[ALPHA] Checkbox Challenge 0.5.0 (2007-05-11)

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
drathbun
Former Team Member

Re: [ALPHA] Checkbox Challenge 0.5.0 (2007-05-11)

Post by drathbun » Tue May 29, 2007 3:47 am

dahlsim wrote:I have a phpbb board that's having a lot of problems with bogus registrations. I assume that since this mod is being worked on that there is no established mod that has really solved this issue?
Sure, there are plenty out there that provide a number of different options. Some of them work very well, but I didn't like the style or presentation that the user would see.
This mod looks interesting but I'm curious as to why the built-in option that supposed to require users to enter what they see on an image doesn't stop bot registrations? It seems to do the same general thing that these checkboxes are doing right?
The standard image challenge has been unable to stop registration bots for quite some time. A more difficult image would be harder for bots, but potentially harder for users as well.
What about a way to simply ban certain domains from registering, is that something that's easily implemented in phpbb?
It's a standard feature. However, spammers create new domains every day. There is no way to stay ahead of the game. Besides, you only find out about the domains after they have spammed (or at minimum registered on) your board, which is no good. You need a way to stop the automatic process.

This MOD works extremely well, for now. :-) If it were to be added as a standard option in phpBB (it won't, but just as an example) then it would also become useless as the bot writers would take apart the code and rewrite their bots so that they would be able to solve this trivial challenge as well. It works now because it's different.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

poyntesm

Post by poyntesm » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:05 am

Using this with great success. Brilliant MOD.

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:10 pm

I have just downloaded this and will be testing it shortly. I will be sure to let you know the results! :)
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog

johnniekelly

Post by johnniekelly » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:42 pm

Hi there

I seem to have done something wrong... i followed the MOD install instructions but I end up with a blank area where the checkboxes should be. Any idea what I've done wrong?

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:35 pm

Check the edits for usercp_register.php, and also the profile_add_body.tpl and make sure they're all in the right place.

For the record, I'm going to be moving development and support to another one of my sites soon, once I figure out which one I want to use. I plan to do this in the next month or so so there is time to get everything done before the phpBB2-related forums are shut down completely on this site. :)
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”