[BETA] WP-United: WordPress Integration (v0.9.5 04/06/2007)

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Jhong

v0.8.9.0 released!

Post by Jhong »

This release marks the most major update yet to the WP-United codebase. The full list of features and significant bugfixes is as follows:

* NEW: Templates automatically re-jigged to suit per-user blogs
* NEW: A fancy list showing details of each users' blogs can be automatically installed as a homepage
* NEW: "View Site" link in wp-admin points to the user's blog when users can have own blogs
* NEW: Flexible access point to integrated WordPress -- rename blog.php and put it anywhere, with no fuss
* NEW: if non-integrated WordPress is accessed, it redirects to the integrated entry point
* NEW: Built-in method provided to put latest WordPress posts on an external page. Example add-on included for Smartor's ezPortal.
* NEW: Tags provided so you can put avatars in your WordPress templates: wpu_get_avatar_commenter, wpu_avatar_poster & wpu_avatar_user (for details on how to do this, see here).
* NEW: WordPress posts (including excerpts & titles) can be optionally passed through the phpBB word censor
* NEW: Option provided to align phpBB & WordPress character encoding (i.e. ISOxxx vs UTF-8 ), to ensure the blog displays properly on an integrated page

* Author details now checked and updated when they are changed in phpBB, not every time blog.php is visited
* WP-United Connection still installs when case differences exist in pathnames on Windows servers (should make it easier for Windows people to install)
* Check added to prevent path detection from working when an external URL is provided
* User blog homepages now use the home template (previously was Author Archive)
* Prev/Next posts links only lead to posts by the same author when users can have own blogs
* Link in template header automatically re-pointed to the right place on individual users' blogs
* Version numbering moved to database to allow for automatic version checking/updates

* FIXED All RSS feeds now really work and produce compliant XML on an integrated page.
* FIXED: WordPress database error on new post when certain options are set
* FIXED: Fatal error in footer of Wizard Step 5
* FIXED: path/uri tests in Setup Wizard fail without warning when cURL is unavailable (thanks Paul999!)

To download, please use the link on the first page.

An upgrade mod file is provided for users of v0.8.8.x

Happy modding!
phpBB<->WordPress Integration: www.wp-united.com
RGSPro

Make the forums look like the blog?

Post by RGSPro »

I am having a heck of a time getting the theme of the forums to fit with the wordpress install. When I try to pull out the <div> sections of the header and footer from wordpress and put them into the phpbb overall header and footer it wont display anything on the forums except some random text.

Maybe I am going about it all wrong.

Can you explain how to wrap the forums with the wordpress header and footer? That would be most excellent.

http://www.gaming-zone.net/blog.php
http://www.gaming-zone.net/index.php for the forums

Thanks in advance.
brokenantimatter

Post by brokenantimatter »

This by default wraps wordpress inside the forum header and footer.

If you would like to wrap the forums in the h&f [also the name of one my favorite beer and wiener stands] of wordpress I suggest the h&f of the desired theme; simply be recreated outside of wordpress and include in the forum index or phpbb theme index, rather than go through the trouble of developing a practical method of calling wordpress header's and footers.
CPU: Dual AMD Opteron Dual-Core 175
GPU: XFX GeForce 6600 256mb
RAM: 2GB DDR400-Overclocked
HDD: Dual 160gb, XP-64/Kubuntu
WEB: Jappleng
RGSPro

Post by RGSPro »

After doing some hacking, I was able to create a mockup of what I wanted it to look like. It may not be the same header, but its good enough for me.
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

Hi -- your site looks good.

Brokenantimatter is right -- but I'm adding a "reverse template interation" feature that will allow embedding of phpBB inside WordPress. It should be available fairly soon.
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

Another day, another update!

v0.8.9.1 is a minor release with fixes for a few bugs that have already been squashed in v0.8.9.0 .. It's an easy upgrade - mod files are included in the download for both a full install and upgrades from v0.8.9.0 and v0.8.8.x.

The fixes are:

* FIXED: Message sometimes doesn't display properly after profile updates
* FIXED: Blog name doesn't always show up in admin panel
* FIXED: Blogs home page list can show an unexpected number of blogs
* FIXED: Login / register links pointed to the wrong place when the page template was not integrated
* FIXED: Per-user templates/styles don't show up properly in single post view or when using Permalinks on PHP ver < 5

That should be the worst bugs for now. There are two outstanding minor issues:

* The blogs home page sometimes doesn't show the first time it is visited immediately after registration
* Step 5 of the Setup Wizard can stall if "Use blog home page" is selected (however, the Wizard completes set-up/install normally). To work around this, leave this option off, then visit your blog logged in a phpBB administrator other than ther user 'admin'. Then re-run the Setup Wizard and select the option again.

I recommend that all users upgrade. To download the file, please visit the first post in this thread.
RGSPro

Post by RGSPro »

Awesome!

It might just be a mockup of what my wordpress header and footer is, but I think it looks pretty sweet (I altered it a bit more). Great mod, too.

I appreciate your work, and look forward to future updates.
wumingsden

Post by wumingsden »

When I run through the wizard, I get the following error:

Installing WP-United Connection...

The WP-United Connection is the bridge between WordPress and phpBB. It controls how WordPress behaves when it is integrated.

The Setup Wizard will now try to install the WP-United connection...

Error! The WP-United Connection could not be installed. This is probably due to one of the following being set incorrectly: (a) invalid path to WordPress, (b) invalid script path set for phpBB in board config. Please correct these and try again.

The phpBB script path is correct.

I use the following options:

Base WordPress URL: http://mezmorizing.net/forum/blog/
Test URL -> Success! A page was found at that location

Filesystem Path to WordPress: /domains/mezmorizing.net/public_html/forum/blog/
Detect Path -> ERROR: A WordPress install cannot be found at that location. You may continue, but the integration may not work. Please check that you have installed WordPress, or type the path manually.

The address you will use to access WordPress from now on: http://mezmorizing.net/index.php
[And yes, I have renamed and moved the blog.php file and edited the forum path]

Shared Database? Yes
Let phpBB automatically handle WordPress Logins? Yes
PhpBB <-> WordPress Permissions Mapping? Default Settings
Show phpBB Header & Footer? Yes
Use Different Document Type Declaration? Yes
Character Encoding? Change phpBB's
Use phpBB Word Censor? Yes

Give users their own blogs? Yes
Blog buttons in profiles? Yes
Blog buttons under posts? Yes
Users can choose theme? Yes

URL to Forum: www.mezmorizing.net/forum
URL to Blog: www.mezmorizing.net/forum/blog
Wordpress Version: 2.1
phpBB Version: 2.0.22 - Heavily Modded

Although the forum is heavily modded i don't think this is the cause of the problem. A phpinfo file is located here

***note***

When I do not use the wizard, and just try and edit the settings, I get this error after hitting the submit button:
WARNING: A working WordPress install could not be found (Searching for: /domains/mezmorizing.net/public_html/forum/blog/wp-settings.php). Either the path has been typed or auto-detected incorrectly, or WordPress has not been installed. Please check the provided file path and try again.
ERROR: The WP-United Connection could not be installed. Please check that the path provided or auto-detected is corrrect, and that WordPress is installed and working.

I have checked, and the path "/domains/mezmorizing.net/public_html/forum/blog/wp-settings.php" is correct (but of course, not via my browser.

I don't know what could be the problem, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

@wumingden:

Could you try the full path, i.e.

/home/wumingsd/domains/mezmorizing.net/public_html/forum/blog/

Incidentally, in the Wizard, if you leave the textbox blank, this should be detected for you.. does it get it right?
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

Just an update for those waiting for a "reverse" template integration: It is on its way.

Hopefully within a week or two this feature should be available to the public.
Yautja_cetanu

Post by Yautja_cetanu »

hehe nice, I love how quick you seem to work :D!
Elvion

Post by Elvion »

I've done all the steps of instalation correctly, setup wizard on the "WP-United" page in ACP make me no errors.

Code: Select all

The Setup Wizard will now try to install the WP-United connection...

Success! The WP-United Connection has been installed.
My WP version is 2.0.9 and it works good :) But if i try to press [url=http://]WordPress Blog[/url] link i got

The path is incorrect. Please check the path to phpBB you provided and then run the WP-United Setup Wizard again.
phpbb2/blog.php - link to blog.php and

''   // <--- set the path to your phpBB root here,  between the quotes	
Any ideas?
Last edited by Elvion on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pennywise83

Post by Pennywise83 »

Jhong wrote: Just an update for those waiting for a "reverse" template integration

Hopefully within a week or two this feature should be available to the public.

Wow, I really appreciate this feature!
One question: it will be possible to insert specific phpbb functions within wp-header? i.e. the login form, the private messages and the avatar?
wumingsden

Post by wumingsden »

Jhong wrote: @wumingden:

Could you try the full path, i.e.

/home/wumingsd/domains/mezmorizing.net/public_html/forum/blog/

Incidentally, in the Wizard, if you leave the textbox blank, this should be detected for you.. does it get it right?

Ahh, thank you, that path works. One problem though. Instead of going to step 5, a white page appears instead. I'm re-checking all of the MOD edit's, haven't fount anything as of yet. Any ideas why this is?

*note - the white screen appears on the wizard and "settings" page. The problem with it is the alterations I make are not being made to the db, hence the blog screen saying i need to install it via the ACP.
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

@Elvion:

Where is your blog.php file located, relative to your phpBB root?

@wumingsden: It's a known bug. It's a problem with installing th eblog front page. I'd turn off the option to create th efront page, then run through the wizard. Then visit the blogs, logged in as an administrator other than 'admin'. Delete any pages that have been added.

Then go back to the Setup Wizard (again, logged in as an administrator other than 'admin', and run the wizard again with the homepage option turned on.

I'll fix this next release.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”