[RC1] Registration Auth Code (RAC)

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
BIN95

Re: [RC1] Registration Auth Code (RAC)

Post by BIN95 »

I tried this MOD of yours and keep getting various errors like the one below ...

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at e:\web\public_html\bin95\downtime\forum\includes\usercp_register.php:1) in e:\web\public_html\bin95\downtime\forum\includes\page_header.php on line 483

After the first time I double checked, read all replies to you post and issues others where having (although most a very happy thank yous.) Then I started replacign each modified file with backup original and trying to figure out which file was offensive. The errors did not go away until I put back the very last file, the languege file, then with all original, forum worked without erros.

Then I tried entering modes, one at a time and checking forum. the error above (plus t other simular ones) showed up right after modifying usercp_register.php with your mods.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I want to be one those lucky few who say spam bots don't register bogus names no more. :D
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 »

BIN95 wrote:I tried this MOD of yours and keep getting various errors like the one below ...

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at e:\web\public_html\bin95\downtime\forum\includes\usercp_register.php:1) in e:\web\public_html\bin95\downtime\forum\includes\page_header.php on line 483

After the first time I double checked, read all replies to you post and issues others where having (although most a very happy thank yous.) Then I started replacign each modified file with backup original and trying to figure out which file was offensive. The errors did not go away until I put back the very last file, the languege file, then with all original, forum worked without erros.

Then I tried entering modes, one at a time and checking forum. the error above (plus t other simular ones) showed up right after modifying usercp_register.php with your mods.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I want to be one those lucky few who say spam bots don't register bogus names no more. :D
What program are you editing the PHP files with?
It is VERY important that you only use a plain text editor which does not add any extra information to the files.
In particular, there must not be anything added before the "<?php" at the start, or after the "?>" at the end.
That is no spaces, no blank lines, nothing!
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
goldone

Post by goldone »

how do you install it?
ric323
Former Team Member

Post by ric323 »

goldone wrote:how do you install it?
What version phpBB do you have?
Your only other post is asking about phpBB3, but this MOD is for phpBB2.
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
BIN95

Post by BIN95 »

As I was using the code editor in MS Sharepoint Designer, so I would have swore using a text editor was not the problem. :lol:
... But after seeing how most all your other solutions offered to visitor's problems was correct the first time, I though I would take your advice and try just notepad as an editor. I don't like using it becuase no line breaks make code difficult to read, and I thought more chance for me to make an error.

But you where right, as usuual !! It now works and I have zero bogus registrations. !!! great Job, great MOD !!!
:mrgreen:
rakastajatar

Post by rakastajatar »

Ok, I did do the mod and it works great. not a single spammer but now, no friends can sign up. the image displays a code and it always says it's incorrect. i even tried it. so i went back and re-read the instructions. i tried the code i placed in the usercp_register.php file, and that didn't work.

any idea what to do?
ric323
Former Team Member

Post by ric323 »

Did you put any upper case letters in the code?
The default instructions convert what you type into lower case before doing the comparison.
rakastajatar

Post by rakastajatar »

no upper case at all. should it be all upper case?
in that case, would i just need to update the code i created?
ric323
Former Team Member

Post by ric323 »

No, I would put it all in lower case. Could we have a link to your board please?
rakastajatar

Post by rakastajatar »

ric323
Former Team Member

Post by ric323 »

You have made a mistake in the changes to http://redroomies.com/phpBB2/templates/ ... d_body.tpl

You have inserted the RAC code too early. Carefully check the "search for" string, what you are looking for has to match the WHOLE string.
rakastajatar

Post by rakastajatar »

I'll do that now.

thanks. cross your fingers
rakastajatar

Post by rakastajatar »

apparently this was missing

Code: Select all

<tr> 
	  <td class="row1"><span class="gen">{L_CONFIRM_PASSWORD}: * </span><br />
		<span class="gensmall">{L_PASSWORD_CONFIRM_IF_CHANGED}</span></td>
	  <td class="row2"> 
		<input type="password" class="post" style="width: 200px" name="password_confirm" size="25" maxlength="32" value="{PASSWORD_CONFIRM}" />
	  </td>
	</tr>
so i put in based on the subsliver location. then the RAC code. i never had problems with mod's much, usually i can handle this but this is just racking my brain!
Still no one can sign up. i've been trying myself.
ric323
Former Team Member

Post by ric323 »

rakastajatar wrote:apparently this was missing

Code: Select all

<tr> 
	  <td class="row1"><span class="gen">{L_CONFIRM_PASSWORD}: * </span><br />
		<span class="gensmall">{L_PASSWORD_CONFIRM_IF_CHANGED}</span></td>
	  <td class="row2"> 
		<input type="password" class="post" style="width: 200px" name="password_confirm" size="25" maxlength="32" value="{PASSWORD_CONFIRM}" />
	  </td>
	</tr>
so i put in based on the subsliver location. then the RAC code. i never had problems with mod's much, usually i can handle this but this is just racking my brain!
Still no one can sign up. i've been trying myself.
No it wasn't, you now have it in there twice.
Start again with the unmodified file. The RAC code goes AFTER all the password questions.
rakastajatar

Post by rakastajatar »

You have exceeded the number of registration attempts for this session. Please try again later.

i'll have to try again later then.
thanks for helping i hope i do not have to post back here.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”