[BETA] Phoogle (Google) Map

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Sammy Sandbag

Re: [BETA] Phoogle (Google) Map

Post by Sammy Sandbag » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Hey Bassface,

I was thinking a cool feature would be reserved map markers for specific users (admin, founder, moderators, etc.) Anyway that could be integrated?
-Sammy

BassFace

Post by BassFace » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:30 pm

Sammy Sandbag wrote: Hey Bassface,

I was thinking a cool feature would be reserved map markers for specific users (admin, founder, moderators, etc.) Anyway that could be integrated?

I think so - I could add a user_level check, and if user is a moderator, show 2 or 3 more marker images, if user is admin, show 2 or 3 more. I'll see about putting that in. 8)
How would you visually like to see them be different from the normal markers - bigger or a diff color?

Sammy Sandbag

Post by Sammy Sandbag » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:29 pm

BassFace wrote: I think so - I could add a user_level check, and if user is a moderator, show 2 or 3 more marker images, if user is admin, show 2 or 3 more. I'll see about putting that in. 8)

That would be pretty cool, perhaps a method for identifying them with the user profile options.
How would you visually like to see them be different from the normal markers - bigger or a diff color?

Well I figured I'd customize all the markers to my board's style, but I really haven't that much about it. Just diffrent colors or symbols. (could just leave that part to the end user.) Then below the map there could be a mini-legend showing what the specific markers mean.
-Sammy

BassFace

Post by BassFace » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:39 pm

Sammy Sandbag wrote:
BassFace wrote: I think so - I could add a user_level check, and if user is a moderator, show 2 or 3 more marker images, if user is admin, show 2 or 3 more. I'll see about putting that in. 8)

That would be pretty cool, perhaps a method for identifying them with the user profile options.

Well I figured I'd customize all the markers to my board's style, but I really haven't that much about it. Just diffrent colors or symbols. (could just leave that part to the end user.) Then below the map there could be a mini-legend showing what the specific markers mean.

I think the easiest thing would be to overlay a 'A' or 'M' or different colored stars or something (using php) on top of their map marker for Admins and Moderators. That way you could change the overlay image for your board style and I wouldn't have to mess with the Map Marker section at all. :D Does that seem suitable? Or would you like say 5 more map markers just for Admins and Moderators to have access to?

Sammy Sandbag

Post by Sammy Sandbag » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:52 pm

BassFace wrote: I think the easiest thing would be to overlay a 'A' or 'M' or different colored stars or something (using php) on top of their map marker for Admins and Moderators. That way you could change the overlay image for your board style and I wouldn't have to mess with the Map Marker section at all. :D Does that seem suitable? Or would you like say 5 more map markers just for Admins and Moderators to have access to?

Hmmmm, that's an idea. I didn't realize you'd be able to do overlays. For my own personal board I had planned on all registered users having identical markers, with just different ones for mods, admins, founders. I suppose that could easily be done with overlays. I would just have it set so members have no choice of markers in their profile options. A user check function would assign a different marker (or overlay in this case) if the user meets the requirements (mod, admin, etc.)
-Sammy

BassFace

Post by BassFace » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:30 pm

Sammy Sandbag wrote:
BassFace wrote:For my own personal board I had planned on all registered users having identical markers, with just different ones for mods, admins, founders.
What's a founder? That's not a 'stock' user level... 8O Is that a Special Rank you've created?

BassFace

Post by BassFace » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:51 pm

Sammy Sandbag wrote: For my own personal board I had planned on all registered users having identical markers, with just different ones for mods, admins, founders. I suppose that could easily be done with overlays. I would just have it set so members have no choice of markers in their profile options. A user check function would assign a different marker (or overlay in this case) if the user meets the requirements (mod, admin, etc.)

How about this:
There are two new icons added to the marker folder: admin.png and moderator.png. Then the map script checks user_level for admin or moderator status. If the user is an Admin or Moderator, their icon is forced to that new image. Also added a legend to reflect what those different icons mean. The normal users would not have access to those images.

Sammy Sandbag

Post by Sammy Sandbag » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:52 pm

BassFace wrote: What's a founder? That's not a 'stock' user level... 8O Is that a Special Rank you've created?

Woops, guess so. I think it came with the Category Hierarchy mod, but that's a good point. Perhaps it be good idea to provide some method for adding extra special users for things like the CH mod or Super Moderators, or like what they have here at phpBB with the "MOD Team" , "Styles Team" , "Website Team" etc.. That way the phoogle map could be used similar to how phpbb's map (http://www.phpbb.com/about/map/.)

That also give me another idea; could the usernames in the list to the right of your map be color-coded like the are in the "Users Online" box? Then they could be color-coordinated to the markers?
-Sammy

Sammy Sandbag

Post by Sammy Sandbag » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:54 pm

BassFace wrote: How about this:
There are two new icons added to the marker folder: admin.png and moderator.png. Then the map script checks user_level for admin or moderator status.

I'd say that's excellent, but would be uber-excellent if you could make it ACP optional for the additional special users as mentioned in my previous post.

Keep up the good work BassFace, this is looking good.
-Sammy

cherryworld4u

Post by cherryworld4u » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:25 pm

Hye

I hav a prob here in phoogle map
It was Jus 25 days passed that i hav installed this mod. this one is really amazing and it is working fine till i hav installed arcade mod. now zooming bar gone frm the map and users will not appear as before

plz help me

Thnx

BassFace

Post by BassFace » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:18 pm

cherryworld4u wrote: Hye

I hav a prob here in phoogle map
It was Jus 25 days passed that i hav installed this mod. this one is really amazing and it is working fine till i hav installed arcade mod. now zooming bar gone frm the map and users will not appear as before

plz help me

Thnx

Looks like the javascript is broken. There are a number of reasons this could happen. Did this arcade mod add any forms to the Phoogle page or all pages?
Here are a few fixes since v0.0.4 that may help.

Open includes/phpbb_phoogle_v0.0.4.php.
Find the line

Code: Select all

window.onunload=\"GUnload()\";
and replace it with this

window.onunload=\"GUnload();\";
Then find

GEvent.addListener(map, \"moveend\", function()
        {
        var center = map.getCenter();
				document.forms[0].map_center.value = center.toString();
				var zoomLevel = map.getZoom();
				document.forms[0].init_zoom.value = zoomLevel.toString();
        }
        ); // end of addListener inner function \n
and replace it with this

GEvent.addListener(map, \"moveend\", function()
        { 
        var center = map.getCenter();
        var zoomLevel = map.getZoom();

// loop through however many forms are in the document until we find one with 'map_center' field
  	    for (var i=0; i<document.forms.length; i++)
        {
        // check if required field is there
        if (document.forms[i].map_center)
        {
            document.forms[i].map_center.value = center.toString();
            document.forms[i].init_zoom.value = zoomLevel.toString();
            break;
        }
    }
}); // end of addListener inner function \n
Try these changes and see if it fixes it. If not, please double-check the installation of your arcade MOD. Post back here and let us know how it goes. :D

cherryworld4u

Post by cherryworld4u » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:51 pm

hye basface

It seems to be useless but thanx for ur suggestion. the prob remains the same

i also want to tell you that i hav also installed importal mod after arcade mod.

but when i installed arcade mod the prob starts frm that moment.

so, plz help me

BassFace

Post by BassFace » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:06 pm

cherryworld4u wrote: hye basface

It seems to be useless but thanx for ur suggestion. the prob remains the same

hmmm, the changes don't seem to be showing in the page source code. Did you change it back?

cherryworld4u

Post by cherryworld4u » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:15 pm

nope

both script will have same effect.

so i didnt change

is there any other way to solve it out

BassFace

Post by BassFace » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:28 pm

cherryworld4u wrote: nope

both script will have same effect.

so i didnt change

is there any other way to solve it out

The error I'm seeing in the Javascript error console is

document.forms[0].map_center has no properties
Which means the Phoogle map form (which is pretty much just the 'map_center' field) is not in forms[0].

I'd recommend you make the changes, since you have a number of different forms on the page (ie Search, User Block are all separate forms). phpbb does not explicitly give it's forms names therefore I have to reference the 'map_center' field by javascript form array number (the [0]).

I have no way of knowing which form will be 'hardcoded' as form[0], especially with numerous forms on a page, so the 2nd change mentioned above will fix that - no matter how many forms are on the page.

Make the changes, and view the frame source to be certain they took affect. Then, unfortunately, if it (Phoogle Map) was working before the arcade MOD and not working afterwards, you'd need to look extra closely at the install of the arcade mod to see what it may have added. Look at changes made to page_header.php and any other page that effects all pages.

Hope you find a solution. :)

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”