[BETA] WP-United: WordPress Integration (v0.9.5 04/06/2007)

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
icyj

Post by icyj »

This plugin was just what I was looking for. Everything works perfect after install as far as logging in and users go, but now when visiting the wordpress blog, the footer and header from phpBB2 is used on top of the wordpress footer and header.
icyj

Post by icyj »

Well, I posted without reading the previous posts, ooops. I will be eagerly awaiting the update. Thanks for the hard work.
JustJamesAus

Multi-User via WordPress MU?

Post by JustJamesAus »

Looks like an excellent mod and it's something I'm looking for right now.

Can this mod be used with WordPress MU (multiuser) so that each user could start their own blog? That would rock, I'm not sure if that's what you're saying it does or not, sounds to me like you just mean that all phpbb users get user status of a single wordpress install...?

EDIT: oops, missed page 2 of this thread. Sounds like wpmu isn't supported, but it would be awesome if it was... :wink:
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

I haven't tried to integrate wpMu, however, I plan to take this integration in a direction such that it is as useful, if not more so.

The current roadmap is as folows:

In next release v0.7.0 Beta: (expected release - in a few days)
- Majorly refactored code
- Now, no changes are required to your WordPress install!
- Improved administration interface, including a wizard and tools to automatically detect the WordPress settings
- The ability to turn off the phpBB header & footer
- bugfix: phpBB does not check if that user exists in WordPress when a new user registers (not a problem for the majority of integrations).

Release vNext+1: v0.8.0 branch (expected release - end Jan)
- If you set the package to integrate logins, you can choose to:
* show 'Blog' buttons in users' profile
* show 'Blog' button under posts of users with blogs
* allow users to select the look and feel of their own blog by choosing a template for their blog pages
* 1 or 2 example templates **
* Direct access to non-integrated WordPress install can be disabled

Expected features for vNext+2 - final release before submission to MODDB, planned for mid-Feb.
- New template tags to show avatars on blog pages or in comments
- Install wizard can set all settings, including on the WP side, for you
-version detector and upgrader to provide an upgrade path for future releases
- Users can (optionally) set the header image of their blog -- (tentative, may be included in v1+ branch.)
- code security audit and final refactoring in advance of submission to MODDB
-More templates **

** Note: nearly all templates Just Work right now 'out of the box'. These will just be example templates to show how you could create a multi-user blog!

Of course, this is subject to change... but it gives a general idea of the direction and features I'm adding.

J
Last edited by Jhong on Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

icyj wrote: This plugin was just what I was looking for. Everything works perfect after install as far as logging in and users go, but now when visiting the wordpress blog, the footer and header from phpBB2 is used on top of the wordpress footer and header.

About the header -- again, this was originally actually the main purpose of the package: to get WP inside that header and footer. (like this).. and if you snip off some of the WordPress template header, then you can do cool things, like having the phpBB register/login/PM icons appear inside your blog header, very easily. This is a very easy feature to disable, however -- it's working here, no problem, but major changes to the code in other places is holding up the release.
icyj

Post by icyj »

What lines would you recommend taking out of the wp header and footer files? For my site, setting it up the way you are recommending might be a better route.
brokenantimatter

Post by brokenantimatter »

I have done a lot playing around with this and I can say I am very satisfied with what you have accomplished and I had a question to ask but as I was writing this I was able to piece the coding together in my head.

I look for forward to future releases.
CPU: Dual AMD Opteron Dual-Core 175
GPU: XFX GeForce 6600 256mb
RAM: 2GB DDR400-Overclocked
HDD: Dual 160gb, XP-64/Kubuntu
WEB: Jappleng
JustJamesAus

Post by JustJamesAus »

Jhong wrote: I haven't tried to integrate wpMu, however, I plan to take this integration such that it is as useful, if not more so.

Jhong, can't thank you enough for the work you're putting in on this, it's going to be a really great mod, awesomely useful.

But I don't really understand what you're saying above - the way you've written it in the roadmap it sounds like each phpbb user will have their own blog - and this is accomplished with a standard wordpress install (without wordpress mu) ??
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

JustJamesAus wrote: Jhong, can't thank you enough for the work you're putting in on this, it's going to be a really great mod, awesomely useful.

But I don't really understand what you're saying above - the way you've written it in the roadmap it sounds like each phpbb user will have their own blog - and this is accomplished with a standard wordpress install (without wordpress mu) ??

Thanks!

Yes - by just adjusting the templates.

Think of it like this: The main blog page is using your default template that you set in WP options. There's an introduction, a link for users to set up their own blogs.

Then below that you have "Users blogs", - a list of links to your users blogs (+ maybe "featured blogs", "popular blogs",... that kind of thing, whatever floatsa your boat).

The links just go to the author archive for each author who has posts. Then the integration package detects if this is an author archive, or a single post by one author, and switches to their chosen template (and imagery). It's _that_ simple. Bits of pre-alpha code work - so it's proven possible... will just take me a while to package and release.

I didn't want to allow users to customise CSS, or template files, due to the security issues. In the future I could add some way for users to have their own categories, but this will be after the 1.0 release.
Last edited by Jhong on Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

icyj wrote: What lines would you recommend taking out of the wp header and footer files? For my site, setting it up the way you are recommending might be a better route.

I just did this on aother site I'm about to release... Sorry I can't be more specific -- but the exact course you take depends on which site you want to modify the most...

I found a WordPress template I liked, and then changed/edited it until I was happy using it as a design for the entire site. Then it's just a matter of cutting the HTML code for the header DIVs from WordPress's header.php, and integrating them into phpBB's overall_header.tpl, in a way that you think looks good. (generally involves removing all the table code from overall_header.tpl).

You need to also adjust blog.tpl and overall_footer.tpl.

When that's done, and you're happy with the look, you can just copy all the styles from the phpBB header, and from the WordPress stylesheet, and put them into subSilver.css, link to that from the phpBB header, and remove the link to styles.css in the WordPress header.

Of course, you can just wait for the next version and turn off the phpBB header/footer... !
No_Mercy

Post by No_Mercy »

I get this error:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare make_clickable() (previously declared in /home/gcwrestl/public_html/wp-includes/functions-formatting.php:592) in /home/gcwrestl/public_html/GCW/includes/bbcode.php on line 718

Line 718 is: function make_clickable($text)

The part that wasn't modified in bbcode
brokenantimatter

Post by brokenantimatter »

I am not seeing that problem on your website now so I am guessing you got it fixed or you reinstalled wordpress, let us know.
CPU: Dual AMD Opteron Dual-Core 175
GPU: XFX GeForce 6600 256mb
RAM: 2GB DDR400-Overclocked
HDD: Dual 160gb, XP-64/Kubuntu
WEB: Jappleng
No_Mercy

Post by No_Mercy »

No. I pointed it to go to the default position instead of the 'blog.php' so it would be regular.

I'll hit it to how the DIY says to do so you can check it out.
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

No_Mercy wrote: I get this error:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare make_clickable() (previously declared in /home/gcwrestl/public_html/wp-includes/functions-formatting.php:592) in /home/gcwrestl/public_html/GCW/includes/bbcode.php on line 718

Line 718 is: function make_clickable($text)

The part that wasn't modified in bbcode

Hi mate -- make sure you follow the DIY Instructions in the MOD file -- two changes needed to the WordPress core files. Looks like you didn't make them.

Can I ask where you were getting this error? Changing your profile I assume?
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

EDIT -- on further thought, I guess I don't see how your phpBB make_clickable is getting defined after your WordPress one... phpBB always does its stuff first... do you have any other mods installed? Could you post your usercp_register.php?

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”