[MODDB] Approval MOD v2.0

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Gregminimum

Notify moderator of ANY post?

Post by Gregminimum »

Can this MOD be used to notify the moderator of a post, if the post does not require approval? If not, do you know how this can be done?
uncle.f

Re: Notify moderator of ANY post?

Post by uncle.f »

Gregminimum wrote: Can this MOD be used to notify the moderator of a post, if the post does not require approval? If not, do you know how this can be done?

In principle, it can be implemented. However, what's the practical use?
Gregminimum

Post by Gregminimum »

For when there is not a lot of activity, and the Moderator wants to be notified by email when there is a posting, so the Moderator doesn't have to keep checking the board.
uncle.f

Post by uncle.f »

Gregminimum wrote: For when there is not a lot of activity, and the Moderator wants to be notified by email when there is a posting, so the Moderator doesn't have to keep checking the board.

So, basically, you want post notification for ALL posts?

I am not sure if it makes sense to implement that for this MOD, as a much easier MOD can be made simply for this purpose. Maybe it already exists...

Plus, you can enable topic watching (without any MODs installed) and will get notifications, except for the new topics.
Gregminimum

Post by Gregminimum »

Yes, Post Notification for all posts, to the Moderator of that forum.

There have been other requests for this in the support forum - I have looked and I don't think the functionality exists.

As you say, Topic watching doesn't work for new topics.

Is it possible to include it in this MOD?
uncle.f

Post by uncle.f »

Gregminimum wrote: Yes, Post Notification for all posts, to the Moderator of that forum. Is it possible to include it in this MOD?

It is possible. BUT...

Because of its nature, this MOD is very intrusive when it comes to viewforum/viewtopic pages behaviour. What it means is that most likely it will not be compatible with other MODs that change the forum/topic viewing behaviour (and there are quite a few of them out there - forum hierarchy, announcements on the front page, split announcements, etc.). This, in turn, means that if somebody wants to install this MOD simply to get the notification functionality for all posts, they will potentially lose ability to install other MODs.

Does it really make sense to implement it in *this* MOD? I don't think so.
Dave Bean

Post by Dave Bean »

Seems like every board with an issue with spam and an interest in protecting users from it will want this mod.

I know that it may be hard to install, but definitely worth considering. Also, a bundled install with the current phpBB might be worth paying for. phpBB should definitely have this mod standard. The skill to install this mod may be beyond some of us.

I currently have notify_on_all_new_posts (new and reply) mod installed while waiting for this mod. I suppose that it would be nice to have an option for notify_on_all_new_posts and only notify if needs approval options. Use would depend on the nature of the board - sometimes we are trying to protect against spam and sometimes making sure we are responsive to legitimate posts.

Any idea how this mod will interact with the extreme styles mod ? (I only care about being able to run php within templates)

Thank you, thank you, thank you for working on this mod. Where is the donate button?
Building Internet Communities
www.ColoradoHealth.info
uncle.f

Post by uncle.f »

Dave Bean wrote: I know that it may be hard to install, but definitely worth considering. Also, a bundled install with the current phpBB might be worth paying for.

Well, it is not *that* hard to install, actually :-) I would say the Attachment MOD is three times more complicated to install by hand. The "installation simplicity" is mainly the reason why I haven't published it yet. I am currently reviewing this MOD (for the 2nd time, btw) for having minimal number of injection points and minimal number of IN-LINE edits. I know that there will be people installing this by hand (opposed to EasyMOD, which does it in seconds) and it is very easy to make a mistake this way. So I am holding it off for maybe another week or two to make it as foolproof as possible.

So, hopefully, it is not hard to install after all. What is going to be hard is to make sure it is compatible with other MODs that modify viewforum, viewtopic and posting behaviour.
I suppose that it would be nice to have an option for notify_on_all_new_posts and only notify if needs approval options. Use would depend on the nature of the board - sometimes we are trying to protect against spam and sometimes making sure we are responsive to legitimate posts.

Okay, you have convinced me :-) I am going to implement this feature.
phpBB should definitely have this mod standard.

It does (with the new phpBB3). Nothing to do with me or my MOD by the way but it is confirmed that approval functionality is built in (known as moderator queue). I haven't yet checked how it looks or behaves. I figure, it will be a while before phpBB3 becomes as widespread as the current version so I think my MOD is still worth publishing.
I currently have notify_on_all_new_posts (new and reply) mod installed while waiting for this mod.

Could you provide a link to it for Gregminimum who was asking for it?
Any idea how this mod will interact with the extreme styles mod ? (I only care about being able to run php within templates)

At the moment I am not testing it with any other MOD except the Attachment MOD. After I publish the first beta and gather the initial feedback we can have a look at the Extreme Styles MOD compatibility.
Thank you, thank you, thank you for working on this mod. Where is the donate button?

Well, it is free :-) The only catch is that I cannot be pushed with the release dates!
Dave Bean

Post by Dave Bean »

Here is the link to the mod discussed above to notify on all posts (I had the name wrong) and it was easy to add:
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=201228

I recently changed from the mod to notify only on new topics created to the one above to notify on all posts. Some spammers figured out to start replying rather than creating new topics.

I'll probably keep this notify on all posts after the Approval Group mod is available, not for spammers, but to help with responsive replies.
www.ColoradoHealth.info
Gregminimum

Post by Gregminimum »

Dave, Thanks for the link to the approve_on_all_posts MOD. I tried posting my question on that topic, and no reply. So, to you:

Does the MOD notify:
any user or
only the moderator of the forum that got posted to or
all moderators?

Can the MOD notify of new posts from any one forum chosen, or does it just do all forums?
DigiMusicDoc

Post by DigiMusicDoc »

Per your response in another thread, I'm adding my request for an "approve first post" option. The idea is that if the member's first post is not spam, then he is probably OK and you don't need to approve any more posts. Thanks.
Dave Bean

Post by Dave Bean »

Does the MOD notify:
any user or only the moderator of the forum that got posted to or all moderators?
The standard mod only notifies the board administrator. However, I modified the mod to also send notice of new posts to a few other people with some hard coding:

$message_link = 'http://' . $domain . $folder . "viewtopic.php?p=" . $post_id;
// *** davehack ***
//$to = $board_config['board_email'];
$from = $board_config['board_email'];
$to = $from . ', helper1@domain.com, helper2@domain.com';

We are just treading water with the above while waiting for the Approval Group Mod, which should keep the problem posts away from the public to start with rather than sweep them out as soom as possible with the notify mod.

I think I'm to the point of closing my boards until the Approval Group mod is ready. Seems like I saw a way someplace to allow browsing, but not posting. I've having to clear out a half dozen spammers a day and some are extremely inappropriate for the boards.
www.ColoradoHealth.info
figueroa4

Post by figueroa4 »

Looking forward to this too!
Dave Bean

Post by Dave Bean »

As we discussed, all boards with spam issues should seriously consider the Group Approval Mod when available. However, there are also some other standard mods that unfortunately should also be considered.

(1) Many that spam do not post, so they show up in the membership list and newestmember links. Modify memberlist.php (2 places) to only list members with posts and created a separate admin memberlist (need to modify some of the links) to list everyone for admins. Also, newestmember link (in functions) can be modified to not list anyone without posts. What is the easiest way to delete members with 0 posts without throughing the totals off. (admin toolkit fron Starfoxtj seemed to work fairly well and I deleted a hundred 0 posters at a time where they joined over a month ago - and just deleted the script when I was done)

(2) Once the Approval Group mod is in place, I guess we can just keep whacking the offending posts without the public seeing them, but we still might wish to slow them down with one of the "Are you human" questions or hash code passing. Any favorites?

... whacked over 10 spam posts today across several boards. I am running the current version with email verification on and also visual confirmation.
www.ColoradoHealth.info
bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer »

I use the FreeCap Visual Confirmation mod -->> http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=344831

I also use the Registration Hash mod -->> http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=430710

This has reduce the amount of spam registration drastically.
William Jacoby - Community Team
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”