MOD Description: A Chat add-on for phpBB2.0.x boards using AJAX. Fully integrated.
MOD Version: 0.4.1
Demo Forum http://thetruecoolness.com/forum/index.php
NOTE: You will have to register an account to try it out, and will not have access to the Mod or Admin panel. Not updated to latest yet has V0.4.0.
User Manual http://thetruecoolness.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4
PHP >= 4.3
phpBB 2.0.22 (should work with older versions, but untested, and unsupported)
Latest Version (before asking questions make sure you have the latest version installed)
Now includes empty logs folder, for those who can't use mkdir on their hosting.
MOD to upgrade from previous
Upgrade V0.4.0 to V0.4.1
There is a syntax error in the MOD file for 0.4.1 (not sure if it's in the upgrade or not at the moment)
In the page_header.php edit make sure to put a semicolon (;) at the end of this excerpt.
Change Log$sql = 'SELECT u.user_allow_viewonline, c.*
FROM ' . CHAT_USERS_TABLE . ' c, ' . USERS_TABLE . ' u
AND u.user_id = c.user_id'
Code: Select all
Screenshots from V0.4.0
Normal Chat ('Coolwave theme')
User Options ('Coolwave theme')
Windowed Chat Display ('Coolwave theme')
Chat Options ('Fiyah theme')
Style Options ('Fiyah theme')
Feel free to suggest new features, but realize it may take a while to integrate them
- Multiple Chat rooms
- Can only be created by admins.
- Mods can be configured to be able to change room names.
- Ability to be in multiple rooms at once with tabbed interface for switching
- Per room permissions (like the forums)
- So set a room to ADMIN only post and REG view for an announcement room.
- Per group/user room permissions (again like the forums ACLs)
- Only accessible by registered members
- Full bbCode support
- IRC like commands (use /help in chat to view)
- User ignore feature
- Ability to gag users as Mod or Admin
- Promote or demote users to Room Mod with the user menu
- Message history to remember your last 10 messages entered (refreshing the page empties this)
- Auto Away feature to set users away after a certain time (set in Admin Panel)
- Admin Panel for editing chat configuration (accessible in chat or ACP)
- Board Admins are automatically chat Admins
- Other users can be made Chat Admins
- Chat admins who are not board admin can access Chat Admin panel in chat page.
- Mod status does not carry over
- Mod Panel in chat for unbanning and unkicking users and renaming rooms (if allowed)
- Users can set their name color, and default text style, and display name
- Highly responsive interface
- Standards compliant css layout and HTML which uses theme colors (from DB)
- Chat data automatically created on first entrance in Chat
- Log files automatically created on first user entry to room
- Log files never grow bigger than you want them to
- Most actions can either be done in a user menu or through IRC commands
- View user forum profile in user menu
- Auto logout on window/tab close, or leaving the page (popups must be enabled)
- Auto logout of users who haven't been in the chat for 5 minutes (for those unable to logout for some reason)
- Auto set to away after inactivity (set in Admin Panel or User Options)
- Temporary disabling of chat (similar to disable board)
- Set number of previous messages scene on entry to chat to keep users up on conversation.
- Keeps bandwidth, page load, and sql queries statistics on AJAX and main page of chat.
- Keeps access log of user and room to diagnose problems.
- Installs with EasyMOD on a new board
- Passed mEAL
- Private messaging support (like IM)
- Smiley display
- Supports most foreign characters
- Users can make their own styles and save their color choices
- Many user options
- Three different display styles (Full page header, simple header, or a resizeable div Window over an Iframe browser.
The chat uses the DB entry of the users theme to draw the default colors for all parts.
tr_color2 is the background for the chat area and user lists
tr_color3 is the background for unselected buttons and the user options panel
body_link is the background for selected items and the room list
fontcolor3 is the foreground for selected items
th_color2 is the border color for various items
body_text is used as the default for the text box though it's overwriten by the user selected text_color
So if your style has not set these it will look like subSilver.
All the rest of the styling is done in chat_css.php and the colors are set up in chat.php. Users can define their own colors.
Newly made Mods must refresh their browser in order to get their powers as these are not transferred over AJAX, same with Admins.
Some style and general options require refresh to take effect.
-- Chat Height, Display Style, and some style colors.
- Resizing the Windowed chat is somewhat buggy. Not recommended. Minimize, maximize and move work fine though.
- No hovers
- Add room will sometimes not include name.
- Ctrl + enter will not put newline in.
- /join IRC command is buggy. Not sure why, since it should be the same as selecting a room. So it has been disabled.
- Autoaway sometimes stops working, or will set people away too soon. This can be turned off by the user.
version - anticipated release date (subject to change)
0.3.0 - 03/03/07 - RELEASED |||||||||| 100%
- Add Private Messaging Support |||||||||| 100%
- Add smiley popup similar to forum one |||||||||| 100%
- Display Login/Logoff messages in room |||||||||| 100%
- Make chat able to be displayed on any phpBB page not just it's own. ||||||||| 100%
- Make user able to style the chat colors and save their style settings. |||||||||| 100%
- Allow users to save log since entering room plus 5 minutes before that (admin configurable). Include option to turn off as well. |||||||||| 100%
- Add admin options for message style in chat (bbCode, HTML, and smilies) |||||||||| 100%
- Add in flood control for all updates by queuing them in SESSION vars |||||||||| 100%
- Updates statistics including both AJAX page and chat.php, and average SQL queries for both |||||||||| 100%
- Code and SQL cleanup and restructuring |||||||||| 100%
- Make guest able to view the chat |||||||||| 0%
- Kick guests out if a member wants to join and max concurrent users has been past
- Update room permissions to include ALL
- MultiBBCode optional integration. |||||||||| 0%
- Admin Theme panel for creating chat themes |||||||||| 80%
- Sound support and sound packs (hopefully, will require user to have QuickTime plugin installed) |||||||||| 20%
- Documentation release.
- Export/Import of Chat themes, images and sound packs.
- Simplified chat template for insertion on any page.
- Simplification of chat theme creation, with possible addition of background images for each element.
- User documentation pointing out how to use all features and keyboard shortcuts
- Admin Panel documentation including explaining what all config options do
- Mod Panel documenatation
- Developer documentation including how to customize, full explanation of DB tables, files, and how to edit the chat.tpl file and JS file
- Nothing new in this version, just code and bug fixes from previous
07/15/07 - Important error found. Also removed release dates until I get back on track with this.
06/10/07 - Put up version 0.4.1 and update, and updated release dates, Sorry about all the delays, but I got really sidetracked with some other things and am slowly getting back into updating this.
05/08/07 - Updated progress on 0.5.0, and some release dates.
04/25/07 - Updated release dates, as some things are taking longer than planned, and I have been moving recently, and job hunting
04/01/07 - Updated some release dates and put up date for initial release version.
03/24/07 - Released V0.4.0 and update and updated page to reflect that.
03/18/07 - Updated release dates, put some new features in V0.5.0