[BETA] Forum Acronym / Cross Reference MOD

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
stephen_a

[BETA] Forum Acronym / Cross Reference MOD

Post by stephen_a »

MOD Title: Forum Acronym MOD
MOD Description: This MOD allows you to cross reference acronyms and other words and phrases inside your board by adding a new bbcode tag (acronym) to your board.
MOD Version: 1.0.0
phpBB Version: 2.0.22

MOD Download: http://www.tty.org.uk/acronymmod_v1.zip (14K).

Demo : http://www.tty.homelinux.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=503

NOTES:

You MUST have installed the Multi BBCode MOD before installing this MOD

Before you can use the acronym expander you need to configure at least one forum to support acronym searches:

After Installation, from the standard Forum Management screen either edit an existing forum or create a new one and check the 'Enable Acronym Search in this Forum' option.

Using the new feature:

The best way of explaining how to use the new acronym tag is an example:

1. In the forum that you enabled acronym searching on create a NEW topic (each Acronym should go in its own topic)
2. Call the new topic phpBB
3. In the body of the post put in some text about phpBB. You can use bbcode here - make it look good.
4. Save the new post
5. In another forum on your board create (or edit) a post
6. In the body of the post enter the text : This board runs [acronym]phpbb[/acronym]
7. Save the post
8. look at the post you have just created. The word PHPBB is underlined. If you move your cursor over it then you should get a pop up with the body of the post you entered in step 3 as the text**
9. Of course this only works if you have Javascript enabled. If you haven't then you can click on the link and it will open a new window** and take you to the post you created in step 3.

Note:
** This will depend on how you have configured the options in the board configuration page.

DualFusion

Post by DualFusion »

cool so you amde something like this: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=501484?

Mike TUMS

Post by Mike TUMS »

no, our mods aren't similar...
I think that this MOD is useful for FAQ, Rules, etc.

Sorry for my bad english, i'm just russian ;)

stephen_a

Post by stephen_a »

Mike TUMS wrote: no, our mods aren't similar...
I think that this MOD is useful for FAQ, Rules, etc.

No they aren't similar - although they do similar things.

I specifically designed mine to be able to handle full posts because a couple of sites I help run wanted to be able to link back to longer articles than the other mods allowed

stephen_a

Post by stephen_a »

OK - I've had a good number of downloads but not one bit of feed back.

Does anyone actually like this mod?
Are there things I could do to improve it?

Frankly I'm considering dropping the file off my server - if people can't be bothered giving me feedback then why should I bother about coding it?

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik »

Hehe, welcome to mod designing and beta/RC stages :). Not receiving reports doesn't means there are no interest in a mod, but simply it may be working enough well, or most often it doesn't invoke something clear to the users. Sometime it is simply long to get some reports too (depending the kind of mods). If by your side you find no bugs, don't have any bugs reports, nor receive negative feedbacks, wait for two monthes between the first public release of the code, and submit it to the mod database.

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

stephen_a wrote: .... why should I bother about coding it?

I can say: for your own satisfaction? To share your own knowledge? There are a lot of reasons that lead a coder to do what you're doing..

regards
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
:studio_microphone: Premium extensions @ The Studio

Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

How about going to it's own page of definitions instead of using a thread?

:edit: oops nevermind. Just read why. :)

stephen_a

Post by stephen_a »

3Di wrote:
stephen_a wrote:.... why should I bother about coding it?

I can say: for your own satisfaction? To share your own knowledge? There are a lot of reasons that lead a coder to do what you're doing..

regards

That is true - but I'm sure you will agree some feedback would be nice ;)

stephen_a

Re: [BETA] Forum Acronym / Cross Reference MOD

Post by stephen_a »

Projects I'm working on have moved me away from PHPBB so basically I'm abandoning this mod.

ArlinOrlando

Post by ArlinOrlando »

That's a very good mod!
I installed on my site and its working realy nice!

I have 2 sugestions ;)

1- In some cases there are more then one term for a acronym. Would be nice if we could insert this terms separated by commas (or other pre-defined separator) on the topic title and the acronym function match them...

For example:

If I write a definition for NiCd Battery and I would like to acronym it with "NiCd" or "Nickel-cadmium" I could write on the topic related to the definition some ting like "NiCd,Nickel-cadmium" so the acronym bbcode will match for both terms...

2- If a description on a tooltip has a acronym on it and I pass the mouse over it, would be nice if it open another tooltip over the existing one... (of couse this will only be possible if you set "var ttStatic = true;" , "var ttSticky = true;" and "ttClickClose = true;" on wz_tooltip.js)

I am trying to do this modifications but I am not realy sure how to do it... If you could give me some help, I will apprecciate. Thanks!

joeyeti

Post by joeyeti »

Hi,
this is exactly what I have been searching for.

I have a question: is it possible to limit this MOD working only in a certain section? So that it would only replace the acronyms in a certain subsection and nowhere else?

For example - I have an "Academy" subsection in my forum and only want the Acronym MOD to work there - to explain unknown words to users, nowhere else (of course no matter where the section with the original definitions is).

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”