Page 3 of 19

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:05 am
by johnpitcairn
DigiMusicDoc wrote: Per your response in another thread, I'm adding my request for an "approve first post" option. The idea is that if the member's first post is not spam, then he is probably OK and you don't need to approve any more posts. Thanks.


Seconded. I have a low-traffic board that is becoming a magnet for spammers. If possible I'd prefer a threshold on that number - "approve first X posts".

John Pitcairn

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:39 am
by uncle.f
johnpitcairn wrote: If possible I'd prefer a threshold on that number - "approve first X posts".


Heh, guys your are keeping me busy :-)

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:24 pm
by Dave Bean
Approve "first x posts" would be fine, but approve until trusted flag is flipped, is also fine. I'm sure that we'll dream up ways to make things better.

In the mean time, I've shut down new registrations to my highest volume board and am considering shutting down another. Actually, I didn't do it on purpose, I was installing the FreeCap Visual Confirmation mod and broke the displayed image. Not having spammers register was such a relief, I've just left it broken and added a message that registration shut down because of spammers. .. its been wonderful !!

.... waiting patiently (well maybe not) for the Approval Groups mod. I'm not sure how anyone can run without it.

Compatibility

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:39 am
by Gregminimum
I have Anti-Bot Question Mod installed, which modifies Registration procedure by asking a randomly chosen, user defined question. It added several files, changed a few files, added 3 tables and changed no existing tables. Do you believe Approval Groups MOD will be compatible?

Re: Compatibility

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:03 am
by uncle.f
Gregminimum wrote: I have Anti-Bot Question Mod installed, which modifies Registration procedure by asking a randomly chosen, user defined question. It added several files, changed a few files, added 3 tables and changed no existing tables. Do you believe Approval Groups MOD will be compatible?


The Approval Groups MOD does not touch anything registration related, so I guess it should be compatible. If not from the start then later on for sure :-)

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:03 am
by Dave Bean
Rather than shut registrations down completely while waiting for the Approval Groups Mod, I installed the Registration Stopper Mod. Now I'm turning registrations off at night with a notice that they can contact me at my phone number to get on the board or arrange a time that they can register. In the morning I turn the registrations back on and monitor with the notify_on_all_posts mod.

Hopefully, we won't need the above as much once the Approval Groups mod is available. For now, at least the boards are operating somewhat rather than being completely shut down because of spam.

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:33 pm
by Dave Bean
A hopeful that this will be a great mod. Is there anything that anyone else can do to help?

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:14 pm
by uncle.f
Dave Bean wrote: A hopeful that this will be a great mod. Is there anything that anyone else can do to help?


be patient? :roll:

i have life.. or at least trying to have it :wink: there are many other things, especially now, at pre-Christmas time.
I can promise you that it will be done and with all the feature requests asked for implemented. But no promises when. I will not release something half-assed or partially broken, even as a beta.

While most of the code is done, the hardest part is to actually make a MOD out of it, so that it can be easily installed and is compatible with other mods as much as possible.

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:41 pm
by MarieMM
Is it an idea to allow posts from certain IPs to be displayed immediately, without approval, while posts from all other IPs have to be approved?

For my own forum (and I'm sure lots of others as well) this would be very helpful, as 99,9% of my members post from one country. (A country which is not producing very much spam...)

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:59 pm
by uncle.f
MarieMM wrote: Is it an idea to allow posts from certain IPs to be displayed immediately, without approval, while posts from all other IPs have to be approved?


This is outside the scope and the "philosophy" of this MOD. The idea behind Approval Groups MOD is that the choice whether the post does or does not need approval ultimately depends on the group membership of the user and not on any other user property (IP, ICQ number, number of posts, etc.)

For now this will not be implemented.

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:28 am
by DigiMusicDoc
uncle.f wrote: This is outside the scope and the "philosophy" of this MOD. The idea behind Approval Groups MOD is that the choice whether the post does or does not need approval ultimately depends on the group membership of the user and not on any other user property (IP, ICQ number, number of posts, etc.)

For now this will not be implemented.


So does that mean, contrary to what you said earlier, that approval based on the number of posts is not going to be implemented with this mod?

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:53 am
by uncle.f
DigiMusicDoc wrote: So does that mean, contrary to what you said earlier, that approval based on the number of posts is not going to be implemented with this mod?


Do not confuse the total number of posts made by a user and the number of posts in a topic. The total number of posts made by a single user is user's own property and will not be used by this mod. The number of posts in the topic is a property of a topic, has nothing to do with a particular user and will be used (if needed/enabled) to decide whether a new post needs to be approved or not.

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:37 pm
by DigiMusicDoc
uncle.f wrote: Do not confuse the total number of posts made by a user and the number of posts in a topic. The total number of posts made by a single user is user's own property and will not be used by this mod. The number of posts in the topic is a property of a topic, has nothing to do with a particular user and will be used (if needed/enabled) to decide whether a new post needs to be approved or not.


In that case I don't see that this mod is going to be overly useful in combatting spam. It will weed out spammers who initiate a new thread and make one post. However, it will not help catch people who make spam posts as replies to existing threads. I already have a lot of those.

This mod would also annoy established members who, based on their post count, have earned a certain amount of trust. They should be allowed to initiate threads without approval.

I'm frankly not sure what the value of a feature to approve the first x number of posts in a thread is at all.

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:43 pm
by uncle.f
DigiMusicDoc wrote: In that case I don't see that this mod is going to be overly useful in combatting spam. It will weed out spammers who initiate a new thread and make one post. However, it will not help catch people who make spam posts as replies to existing threads. I already have a lot of those.


This mod (as well as the original Approval MOD) was never designed to "combat spam". You will not see this anywhere in mod description. If it helps you to combat spam that is great! But if it does not, well... sorry. I designed the Approval MOD for my company's Intranet and decided to share it with the rest of the community and that's all there is to it.
This mod would also annoy established members who, based on their post count, have earned a certain amount of trust. They should be allowed to initiate threads without approval.


Firstly, I am not entirely convinced that quantity = quality & trust. I have my personal experience with that and can tell you that it could be very easily the other way around. Secondly, and this is going to sound strange at first, it is exactly the absence of "post count" feature that makes this mod more flexible. Why? Because the decision on whether the post requires approval or not depends ONLY on the group membership and nothing else, but you can play with groups. Who said that you cannot have another MOD (which, by the way, will be extremely easy to implement, that adds a user to a certain group after he/she made x posts)? You can add users to groups based on ANY criteria (posts number, posts quality, IP address, number of times he/she used a swear word etc.). So from this point of view this mod is a foundation for moderation based on virtually any parameter, as long as it comes down to group membership in the end. I hope I make myself clear.

In another words, you are trying to make this mod very specific (i.e. fighting spam). I am trying to make it generic to be used for more than just that. Perhaps when the initial version is out and working we could have a discussion on another branch of this mod that could become "Spam Fight MOD" or something like that.
I'm frankly not sure what the value of a feature to approve the first x number of posts in a thread is at all.


I have re-read the thread above and agree with you. I misunderstood johnpitcairn who asked for the "first X posts" to be approved. I thought he was referring to the number of posts in the topic. Now I see that he actually meant user's post count. Therefore it only makes sense to implement it for 1 post (establishing a new topic).

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:26 am
by angelp1ay
Screenshots looking good. Will keep this bookmarked!