that we want to join. :?

I don't mean to hijack this topic into a general anti-spam strategy topic :-) but thought I would share my experience with the results so far. For whatever reason, this particular board that I run is a spam magnet, and therefore is a good test case for this sort of thing.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”