[BETA] Phoogle (Google) Map

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
gansert

Post by gansert » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:08 pm

BassFace wrote: Gansert, would you like the text box that shows the map center coords to be hidden? I guess it really doesn't have any use - it is just for display, not entry, so it doesn't need to be visible. (It does need to be on the page, but could be 'hidden'.) Anyone could still look at the page source code and see the coords, but at least it wouldn't be shown on the page that displays. :?:

Hi BassFace :D

No, I donT see any reason to hide the lat/long information. For me this is no problem at all. Even though you find that in the source code anyway..

But I would like to have the map while registering smaller than the map on phoogle_map.php.

So maybe it is possible to have the ability for 2 different maps sizes in the ACP- config page. a) for user_cp_register , b) phoogle_map.php

BassFace

Post by BassFace » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:28 pm

gansert wrote: But I would like to have the map while registering smaller than the map on phoogle_map.php.

So maybe it is possible to have the ability for 2 different maps sizes in the ACP- config page. a) for user_cp_register , b) phoogle_map.php

You can do that now - as a CSS hack to 'override' the ACP settings. For example, if you want the map in profile_add_body.tpl (which would be for the Profile page) to be smaller, edit the CSS on profile_add_body.tpl like this (not exact code, but you'll get the idea):
Change:

Code: Select all

<style>
#phoogleMap
  {
  width:{MAP_WIDTH}{WIDTH_MEASURE};
  height:{MAP_HEIGHT}{HEIGHT_MEASURE};
  }
</style>
to something like this:

Code: Select all

<style>
#phoogleMap
  {
  width:300px;
  height:200px;
  }
</style>
This should change just the map size on that page, and leave the Phoogle Map page map to use the ACP settings. I'm not at home, so I can't test this, but that should work fine.
I'll think about how to make that an included feature. :wink:

BassFace

Post by BassFace » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:34 pm

gansert wrote: But I would like to have the map while registering smaller than the map on phoogle_map.php.

OK, I figured out how to add this to the ACP - stay tuned... :wink:

Also, I thought about the user-specified zoom level idea you had. I think it would conflict with/be overridden by the global settings - for example: You set your zoom level to 10, but the admin set the Max Zoom to 14. This would be fine for the map shown when someone clicks on your name in the sidebar, and they could only zoom into level 10, but they could still zoom in to level 14 on the main (all-users) map. Does that make sense? :shock:

Soooo, I think I'll keep the zoom levels global. :D

Rodoom

Post by Rodoom » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:07 pm

BassFace, I just wanted to thank you for writing such an amazing mod.

I installed it on my phpBB Plus 1.53a mods (you can download that package from here www.phpbb2.de) and they seem to be working Ok.

I will send you a PM with my boards URL if you want to try it out.

THANKS! :D

BassFace

Post by BassFace » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:43 pm

Rodoom wrote: BassFace, I just wanted to thank you for writing such an amazing mod.

I installed it on my phpBB Plus 1.53a mods (you can download that package from here www.phpbb2.de) and they seem to be working Ok.

I will send you a PM with my boards URL if you want to try it out.

THANKS! :D

That's great news! Thank you! 8) Yeah, I'd love to see it in action. :wink:

BassFace

Post by BassFace » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:47 am

How about this? Tabbed Info windows - looks a little neater, eh? (Whaddya think, Glenn I?) :D

Glenn I

Post by Glenn I » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:55 pm

Hey that looks a lot better 8)

BassFace

Just for fun...

Post by BassFace » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:54 am

I thought I'd do a little stress test for the MOD and see how it handles large numbers of markers.
So I made up a little script to create 1000 new users all with random coords and marker icons.

Then in FireFox, I ran FireBug and you can see the results here.

phpBB stuff: 157ms and 250ms :cool:
Google Map Stuff: 23 seconds! :evil:

Glenn I

Post by Glenn I » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:04 am

Holy smoke batman! wow

I might have to uninstall this for now as I just discovered that using IE when I go to my profile or look at other's profiles via the ACP there is nothing there at all. In a previous post I made here a user said that he gets an error message saying error: object not found

Do you think that its related to a databse error? perhaps easymod forgot to add something. Can I remove the database entries and add tehm manually? I may need a walkthrough for this if you wouldn't mind.

Not sure what's going on.

BassFace

Post by BassFace » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:54 pm

Glenn I wrote: Holy smoke batman! wow

I might have to uninstall this for now as I just discovered that using IE when I go to my profile or look at other's profiles via the ACP there is nothing there at all. In a previous post I made here a user said that he gets an error message saying error: object not found

Do you think that its related to a databse error? perhaps easymod forgot to add something. Can I remove the database entries and add tehm manually? I may need a walkthrough for this if you wouldn't mind.

Not sure what's going on.

Yeah, I did a clean install of phpbb, then I installed EasyMOD to see what it was about. I had it install the MOD and it errored out all over the place with CRITICAL ERRORS. I had it install a much simpler MOD and it did that very well.

I'm looking into how I can make this MOD EasyMOD comatible, but for now, manual install is the way to go. :wink:

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:28 pm

BassFace wrote: I'm looking into how I can make this MOD EasyMOD comatible, but for now, manual install is the way to go. :wink:

If you need some assistance in making your MOD EM compatible, don't hesitate to ask. It really isn't that hard and if you want to make it so few people have problems with installing it, it is in your best interest to do so...

BassFace

Post by BassFace » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:54 am

NightriderXP wrote:
BassFace wrote:I'm looking into how I can make this MOD EasyMOD comatible, but for now, manual install is the way to go. :wink:

If you need some assistance in making your MOD EM compatible, don't hesitate to ask. It really isn't that hard and if you want to make it so few people have problems with installing it, it is in your best interest to do so...

That'd be much appreciated, thanks! I've never tried EasyMOD until now, I'll PM you. :D

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:39 am

Sounds good. Once you start using EM, you will wonder why you waited so long...

BassFace

Opt-In / Opt-Out of being shown on map

Post by BassFace » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:53 am

At the request of Glenn I, I have added a 'Show Me"/'Don't Show Me' selection to the Profile page. I had been doing this in a pretty lame way before by not retrieving/showing any member whose map point matched the Map Center set by the Admin. The thought was, if you didn't mess with the map in your Profile page, that meant you didn't want your map point set. I know - pretty pathetic now that I think about it more. :oops:

So here's what it'll look like now:

Opt In

Opt Out

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”