[BETA] WP-United: WordPress Integration (v0.9.5 04/06/2007)

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Jhong

Re: [BETA] WP-United: WordPress Integration (v0.9.5 04/06/2007)

Post by Jhong »

phpBB<->WordPress Integration: www.wp-united.com
Da^MsT

Post by Da^MsT »

This sounds great! I'm working on a fairly big project and this would make my work a lot easier. Can't wait for the phpbb 3.x version :)
jasonago

Post by jasonago »

hello sir I have tried WP-United in wordpress and phpbb and it worked great...I was surprised that the single-blog-only wordpress was converted to multi-blog facility with so much ease...

But I was compelled to use Wordpress MU for multi-user multi-blogging because I'm planning a big site for our college...So the problem now is how will I integrate Wpress MU and phpbb...

Out of curiosity I installed WP-United with wpress MU and phpbb...It worked but has some bugs to consider...actually not bugs because wp-united is not made for wpress MU...I think it is really lucky and impressive that it worked even in MU...

Now I have programmed myself another mod which integrates the user login of wordpress MU and phpbb. Although I didn't use any of wp-united's codebase, I'm still thankful to your ideas which serves as my springboard in creating an integration for MU...especially creating the plugins for wpress...I am used to phpbb's codebase system (because I am the Friend's Mod lead programmer) but not to wordpress...so your mod serves as my teacher...

I am asking for your permission if I can name my mod as WP-MUnited...haha a cousin of your mod...The only thing that my mod does is to integrate user logins and that's it...because wpress MU already does the multi-blogging part...

Thanks and more power to wp-united! Looking forward for the olympus port of your mod!
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

Hello --

Nice one..

I like the idea of the name, but I'd probably rather you name it something a bit different, if only so we don't have to field each others' support requests :-)
jasonago

Post by jasonago »

Hello, yup that's why I asked your permission because I know this can cause ambiguity in the future...Yep I'll think of something else for a name...

Thanks again!!!

:P
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

:-)

Let me know when you have the code up....

phpBB3 is my priority right now, but once that is sorted, and user blogs are refined, it'd be cool to roll in some of your work so that it can deal with wpMu as well.

Out of interest, does wpMu still use Apache rewriting of subdomains to create the blogs?

Login integration is fine, but I can foresee that the template integration with unknown subdomains will cause a bit of fun with base hrefs pointing to the wrong place.
jasonago

Post by jasonago »

Jhong wrote::-)
Out of interest, does wpMu still use Apache rewriting of subdomains to create the blogs?

Login integration is fine, but I can foresee that the template integration with unknown subdomains will cause a bit of fun with base hrefs pointing to the wrong place.
Wordpress MU is still and will forever use mod_rewrite...actually this is the life of wordpress MU...

Yup Yup Yup, you have exactly pointed out what the main problem with this...How will I redirect users of different blogs to phpbb's login.php AND redirect them back where they came from...The problem lies to the fact that there are two ways to put the login link in the wordpress: One, by using the loginout link; the Second, by explicitly writing in the templates the "wp-login.php" redirects...

The second method is the problem...many themes use this method in putting the login/logout link...

I have tried to redirect all the accesses to wp-login.php to phpbb's login system...BUT my problem is they are not redirected back correctly to the specific page where they came from...This is because the REQUEST_URI is always pointing to wp-login.php...

If I didn't solve this right, I might think of other ways to get this thing going...

Oh, by the way I borrowed your technique of redirecting users to other pages for convenience...its fairly clever, simple, but working! I intend to redirect users to phpbb's profile page when they access the wordpress Profile page...

Right now I'm working on how to properly redirect the User edit of SITE Admin in wordpress MU to phpbb's user admin in Admin page...phpBB's strict and dual authentication for admins makes this a one step problematic..

You know what, there were only 3 wordpress integrate that I have saw since time immemorial: First the wphpbb, second is the class integrate in an unfamiliar website which seems to be not working, third is your mod the wp-united and I admit that your mod is the most successful and relatively bug free...

I intend to enter my mod as an alternative especially to the wordpress MU people...

Hey, I have a new name for my MOD...Wordpress MUdification...hahaha!
jasonago

Post by jasonago »

OH another thing, If you are planning to include a wpmu support in wp-united, I think it will be very simple for you to include it even right now!

My work only based it to the fact that users are logged in wordpress MU by using cookies ALONE...No database logs, session monitors other than cookie manipulations...The only big problem is how will you synchronize the users from phpbb and wordpress, AND how to redirect all users of different blogs to the same login page and be redirected to where they came from...

I have seen wp-united's codebase and I admit that you have great knowledge with classes...I have a relatively fewer background about classes and so I can't fully understand how you synchronize the users very well...anyways, I did my own coding quite simpler but I doubt it would be less flexible compared to class/object programming...

anyways, I'll be releasing my code soon...hehe!
Prince_Cedric

Post by Prince_Cedric »

Am reposting this query I earlier posted at the WP-United Forums:

I finally got WP-United work on my site, Tinig.com, except for this problem:

On the space where the text of the first comment should be, this error appears:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function wp_make_clickable() in /home/.rema/ederic/tinig.com/forums/wp-united/wp-functions.php on line 99

Here's how it looks like:

http://www.tinig.com/solving-overpopulation/
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

Prince_Cedric wrote:Am reposting this query I earlier posted at the WP-United Forums:

I finally got WP-United work on my site, Tinig.com, except for this problem:

On the space where the text of the first comment should be, this error appears:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function wp_make_clickable() in /home/.rema/ederic/tinig.com/forums/wp-united/wp-functions.php on line 99

Here's how it looks like:

http://www.tinig.com/solving-overpopulation/

Hello,

Sorry for not posting there a much as I hope to -- I've been travelling a fair bit, and in what spare time I have, I've been determined to move forward the phpBB3 version (with a view to rolling any changes back into the phpBB2 version afterwards).

the error may be a consequence of the subdomain. Is that blogs page being access through blog.php (renamed to something else)?

BTW, very nice-looking site :-)
Prince_Cedric

Post by Prince_Cedric »

Jhong wrote: BTW, very nice-looking site :-)
Thanks, Jhong. :)
Jhong wrote: the error may be a consequence of the subdomain. Is that blogs page being access through blog.php (renamed to something else)?
Yes, I used blogs.php--moved it to the root folder and renamed it to index.php. I'm using WP-United v0.9.5 and WP 2.2.1.

Where should I start looking? :)
Prince_Cedric

Post by Prince_Cedric »

Was able to get it working by reinstalling an older version of WP. It's almost perfect now: www.tinig.com :)
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

Very strange. It SHOULD be working with v2.2.1.

Here's what should be happening:

Before calling WordPress, WP-United opens wp-includes/formatting.php (or functions-formatting.php if you're using an older version of WP). It searches for the function make_clickable, and renames it to wp_make_clickable, before invoking WordPress. You can confirm this by looking in the core cache file in your wp-united/cache folder -- you should see the contents of formatting.php in there (along with a lot of other stuff), and should see that the name has been changed.

The only way I can see this breaking down is perhaps if you did an upgrade from WP2.0 to 2.1+, and left the old WP2.0 files behind. Then, it could be making changes to the wrong file. If you're running WP2.1+, ensure you've deleted the old files such as functions-formatting.php.

If this is not the case, then let me know. TBH, I'm surprised it didn't fall down a bit harder if that is what is happening.

On my side, I'll prevent the code from acting depending upon what files are available, and get it to behave according to which version of WordPress it is instead, and release it int he next version to prevent the same thing from happenning to others.

J
chriscundy

Post by chriscundy »

Forums Blank - Whats happened?

Hello,

After installing WP-United (latest) for phpBB2 (latest) my forums page is blank:

http://www.universalmacs.com/forums

blog = http://www.universalmacs.com/

I cant seem to understand what is going on, I have been checking through many of the files now and nothing seems to be happening...

Please help as this is driving me bonkers!!!

Thanks in Advance
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

Hello,

Most likely, you did not apply the code in the correct place in one of the code edits.

To see the actual problem, please can you turn on error reporting in PHP, then the error will show up.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”