[BETA] Phoogle (Google) Map

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Garry
Registered User
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2002 6:52 pm
Contact:

Re: [BETA] Phoogle (Google) Map

Post by Garry » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:17 pm

I just ran across a problem with this mod - while everything seems to work fine, registering a new user results in an empty page (apart from the header). I did some testing, and found that commenting out the lines:

"PHOOGLE_SCRIPT" => $userMap->printGoogleJS(),
"PHOOGLE_MAP" => $userMap->showMap(),

resulted in the new user registration working again ... as I don't get any error in either the apache loggs, nor the HTML source, I'm kinda stumped at what might be wrong here ... anybody have an idea? Without the lines, the regular edit profile doesn't show the Google Map anymore, too ... !?

User avatar
BassFace
Registered User
Posts: 783
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:10 pm
Location: Aurora, CO

Re: [BETA] Phoogle (Google) Map

Post by BassFace » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:31 am

Garry wrote:I just ran across a problem with this mod - while everything seems to work fine, registering a new user results in an empty page (apart from the header). I did some testing, and found that commenting out the lines:

"PHOOGLE_SCRIPT" => $userMap->printGoogleJS(),
"PHOOGLE_MAP" => $userMap->showMap(),

resulted in the new user registration working again ... as I don't get any error in either the apache loggs, nor the HTML source, I'm kinda stumped at what might be wrong here ... anybody have an idea? Without the lines, the regular edit profile doesn't show the Google Map anymore, too ... !?
Those two lines do have to be there. They print out the Javascript and map code that let the page interact with the Google Maps API (basically). ;)

I'd only suggest you look very carefully at the code edits you made to includes/usercp_register.php, and watch closely for where the edits go - like before a '}' or after it, and things like that. Post a link to your map page if you need more help. :D

mtracey
Registered User
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:32 pm

Re: [BETA] Phoogle (Google) Map

Post by mtracey » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:09 pm

Hey Bassface,

Haven't checked back on here in a good while now. Doesn't seem to be anyway to add extra points to the map, say via a simple table ? This would be a really amazing mod if it was possbile to have it read and display points from a table, even if only the admin could add/delete them via SQL itself.

Any plans for anything like this ? The phpBB world is crying out for this ;)

Cheers

bergman.a
Registered User
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:48 pm

Re: [BETA] Phoogle (Google) Map

Post by bergman.a » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:58 pm

Garry wrote:I just ran across a problem with this mod - while everything seems to work fine, registering a new user results in an empty page (apart from the header). I did some testing, and found that commenting out the lines:

"PHOOGLE_SCRIPT" => $userMap->printGoogleJS(),
"PHOOGLE_MAP" => $userMap->showMap(),

resulted in the new user registration working again ... as I don't get any error in either the apache loggs, nor the HTML source, I'm kinda stumped at what might be wrong here ... anybody have an idea? Without the lines, the regular edit profile doesn't show the Google Map anymore, too ... !?
I have exactly the same problem

User avatar
BassFace
Registered User
Posts: 783
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:10 pm
Location: Aurora, CO

Re: [BETA] Phoogle (Google) Map

Post by BassFace » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:19 am

bergman.a wrote:
Garry wrote:I just ran across a problem with this mod - while everything seems to work fine, registering a new user results in an empty page (apart from the header). I did some testing, and found that commenting out the lines:

"PHOOGLE_SCRIPT" => $userMap->printGoogleJS(),
"PHOOGLE_MAP" => $userMap->showMap(),

resulted in the new user registration working again ... as I don't get any error in either the apache loggs, nor the HTML source, I'm kinda stumped at what might be wrong here ... anybody have an idea? Without the lines, the regular edit profile doesn't show the Google Map anymore, too ... !?
I have exactly the same problem
If either you or Garry could post a link (or PM me if you prefer), I'll take a look. Also, post or PM me your usercp_register.php file.

I'll also see if I can't make an events add-on, it may be about a week, but I'll look into it. :D

mbart
Registered User
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:53 am

Re: [BETA] Phoogle (Google) Map

Post by mbart » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:22 am

Very Cool mod, just what I have been looking for. I have a few quick questions about the mod. I run a forum for parents of children with Infantile Spasms, a rare seizure disorder, the forum requires registration and you can't get to any topics without a password. Because the site contains information about our kids many parents are very careful about what others can see. Here are my questions:

1. Would the map be secure like the rest of the forum, in other words if you select Phoogle from the menu will it prompt for a password if you are not logged in?

2. With about 300 members will the map become very crowed? I am sure you can work around this by zooming to your particular region if it is the case.

3. Will Phoogle work with PHPBB 3.0? I haven't updated yet but I would hate to get forum members excited about the map only to loose it with an upgrade.

Thanks,

Mike

User avatar
BassFace
Registered User
Posts: 783
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:10 pm
Location: Aurora, CO

Re: [BETA] Phoogle (Google) Map

Post by BassFace » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:16 pm

mbart wrote:Very Cool mod, just what I have been looking for. I have a few quick questions about the mod. I run a forum for parents of children with Infantile Spasms, a rare seizure disorder, the forum requires registration and you can't get to any topics without a password. Because the site contains information about our kids many parents are very careful about what others can see. Here are my questions:

1. Would the map be secure like the rest of the forum, in other words if you select Phoogle from the menu will it prompt for a password if you are not logged in?

2. With about 300 members will the map become very crowed? I am sure you can work around this by zooming to your particular region if it is the case.

3. Will Phoogle work with PHPBB 3.0? I haven't updated yet but I would hate to get forum members excited about the map only to loose it with an upgrade.

Thanks,

Mike
Answers:
1. In v1.0.5 you must be registered/logged in to see the page. phpbb has a nice little function for that, so that code was added (not in the Demo site, so the public can see it more easily).
2. In the Map admin, you can select the number of users to show at once, and pagination is used. Also, like you mentioned, initial map center and zoom level can be set in the admin, too.
3. No phpbb 2.x mods will work with 3.0 :( Any mod will need to be re-written to work with 3.0. I plan to do this in the future, time permitting.

Thanks for the interest in my mod, and I hope if you decide to use it, it helps bring your community together.
:D

BassFace

Shaitian
Registered User
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:34 am

Re: [BETA] Phoogle (Google) Map

Post by Shaitian » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:34 pm

Great mod, Set it up today and my members are having fun with it

Only think I have noticed and it prob has been answer before but the top up windows on the map are white background with white text. Is there a simple way to change this

thanks

User avatar
BassFace
Registered User
Posts: 783
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:10 pm
Location: Aurora, CO

Re: [BETA] Phoogle (Google) Map

Post by BassFace » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:17 am

Shaitian wrote:Great mod, Set it up today and my members are having fun with it

Only think I have noticed and it prob has been answer before but the top up windows on the map are white background with white text. Is there a simple way to change this

thanks
What I would try first is:
Open phoogle_map.php with a text editor with a 'Find and Replace' function.

Find all instances of

Code: Select all

class='phoogleComment'
and replace with

Code: Select all

class='post'
I did this on one of my sites with a dark theme and it worked (turned the text black).

Asbestos
Registered User
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:40 pm
Location: GA
Contact:

Re: [BETA] Phoogle (Google) Map

Post by Asbestos » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:08 am

Bass,

Great mod and great work!

Shaitian
Registered User
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:34 am

Re: [BETA] Phoogle (Google) Map

Post by Shaitian » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:26 am

BassFace wrote:
Shaitian wrote:Great mod, Set it up today and my members are having fun with it

Only think I have noticed and it prob has been answer before but the top up windows on the map are white background with white text. Is there a simple way to change this

thanks
What I would try first is:
Open phoogle_map.php with a text editor with a 'Find and Replace' function.

Find all instances of

Code: Select all

class='phoogleComment'
and replace with

Code: Select all

class='post'
I did this on one of my sites with a dark theme and it worked (turned the text black).
Thanks but this did not change the text from white to black. Under the area where you state you build the 2nd tab there was no class fucntions

User avatar
Sammy Sandbag
Registered User
Posts: 184
Joined: Fri May 23, 2003 2:07 am
Location: Savannah, GA
Contact:

Re: [BETA] Phoogle (Google) Map

Post by Sammy Sandbag » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:47 am

Bass Face,

It's been awhile since I've checked on your mod. Any work on a phpbb 3 version? I only ask, because as soon as it goes gold I'll probably upgrade all my forums to 3 and would love to have this mod.

Keep up the good work!
-Sammy

antisa33
Registered User
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:07 pm

Re: [BETA] Phoogle (Google) Map

Post by antisa33 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:03 am

Hello
I have in my database the phpbb_users table with postal code field and country field.
Somebody can help to allow the geolocalication on the phoogle map ?
Because now my users are not correctly positionnated :|
Thanks a lot

User avatar
BassFace
Registered User
Posts: 783
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:10 pm
Location: Aurora, CO

Re: [BETA] Phoogle (Google) Map

Post by BassFace » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:17 pm

antisa33 wrote:Hello
I have in my database the phpbb_users table with postal code field and country field.
Somebody can help to allow the geolocalication on the phoogle map ?
Because now my users are not correctly positionnated :|
Thanks a lot
Sorry, this MOD doesn't have a Geocoding feature to translate postal codes/addresses into Latitude/Longitude. It did many versions ago, but it was very unreliable. :(

User avatar
Raubzwerg
Registered User
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:24 am
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Re: [BETA] Phoogle (Google) Map

Post by Raubzwerg » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:30 am

Garry wrote:I just ran across a problem with this mod - while everything seems to work fine, registering a new user results in an empty page (apart from the header). I did some testing, and found that commenting out the lines:

"PHOOGLE_SCRIPT" => $userMap->printGoogleJS(),
"PHOOGLE_MAP" => $userMap->showMap(),

resulted in the new user registration working again ... as I don't get any error in either the apache loggs, nor the HTML source, I'm kinda stumped at what might be wrong here ... anybody have an idea? Without the lines, the regular edit profile doesn't show the Google Map anymore, too ... !?
Hi!

Is there any solution for this problem? I tried this mod on my phpBB2 Plus Board, but I also have exactly the same problem. It looks fine, when You are logged in - but new registrations are impossible.


Christian

Post Reply

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”