[ALPHA] CoolnessChat (integrated AJAX chat) v0.4.1

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
LordsWarrior

Re: [ALPHA] CoolnessChat (integrated AJAX chat) v0.4.0

Post by LordsWarrior »

thetruecoolness wrote: Yeah I've been working on revising the Permissions system a bit, still have yet to test out the changes so I'll see how well they're working. For the Chat it will always be User permissions override group though. Which means if you have defined a user permission, then it will be the one used and not the group, however if you have not explicitly defined a user permission, then it will take the group. This was you can still gag and kick members in the chat room without having to individually edit their settings and check the group ones.

Perfect!!
May be nice to have a way to reset all user permissions for a room. Just incase we have 50 + memebers that need to have their user settings manually changed.

Anyways...sounds great.

Look forward to it.

-LW
thetruecoolness

Post by thetruecoolness »

Well I just put up a demo forum for the Chat. The link is on the first post. Please do not abuse this, as if it ends up taking up too many resources on my hosting I may have to take it down.

This will help allow those unable to install this, or who want to wait a chance to try out the basic features of the chat. Note that Admin and Moderator features are not available in the demo, and you will have to register to try it out (this way I can keep better track of number of concurrent users). So remember to click on options and play with things. All the main features are there and enabled (IMG, CODE and QUOTE bbCode tags are disabled). So go try it out if you have not, and remember to keep the conversation family friendly, go to far and you will face banning from the chat, and possibly the whole forum.
earl7399

Post by earl7399 »

This is a pretty cool system. I've installed it, and it seems to have instigated some issues.

I'd previously installed the latest_topic_on_index_1-1-9 mod which creates a marquee on the index which now shows two new 'bugs':

In Firefox, the marquee suddenly wouldn't stop scrolling on mouseover, and it jumps back to the top instead of just rolling like it used to.

I did discover that removing the "document.all." from the "document.all.recent_topics" stop and start pieces fixed the first, but I still cannot figure out the second problem.

Suggestions?
Wolfpawz

Post by Wolfpawz »

Code: Select all

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: mb_encode_numericentity() in /home/content/w/o/l/wolfpawz/html/chat.php on line 886
Any help with this bug?
thetruecoolness

Wolfpawz wrote:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: mb_encode_numericentity() in /home/content/w/o/l/wolfpawz/html/chat.php on line 886
Any help with this bug?
Yep. View This post in this topic on how to comment out this functionality. It also explains what it is for.

Just to let everyone know I am still working on this, just things have been slow as job hunting has been taking up quite a bit of my time lately, but I should soon be at the end of the search with a job so I'll have more time to work on this now. I have pretty much everything done on the admin side for themes and sound, just have to write the client side code for it. I have also been hard at work on squashing all the bugs reported in the last version, including this one. So when V0.5.0 comes out it will check for mp_encode_numericentitiy's existance so if your server doesn't support it you should not get errors (though unfortunately you still won't have international character support if your install of PHP does not have this function).

So should be about a week before V0.5.0 is out as I want to take my time and fix as much as possible this version, and cleanup and refactor a lot of the code. The Javascript code has been changed a lot, and now is all contained in classes, and all non dynamic code is put in regular .js files to improve client side caching. As for what's left, just client side sound and theme integration, and guest viewing and a few more tweaks to permissions to make sure they function correctly in all cases, and to allow for batch permission changing. By the end of the month I hope to have a BETA feature complete version available, and then a couple of weeks after that RC1.

So I've still been working on it on and off, just it's been kind of slow lately.
Wolfpawz

Post by Wolfpawz »

Can you upload the two editied files? I know I sound weird, but I'm having a hard time with this... It's now giving me the error on page stuff.
LordsWarrior

Post by LordsWarrior »

thetruecoolness wrote: So should be about a week before V0.5.0 is out as I want to take my time and fix as much as possible this version, and cleanup and refactor a lot of the code. The Javascript code has been changed a lot, and now is all contained in classes, and all non dynamic code is put in regular .js files to improve client side caching. As for what's left, just client side sound and theme integration, and guest viewing and a few more tweaks to permissions to make sure they function correctly in all cases, and to allow for batch permission changing. By the end of the month I hope to have a BETA feature complete version available, and then a couple of weeks after that RC1.

So I've still been working on it on and off, just it's been kind of slow lately.

Sounds great coolness. When you do a new version does it automaticcaly update or is there a bit of configuration needed on our end?

-LW
thetruecoolness

LordsWarrior wrote: Sounds great coolness. When you do a new version does it automaticcaly update or is there a bit of configuration needed on our end?

-LW
Well this time I think there is going to be a little more configuration involved, as I have to pull initial theme data from the board themes DB, and there are a couple of DB changes, since quite a few new things can be styled (like drop downs and text boxes and such in the chat), and of course users can choose from the predefined themes now. But all the files you can just copy over unless you did any modification to them. Also there is an update to template.php this time to add two functions (assign_block_var, and assign_block_var_from_handle) necessary to make changes to message display only require editing one template file (since they're shown in Chat, Save Log, and the Admin Chat Log viewer), and the auth_chat function needs some changes.

But I will make sure it upgrades correctly from EasyMOD like the last one did. So you should be able to keep all your previous DB data (though you should probably backup before upgrade).

There will probably be an install.php in the chat folder though, to set up themes and I might have to fill in some new values on users styles from the set default theme (since all of them will have to have values now). Also I'm going to look into a way to make sure mkdir always works, because sometimes if it doesn't PHP will also not be able to create new files in the logs folder (because the folder was created by the FTP user, and PHP does not have permissions). Not sure why certain servers reject this, and other don't.
Wolfpawz wrote: Can you upload the two editied files? I know I sound weird, but I'm having a hard time with this... It's now giving me the error on page stuff.
I'll try to get to this later tonight or early tomorrow in the form of V0.4.1, to add in all the fixes I've posted since it came out.
keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

I used the demo looking good so far. I'm definitely going to keep my eye on it. Any idea when you're going to release the next version?
thetruecoolness

Well I'm going to shoot for this weekend, haven't been working on it much lately, but going to change that this week. Need to reorganize some things, and figure out where I am again tomorrow. I have most of the admin side of themes and sound done, and just started getting sound to work on client side, though it may need some tweaking. So need to make sure themes work client side, and get in allowing guests to view the main chat.
earl7399

Post by earl7399 »

FWIW, on my board (http://www.harvestnet.org/phpBB2/) the chat is unpredictable wrt scrolling to keep up with messages - works for some, not for others.
LordFPL

Post by LordFPL »

Hi :)
I want to know if there is a way to disable the automatic display of smilies.
Actually your chat let the user choose to toggle or not the smilies list... but it's toggle on by default... how make this off by default ?
Thanx for your answer, and many thanx for this great chat :mrgreen:
thetruecoolness

LordFPL wrote:Hi :)
I want to know if there is a way to disable the automatic display of smilies.
Actually your chat let the user choose to toggle or not the smilies list... but it's toggle on by default... how make this off by default ?
Thanx for your answer, and many thanx for this great chat :mrgreen:
See this post.

As for the next version, to be honest it's been a while since I've worked on this, so I'm going to take this week to reorganize what I was doing, and start writing the documentation a little early for my sake. So might be 2 weeks before the next version comes out, as I really don't want to set a definite release date until I figure out exactly where I am and what's left. But by today or tomorrow expect to see V0.4.1, which will add in all the fixes I've posted in this thread since 0.4.0 came out, and maybe a few extras.
thetruecoolness

Re: [ALPHA] CoolnessChat (integrated AJAX chat) v0.4.1

Well version 0.4.1 is up now and fixes some of the most common problems found in 0.4.0, so it should be a lot less buggy, and a little more user friendly now. Still working on 0.5.0 but it's still going to be a while before it's finished, as I have to get back into making this again as it's been a while since I worked on it, but 0.5.0 will still contain the updates suggested on the main thread.
waynedcam

Re: [ALPHA] CoolnessChat (integrated AJAX chat) v0.4.1

Post by waynedcam »

I seem to be having a problem with the 0.4.1 version. I get blank pages.. It seems to be in this part of the mod, as I went in reverse order and put my origional files back up until it was working again, then deleted code chunks from the file until it started to work....

#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#
includes/page_header.php

#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#
	$l_online_users .= sprintf($l_g_user_s, $guests_online);

#
#-----[ AFTER, ADD ]------------------------------------------
#
	// BEGIN coolnessChat MOD
	// BEGIN Chat users online code	
	$sql = 'SELECT u.user_allow_viewonline, c.* 
	FROM ' . CHAT_USERS_TABLE . ' c, ' . USERS_TABLE . ' u 
	WHERE logged_in 
		AND u.user_id = c.user_id'
	if( !($chat_user_result = $db->sql_query($sql)) )
	{
		message_die(GENERAL_ERROR, 'Could not obtain chat user/online information', '', __LINE__, __FILE__, $sql);
	}

$chat_users_online = 0;
	while( $row = $db->sql_fetchrow($chat_user_result) )
	{
		$style_color = '';
		if ( $row['user_level'] == ADMIN )
		{
			$row['username'] = '<b>' . $row['username'] . '</b>';
			$style_color = 'style="color:#' . $theme['fontcolor3'] . '"';
		}
		else if ( $row['user_level'] == MOD )
		{
			$row['username'] = '<b>' . $row['username'] . '</b>';
			$style_color = 'style="color:#' . $theme['fontcolor2'] . '"';
		}
		$user_status = ($row['user_status'] == $lang['Here']) ? '' : '(' . $row['user_status']. ')';
		$user_online_link = '<a href="' . append_sid("profile.$phpEx?mode=viewprofile&" . POST_USERS_URL . "=" . $row['user_id']) . '"' . $style_color .'>' . $row['username'] . $user_status . '</a>';
		$chat_users_online++;

if ( $row['user_allow_viewonline'] || $userdata['user_level'] == ADMIN )
		{
			$chat_online_userlist .= ( $chat_online_userlist != '' ) ? ', ' . $user_online_link : $user_online_link;
		}

}
	$db->sql_freeresult($chat_user_result);
	if ( empty($chat_online_userlist) )
	{
		$chat_online_userlist = $lang['None'];
	}

if ( $chat_users_online == 0 )
	{
		$l_chat_user_s = $lang['chat_online_users_zero_total'];
	}
	else if ( $chat_users_online == 1 )
	{
		$l_chat_user_s = $lang['chat_online_user_total'];
	}
	else
	{
		$l_chat_user_s = $lang['chat_online_users_total'];
	}

$l_chat_online_users = sprintf($l_chat_user_s, $chat_users_online);
	// END coolnessChat MOD
I am modding this by hand, as my site has some additional mods installed. I didn't see any conflicts, however, I could be wrong. I was wondering if the placement of this was code was correct. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Wayne

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”