[MOD-DB] EZ Registration

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
drathbun
Former Team Member

[MOD-DB] EZ Registration

Post by drathbun »

MOD Title: EZ Registration
MOD Description: Don't overwhelm visitors with a long registration form, get just the bare essentials
MOD Version: 1.0.1 (Release Candidate)

MOD Download: See release topic
Last Stable version: 1.0.1

This MOD shortens the registration form so that all you have to fill out during your registration process is your username, email address, password, and confirmed password. It also shows the visual confirmation code if enabled via the ACP.

Once a user is registered they are able to edit their full profile as normal. It doesn't get much easier than this MOD with only one file to edit, two finds, and two added lines.

Below is an add-on for this MOD that provides a simple anti-spam check for robotic registrations. See the end of the post for a zip download that includes both install files.

MOD Title: EZ Registration Add-on
MOD Description: After installing EZ Registration you can check for fields that should not be filled in and reject them
MOD Version: 1.0.0 (Release Candidate)

MOD Download: See release topic
Last Stable version: 1.0.0

This MOD is an add-on to EZ Registration. You must install the first MOD in order for this one to make sense. When you install EZ Registration you present the user with only four fields to fill out (five if you enable visual confirmation). As a result, if any additional fields are provided, it must be a registration "bot" attempting to spam your site. Any registrations with a web site value are therefore denied.

There are more complex MODs out there with more robust anti-spam techniques. This one is very simple. You edit usercp_register.php to check for the web site. You will add one line to the language file. That's it.

Special Note: Your template must support visual confirmation in order to install EZ Registration. One of the "find" tokens is the switch for visual confirmation, if your template does not include that text you will need to contact your template author in order to get it fixed.
Last edited by drathbun on Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

(Reserved Post)

kber

Post by kber »

I LOVE THIS MOD , IT ,S A NICE AND EASY ONE
TEST IT WELL IN MY BOARD :)

Zarkow

Post by Zarkow »

Haven't tried this mod, but I have (as mentioned in other threads) done pretty much the same thing on some forums as this mod and it's also something I think the devs should look into in having as a defualt in Olympus. Will atleast instantly kill off any spam-registrations with fake emails where they only want links in memberlists.

Great that someone took the time to put the ideas into a public [pre-made] mod. Unfortuanly when modding a live board in several ways it's hard to backtrack what has been done and therefor...impossible for me to put together a mod[-guide] to do the same as of now. =)

KE5EHI

Post by KE5EHI »

Great MOD! One quick question, as I'm still new to PHPBB... I've already removed the fields I don't want input (either in registration or profile edit), but I'd like to add the anti-spam feature of yours. Am I correct in assuming if I want to change from checking to see if a website is entered to one of the other default fields (ie AIM, YIM, etc...) I just need to make the following change to the 'Add-On' mod:

Original

Code: Select all

!empty($HTTP_POST_VARS['website'])
Replace with

!empty($HTTP_POST_VARS['FIELD'])
Where 'FIELD' is one of the other input areas such as location, YIM, etc...?

Also, how would you make it check multiple fields, such as AIM, YIM, and occupation to see if any of them had data sent but they aren't on the registration page?

Thanks!

deejaybet

Post by deejaybet »

this mod looks interesting :)

samureye

Post by samureye »

Screenshots, please?

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

KE5EHI wrote: Original

!empty($HTTP_POST_VARS['website'])
Replace with

!empty($HTTP_POST_VARS['FIELD'])
Where 'FIELD' is one of the other input areas such as location, YIM, etc...?

Yes, that would work if you wanted to do each one individually but...
Also, how would you make it check multiple fields, such as AIM, YIM, and occupation to see if any of them had data sent but they aren't on the registration page?

... you could "brute force" your way through by checking each and every one of them, but the code would be ugly. You could also concatenate all of them together and check the result, that way if any single field had a value then the registration is denied. Assume that fields are called a - e and they're "post" variables it could look like:

!empty($HTTP_POST_VARS['a'] . $HTTP_POST_VARS['b'] . $HTTP_POST_VARS['c'] . $HTTP_POST_VARS['d'] . $HTTP_POST_VARS['e'])
The "dot" . operator does a concatenation, so the result of a . b . c . d . e is checked for emptiness. If any of a - e had a value, I assume then that the entire result would be empty. But you might want to test it. :-)

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

samureye wrote: Screenshots, please?

Use your imagination. :-) All it does it chop off the registration form right after the confirm password field, or after the visual confirmation if you have that enabled. That's it. Take a look at any registration page and pretend that none of the lower fields are present and you'll get the idea.

I don't see a need for a screen shot.

KE5EHI

Post by KE5EHI »

drathbun wrote: Yes, that would work if you wanted to do each one individually but...

... you could "brute force" your way through by checking each and every one of them, but the code would be ugly. You could also concatenate all of them together and check the result, that way if any single field had a value then the registration is denied. Assume that fields are called a - e and they're "post" variables it could look like:

!empty($HTTP_POST_VARS['a'] . $HTTP_POST_VARS['b'] . $HTTP_POST_VARS['c'] . $HTTP_POST_VARS['d'] . $HTTP_POST_VARS['e'])
The "dot" . operator does a concatenation, so the result of a . b . c . d . e is checked for emptiness. If any of a - e had a value, I assume then that the entire result would be empty. But you might want to test it. :-)

That's what I was wondering. Thank you!

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

This MOD is simple enough that I am going to go ahead and submit it to the MOD-DB. I don't think we need much testing for this one. :-)

igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

Post by igorw »

Good luck on getting this one validated! :)
Igor Wiedler | area51 | GitHub | trashbin | Formerly known as evil less than three

samureye

Post by samureye »

drathbun wrote:
samureye wrote:Screenshots, please?

Use your imagination. :-) All it does it chop off the registration form right after the confirm password field, or after the visual confirmation if you have that enabled. That's it. Take a look at any registration page and pretend that none of the lower fields are present and you'll get the idea.

I don't see a need for a screen shot.

:D I like to worry :lol:

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Worry... :-P

Go here, don't register, just click the register link and look at the page layout:

http://www.phpbbdoctor.com

That's what the registration form looks like. Other than the invitation code, which is custom code not related to the EZ Registration feature.

samureye

Post by samureye »

Ah, I love it. And I take it all the other information, users can go to profile afterwards and edit? And the invitation thing, say I am testing my board and want only a few people to get in, is this what you used? And can I just disable it without uninstalling it when i am ready for any and everyone to join?
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=378134

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”