[BETA] phpBB Instant Messenger

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Thoul

[BETA] phpBB Instant Messenger

Post by Thoul » Thu Nov 07, 2002 10:06 am

This mod is an integrated instant messenger client, originally based on this request. phpBB IM uses the framework of phpBB's private message system to relay instant messages between users. Here's a snippet from the readme file that describes the mod pretty well:
When launched, phpBB IM opens a new browser window that serves as the Main IM Client. This window automatically refreshes on a regular time interval (the length of which is configurable) and checks for new instant messages on each refresh. The Main IM Client also lists the current number of new private messages (with a link to phpBB's private message section), the users and numbers of registered users, hidden users, and guest users online. The list of online users includes a link to each user's forum profile and a "Message" link, where you can send the user an Instant Message. There is also a "Controls" section, which contains links that may be of use, such as Close Windows (closes all open message windows), Logout (does the same as Close Windows, plus logs you out of the forum and closes the Main IM Client), Preferences, and Check for IMs.

A smaller new window is opened for each new instant message, and you can reply or close the new windows while choosing whether or not to save the new message. Instant Messages themselves have full support for all features that private messages have, such as BBCode, HTML, Smilies and signatures. When sending a message, you also have the option of saving a copy in your private messages. Messages that aren't saved when you read them are automatically deleted on the next refresh of the Main IM Client.

phpBB Instant Messenger can be downloaded from the DarkMODs phpBB IM Summary Page. You can also find a demo, the README file, preview screenshots, and a support forum there.

Any suggestions for new features are very welcome. :)
Last edited by Thoul on Fri Jan 17, 2003 2:35 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Garry

Post by Garry » Thu Nov 07, 2002 10:39 am

Here's the changes for the german language file ... may want to include in the archive ...

Code: Select all

#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#
language/lang_german/lang_main.php

#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#

//
// That's all Folks!

#
#-----[ BEFORE, ADD ]------------------------------------------
#
//
// MOD: phpBB IM
//

$lang['Users_Online'] = 'User Online';
$lang['Hidden_Users_Online'] = 'Versteckte User Online';
$lang['Guests_Online'] = 'Gäste Online';
$lang['Launch_phpBB_IM'] = 'phpBB IM starten';
$lang['phpBB_IM'] = "phpBB IM";

//
// MOD: -END-
//

Garry

Post by Garry » Thu Nov 07, 2002 10:54 am

Just a quick note - first of all, great work, tnx!!! Seems to work fine ...
Only possible changes I'd probably do - for IM "chatting", the forced delay between posts might (not sure) be a bit bad... but mainly the forced topic ... I have people on my old board sending some 20-30 messages back and forth during a session, usually without a topic ... I understand that by integrating the IM with the regular messages, this might be a problem ... anybody with any insight on the internal workings can maybe comment on this ...

Also, it might be nice to automatically launch the IM upon entering the board (e.g., calling the main index page - that's how it worked on BlazeBoard) - what would be a good place to add this?

Another suggestion - as those IM messages are usually only a kind of "chat-replacement", they usually can be deleted after reception ... how about putting different buttons on the bottom - e.g. a checkmark (default selected) that will cause the displayed message to be delete upon selecting reply or close ... though not that important right now, just have to teach the users to clean their mailboxes every now and then ... ;)

Again, great work!

.::Neo::.

Post by .::Neo::. » Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:16 am

Dutch Translation:

# 
# 
language/lang_dutch/lang_main.php 

# 
# 

// 
// That's all Folks! 

# 
# 
// 
// 

$lang['Users_Online'] = 'User's Online'; 
$lang['Hidden_Users_Online'] = 'Verborgen User's Online'; 
$lang['Guests_Online'] = 'Gasten Online'; 
$lang['Launch_phpBB_IM'] = 'phpBB IM Starten'; 
$lang['phpBB_IM'] = "phpBB IM"; 

// 
// 
| De Nederlandse phpBB Support Site | NO Support offered by PM or Mail! | Use Search before you ask Questions | MOD Template | Debug Mode |

Garry

Post by Garry » Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:19 am

Possible problem ... when receiving an IM, and doing ANYTHING in the main BB window, a refresh of the IM window will not show the new IMs. Only when a refresh occurs without anything else in between will _all_ received IMs be displayed ...

Garry

Post by Garry » Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:03 pm

Garry wrote: Also, it might be nice to automatically launch the IM upon entering the board (e.g., calling the main index page - that's how it worked on BlazeBoard) - what would be a good place to add this?

OK, here's a MOD for the MOD ... ;)
This will popup the IM window when entering the board without any args, so if somebody choses to close the IM window, it will not be re-opened until he actually returns to the start page ...

#
#
templates/subSilver/overall_header.tpl

#
#
</head>

#
#
<!-- MOD IM Popup -->
<script language="Javascript" type="text/javascript">
<!--
        if ( {POPUP_IM_WINDOW} )
        {
                window.open('imclient.php', '_phpbbim', 'HEIGHT=400,resizable=yes,WIDTH=225');;
        }
//-->
</script>

<!-- MOD IM Popup -->

#
#
includes/page_header.php

#
#
//
// The following assigns all _common_ variables that may be used at any point
// in a template.
//

#
#
//
// MOD IM Popup
//
if ($QUERY_STRING=="")
{
        $POPUP_IM_WINDOW=1;
}
else
        $POPUP_IM_WINDOW=0;
//
// END MOD
//

#
#
        'NAV_LINKS' => $nav_links_html)

#
#
        'POPUP_IM_WINDOW' => $POPUP_IM_WINDOW,
For now, this seems to be working ...

cdkrg

Post by cdkrg » Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:33 pm

bookmarking to egosearch

Worthalter

Post by Worthalter » Thu Nov 07, 2002 3:52 pm

Spanish Translation

# 
# 
language/lang_spanish/lang_main.php 

# 
# 

// 
// That's all Folks! 

# 
# 
// 
// 

$lang['Users_Online'] = 'Usuarios Conectados'; 
$lang['Hidden_Users_Online'] = 'Osuarios Conectados Ocultos'; 
$lang['Guests_Online'] = 'Usuarios Invitados'; 
$lang['Launch_phpBB_IM'] = 'Abrir Mensajero instantaneo phpBB'; 
$lang['phpBB_IM'] = 'Mensajero instantaneo phpBB'; 

// 
//

Pda0

Post by Pda0 » Thu Nov 07, 2002 4:32 pm

Actually, you have some misspellings ;)

I fixed them here.

.pd
Worthalter wrote: Spanish Translation

# 
# 
language/lang_spanish/lang_main.php 

# 
# 

// 
// That's all Folks! 

# 
# 
// 
// 

$lang['Users_Online'] = 'Usuarios Conectados'; 
$lang['Hidden_Users_Online'] = 'Usuarios Conectados Ocultos'; 
$lang['Guests_Online'] = 'Usuarios Invitados'; 
$lang['Launch_phpBB_IM'] = 'Abrir Mensajero instantáneo phpBB'; 
$lang['phpBB_IM'] = 'Mensajero instantáneo phpBB'; 

// 
//

gurgi

Post by gurgi » Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:14 pm

eeek I get the following error where my header should be:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_DOUBLE_ARROW in /web/sites/110/gurgithebrave/www.gurgithebrave.f2s.com/forum/include ... header.php on line 333

any ideas?

Garry

Post by Garry » Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:24 pm

gurgi wrote: Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_DOUBLE_ARROW in /web/sites/110/gurgithebrave/www.gurgithebrave.f2s.com/forum/include ... header.php on line 333

Can't even find that string in the file at all ... much less line 333 ... !? Probably some minor typo you put in there while updating the file ...

gurgi

Post by gurgi » Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:40 pm

well I did a simple cut and paste and I have double checked the code twice its identical to the original. :?:

surtin3xposed

Post by surtin3xposed » Fri Nov 08, 2002 3:09 am

How would I go about making it so you only see the overallheader link if you're logged in? I've tried some things but it's not working like I want it to... :?

Thoul

Post by Thoul » Fri Nov 08, 2002 3:38 am

Wow, thanks to everyone for the extra languages. I'll be sure to include them and your names in the next version I put out. :)
gurgi wrote: Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_DOUBLE_ARROW in /web/sites/110/gurgithebrave/www.gurgithebrave.f2s.com/forum/include ... header.php on line 333

A "T_DOUBLE_ARROW" is one of these things: =>. You should make sure that the code added to page_header.php is between the line that says $template->assign_vars(array( and the line that the mod says to find. (Make sure you're adding before the line the mod says to find, and not after - I think that would cause the parse error you're finding.) If it still doesn't work, you can email me your page_header.php and I'll take a look at it if you wish.
surtin3xposed wrote: How would I go about making it so you only see the overallheader link if you're logged in? I've tried some things but it's not working like I want it to...

If you put <!-- BEGIN switch_user_logged_in --> before the link and <!-- END switch_user_logged_in --> after it, it should work. I actually meant to put that in the mod file, but I did it wrong. :oops:
Garry wrote: OK, here's a MOD for the MOD ... ;)

Nice job. :) If it's okay with you, I'll add a slightly modified version of that to the next version.
Garry wrote: Possible problem ... when receiving an IM, and doing ANYTHING in the main BB window, a refresh of the IM window will not show the new IMs. Only when a refresh occurs without anything else in between will _all_ received IMs be displayed ...

Aha! So that was what broke my refreshes last night... thanks for the heads up, I'll look into fixing that. I'll also look at cutting down the forced delay between posts and the forced topic. It shouldn't be difficult to hard-code a default subject.

Garry

Post by Garry » Fri Nov 08, 2002 5:21 am

Thoul wrote:
Garry wrote:OK, here's a MOD for the MOD ... ;)

Nice job. :) If it's okay with you, I'll add a slightly modified version of that to the next version.

Sure, go ahead ...
Thoul wrote:
Garry wrote:Possible problem ... when receiving an IM, and doing ANYTHING in the main BB window, a refresh of the IM window will not show the new IMs. Only when a refresh occurs without anything else in between will _all_ received IMs be displayed ...

Aha! So that was what broke my refreshes last night... thanks for the heads up, I'll look into fixing that. I'll also look at cutting down the forced delay between posts and the forced topic. It shouldn't be difficult to hard-code a default subject.

Well, for the IM display, you will probably just need to use a different "new messages" flag than the one used by the header ...

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”