[BETA] WP-United: WordPress Integration (v0.9.5 04/06/2007)

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

Thanks -- I'm not sure if this would be judged "clean" yet... but it works. At least now, at this stage, no phpBB variables are permanently overwritten.
enderandrew

Post by enderandrew »

I'm looking for a method to post articles as seperate pages in addition to having the forums. Wordpress would allow to me have articles as posts, and list all recent articles in a blog-type fashion.

However, the intent is not necessarily to provide a blog for all users of the forum.

Is there a way this particular mod would allow me to do this, or would there be a better mod for what I have in mind?
Nihilism makes me smile.
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

Yes - this is what I have done here, and was the impetus for creating this mod.

Just set "integrate logins" to "No" in the admin control panel.

If you wanted only registered phpBB users to be able to comment on articles, you could turn integrated login on, and set the default new user role in WordPress to only allow comment posting.
enderandrew

Post by enderandrew »

Great! I'll give this a try!
Nihilism makes me smile.
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

The joys of Beta testing...

I've just updated the package to v0.8.5.1.... in 8.5.0, once a new user was created, the "admin" and "login" links didn't work properly unless the page was accessed again (or refreshed). This is now fixed.

The only file to change is wp-func/wp-integrated-login.php

Expect more updates in the next few days as I tick those things of the "TO DO" list.
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

And again.. a few more bugs reported. and v0.8.5.5 released.

I've spent a few hours today improving the login integration...
  • FIXED: The mod file was a bit screwed up. Now works again in EM 0.3.
    ADDED: when users log out of phpBB, they are logged out of WP. When users change username in phpBB, their username is automatically updated in WP
    TODO: This needs to look out for previously-created WP usernames.
    ADDRESSED: blank and/or suplicate users showing up in WP sers table
phomzz

Post by phomzz »

How to Integration MOD with Wordpressmu

,Thank you
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

Very difficult I would imagine - as WordPressMU seems to use Apache reditrection or something to dvide users.

If you want a blog for each phpBB user, why not just modify a WordPress template with a main menu that, instead of categorising by subject, categorises by user. When I have such a template, I may include it as a contrib.

J
cybermonsters

Post by cybermonsters »

Integration with WPMU would be incredible. Very excited about your mod.
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

A new release is imminent.

A bug in the current version means that user name changes don't work properly. The log-out also may not work with some database servers.

This is all addressed in the next release. phpBB user levels (user/mod/admin), can now also be mapped to WordPress levels.

The update should be ready on or around Christmas day....

The final changes before release of RC1 will be an EasyMod-style interface to make the changes to the WordPress files for you.

So stay tuned...

There've been around 60 downloads so far... I know ther are a few bugs, but I would be interested in feedback from anyone who has tried it!

In terms of wpMU.. again, I don't think that will be an easy task to iuntegrate. However, if you are happy with all users' blogs having the same template/style (which is, I imagine, what most people with an existing phpBB site would want), then wpMU is probably not what you need.

John
Jhong

New release! WP Integration Mod v 0.8.5.8!

Post by Jhong »

Here we are... Major changes all round. In addition to major bug-fixes we have....

New in v.0.8.8: The integration now (optionally) managers user integration - you log into phpBB, you're automatically logged into wordpress. This feature can be turned on or off, either as a whole, or for particular user levels (i.e. user/mod/admin).

WordPress roles can now be mapped to phpBB user levels. For example, you could allow all your users to be authors, all your mods to be editors, and all your admins to be administrators. Alternatively, you could allow only Admins to be authors, and set all other users to be subscribers, so they can post comments. The choice is yours!

Also new in this version is automatic DTD switching. The majority of WordPress templates are XHTML 1 Transitional, while phpBB is by default HTML 4 Transitional. The integration package now will automatically switch your document type declaration (DTD) to xhtml for the blog page, if you so desire! Now 99% of WordPress templates can just be directly installed without any changes required whatsoever!

Comments/feedback gladly welcomed.
Deadfire

Post by Deadfire »

I seem to have this issue with this mod

It seems to want to put two headers on the same page, one being the forums the other being the wordpress's. I'm not sure if this is what was intended or not. however how would one go about removing the forum header from that page as it's not really needed.

Thanks,

~DF

EDIT: I may want to explain what I wish better I wish for only the user integration done, however not the template integration done. If possible
Last edited by Deadfire on Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

Last edited by Jhong on Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

Hello --

Yes, that was intended. However, in the next version, it will be optional.

The idea was that the WordPress theme header.php could be modified if needed -- I expected most people would want to keep their phpBB header, which includes things like login/logout, PM notification, etc. But it looks like you've already got a tailored WordPress install.

An interim version should be ready around the weekend sometime.

John
Deadfire

Post by Deadfire »

Jhong wrote: An interim version should be ready around the weekend sometime.

John

Thanks for the quick reply John. I was trying to figure it out in my head but if you are going to be releasing a version, so that I don't have to figure it out soon then I will put my head to other uses. :P

I'll test your version when it comes out, Thanks much

~DF

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”