[BETA] Phoogle (Google) Map

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
ewelin

Post by ewelin »

BassFace wrote: Well, the ACP portion is just the User Admin page, with the phoogle fields in there.
I want to build a ACP for this, but that'll have to wait for a later release (or an add-on). v0.0.3 has alot of new stuff compared to v0.0.2, so that took my time over the ACP work.

As far as the smiley and shadow images - yes, you just edit the phoogle_map.php file and tell it what images you want to use, and put those images in the main phpbb /images folder.
HINT Google suggests the shadow image be skewed 45 degrees up and left. :wink: (But do what looks best to you.)

The bubble username/link is a great idea - I'll get that working ASAP! 8)
BassFace
Excelent... I'll definitly be keeping an eye on this MOD and once it's a little more stable I'll give it a test run on one of my sites.
bum63

Post by bum63 »

Hey BassFace
my map looked the same way as gansert's when I first installed it but after I changed size code everything works fine:

Code: Select all

<div id="map" style="width: {MAP_WIDTH}; height: {MAP_HEIGHT}; padding:-5px; border:#000000;"></div>

<div id="map" style="width: 100%; height: 400px; padding:-5px; border:#000000;"></div>
BassFace

Post by BassFace »

carpflashes.nl wrote: Well the size was not my problem that was okey
butt putting the adress in gives error at my site like this one

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: file_get_contents() in /home/httpd/vhosts/carpflashes.nl/httpdocs/board/includes/phpbb_phoogle.php on line 179 
wenn a place the latitude and longitude there are no error
butt people don't understand how the must place the latitude and longitude into there profile

Ahhhh yes, I remember that error now. That error is produced by the Yahoo! geocoder (the service that converts addresses into lats/longs). To suppress it change that line of code from:

file_get_contents
to this:

@file_get_contents
The Yahoo! service only does US addresses, which is why I've removed it from the next version (it will use the Google geocoder). Hopefully it will handle international (non-US) addresses better.
Also the way the user enters lats/longs into the Profile is much easier in the next version.
gansert

Post by gansert »

bum63 wrote: Hey BassFace
my map looked the same way as gansert's when I first installed it but after I changed size code everything works fine:

<div id="map" style="width: {MAP_WIDTH}; height: {MAP_HEIGHT}; padding:-5px; border:#000000;"></div>

<div id="map" style="width: 100%; height: 400px; padding:-5px; border:#000000;"></div>

thx for that.

But if I enter an adress in the profile it is not shown exactly. I enter a street name and it does not show up on the map. Only somewhere close. Mostly in the city I can be found.

Is this i bug of google or why is this?
aussiewal

Post by aussiewal »

Hi gansert

The problem is with the yahoo geocoder.

The new version due our soon will use the google gecoder and this should fix the problem.

I have removed this from my site as it caused major problems, I run a non usa site.

Will
gansert

Post by gansert »

Hi aussiewal,
thanks for the information.

I just found out my lLatitude / Longitude and entered only that.

Now it is very close to my street. But not perfectly.

I also heard that the maps are not that good if you live outside the USA.

I am looking forward to the new version!
aussiewal

Post by aussiewal »

gansert wrote: Hi aussiewal,
thanks for the information.

I just found out my lLatitude / Longitude and entered only that.

Now it is very close to my street. But not perfectly.

I also heard that the maps are not that good if you live outside the USA.

I am looking forward to the new version!

If you have the correct coordinates it works perfect but is you type in an address the mod crashes.

The new version from my understanding uses a new way to find coordinates so I can't wait either.

Will
gansert

Post by gansert »

aussiewal wrote: If you have the correct coordinates it works perfect but is you type in an address the mod crashes.

The new version from my understanding uses a new way to find coordinates so I can't wait either.

Will

I got the latitude from http://world.maporama.com/idl/maporama/default.aspx

But on the map it is about 300- 500 meter away.. :? Only almost perfect.
gansert

Post by gansert »

BassFace wrote: ...and that new release v0.0.3 will be out sometime tomorrow. 8)

Cool 8)
BassFace

Post by BassFace »

gansert wrote: I got the latitude from http://world.maporama.com/idl/maporama/default.aspx

But on the map it is about 300- 500 meter away.. :? Only almost perfect.

The mod should show you the lat/long of the map center at all times. Does it not show on yours? Can you post a link to your map page?
gansert

Post by gansert »

Hello BassFace :D

here is my phoogle - map for my adress.

http://www.isoliert.de/forums/phoogle_map.php?u=2

I am petty close now. I do live on Lievergeserg but the smiley is on Neusser Landstraße. ( a little bit above)

It is no big problem, tho. But I canT get the smiley to my street which is Lievergesberg

Thx Gansert
Shrubbn

Post by Shrubbn »

Hi,
Thanks for trying out my mod!
Did you run the SQL lines that add the fields to the phpbb_users table? They are in the install txt file - toward the top of the file.

Hopefully that'll do it! 8)

BassFace
PS I'll have a new version out very soon - probably this weekend, so it may be best to just wait 'til then (for reasons like aussiewal has run into regarding how some addresses don't work with the geocoder).

LoL I knew I did something wrong, thanks buddy!
I guess if you're using another template that you're gonna have to change them as well? And also, I got this smiley in Greenwich, England ; can't you remove it, he's actually pointing somewhere in france lol.
Cheers
BassFace

Post by BassFace »

Shrubbn wrote: I guess if you're using another template that you're gonna have to change them as well? And also, I got this smiley in Greenwich, England ; can't you remove it, he's actually pointing somewhere in france lol.
Cheers

That's correct about the different templates - just substitute the word subSilver for your template's name.

Re: Greenwich, UK. Yeah, I need to do something about that. The map needs at least one point to display or it won't show up at all, so I used Greenwich. Then I changed the map center, cuz it was looking sligtly off to me. My bad! :roll:

I'll fix that in the next bug fix.
BassFace

Post by BassFace »

OK fellas / gals! I just uploaded v0.0.3! :D :D :D

phpbb phoooglemap MOD v0.0.3

Copy your Goole Maps API key somewhere and re-install your unmodified files that you changed for v0.0.1 - v0.0.2 because there's been some changes (well worth it in my unbiased opinion! :wink: )

Please let me know ASAP if you run into troubles.
Please read the new install txt file closely, the process has changed a bit since the last version.

I'll be in and out of the forums today to keep an eye out for folks needing help.

BassFace 8)
PizzaHuge

Post by PizzaHuge »

Hi Will

i had installed map version 0.0.1 and havent come to forum for a while, now i look on this topic and found you have released version newer which is look very nice compare to version 0.0.1

i downloaded the newest version you released is 0.0.3 but there i could not find any instruction to upgrade my installed mod that you first release, i really like the update for the new and better map mod from you, could you please release the upgrade instruction or at least tell me what i should do to install the newest version ?

thanks so much and very appreciated all your works

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”