[BETA] Prune Inactive Users

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
kkroo

[BETA] Prune Inactive Users

Post by kkroo »

MOD Title: Prune Inactive Users

MOD Description: Adds a page in the ACP that fetches users that are not activated or have no posts and haven't visited the forum in 7 days. Those users are outputted into a list and lets you check and uncheck which users to delete.

MOD Version
: 0.5.0

MOD Download: http://phpbb-login.sourceforge.net/foru ... file_id=19

Screenshots [0.5.0]
:
http://phpbb-login.strangled.net/forum/ ... sers_1.jpg
http://phpbb-login.strangled.net/forum/ ... sers_2.jpg
http://phpbb-login.strangled.net/forum/ ... sers_3.jpg
Last edited by kkroo on Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:08 am, edited 7 times in total.
My MODs

Need a coder?

Enjoy my Mods? - Image
igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

Post by igorw »

Very cool!

It's like "Inactive Users" from phpbbhacks.com, but it has proper support, updated version and follows phpBB coding standards.

Plus it's simpler :)
Igor Wiedler | area51 | GitHub | trashbin | Formerly known as evil less than three
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

If you want to get more ambitious, I would be happy to turn over the code from this MOD and see if you want to finish it. I don't have the time right now. Please send me a PM and let me know what you think. 8)
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias »

Can we choose how long before it starts prunning? Or is it only set to 7 days?
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|
kkroo

Post by kkroo »

EY, this mod isnt automatic, the 7 day is for fetching users. if the user has 0 posts and hasnt visited the forum in 7 days he/she will be included in the inactive user list. but making the mod automatic is a good idea for a future version.
My MODs

Need a coder?

Enjoy my Mods? - Image
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

kkroo wrote: but making the mod automatic is a good idea for a future version.

This just my opinion... making anything delete in an automatic fashion is a risky move. If you add this sort of feature, I would suggest that you make sure that it's configurable, like the pruning choices for forums.
Elias

Post by Elias »

kkroo wrote: EY, this mod isnt automatic, the 7 day is for fetching users. if the user has 0 posts and hasnt visited the forum in 7 days he/she will be included in the inactive user list. but making the mod automatic is a good idea for a future version.

Okay thanks.

drathbun wrote: This just my opinion... making anything delete in an automatic fashion is a risky move.

Why is it a risky move?
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

EY wrote: Why is it a risky move?

Because unless you have a regular backup strategy, deleting is a permanent operation. If you find later that you deleted users in appropriately because of a configuration (or worse, a coding) choice, there is no way to recover the data.

I started a MOD a while back that had the same intent, and I have spoken with kkroo about providing some of my code for this new effort, as it seems I will never be able to dedicate the time to getting mine done. The approach that I took was to run a script and populate users into a temporary table, then review them prior to deleting. Sort of a two-step approach, in a way, but it ensures that you get to actually look at each user that you delete.

Just me being paranoid. :-) kkroo may or may not decide to continue in the same way.
kkroo

Post by kkroo »

I dont plan on adding automatic pruning straight away im not even sure about adding it yet. But what you are saying is right, it is risky. Well anyways what I gotta say is I updated the mod description to something that explains the mod a bit more.
My MODs

Need a coder?

Enjoy my Mods? - Image
Marvi

Post by Marvi »

Can somebody make it possible to prune unanswered posts? 8)
Elias

Post by Elias »

drathbun wrote: Because unless you have a regular backup strategy, deleting is a permanent operation. If you find later that you deleted users in appropriately because of a configuration (or worse, a coding) choice, there is no way to recover the data.

Aight. Thanks for that.
kkroo

Post by kkroo »

Marvi wrote: Can somebody make it possible to prune unanswered posts? 8)

This mod isnt for pruning forums; it is for pruning inactive users. what you are requesting is anonther mod.
My MODs

Need a coder?

Enjoy my Mods? - Image
Marvi

Post by Marvi »

I used your mod and its useless, sorry I´m telling this truth and thats why I asked about pruning unanswered. Just because thats up to you toi make a mod to be useful and my idea is about to make a mod about prune unanswered topic, because there is no sucha mod our yet.
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Marvi wrote: I used your mod and its useless

That's your opinion.
my idea is about to make a mod about prune unanswered topic, because there is no sucha mod our yet.

Then post in MOD Requests, don't try to hijack someone else's development topic. Thanks.
kkroo

Post by kkroo »

Again, that feature has nothing at all to do with pruning users. This mod was actually made for a problem I had, I have too many inactive users, and it was getting annoying. So I made the mod. I thought that other people might have thier database filled with inactive users so i decided to share it. If you dont have inactive users on your forum, then this mod isnt for you.
My MODs

Need a coder?

Enjoy my Mods? - Image

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”