[ABD] Slashdot Style News Posting By CMX - 2.0.6

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
CodeMonkeyX

[ABD] Slashdot Style News Posting By CMX - 2.0.6

Post by CodeMonkeyX » Mon Jan 20, 2003 7:10 am

The Slashdot News Mod for the phpBB forum provides the ability for authorized forum users to post news messages. These news messages can then be viewed from by post date, or by news category from a page linked to on the main forum page.

Feature Overview:
* Slashdot style news postings.
* News topics are marked in forum view.
* News categories are easily selected when posting or editing topics.
* Enable, disable, and set image path from the admin control panel.
* Easily assign forum and group permissions form the forum and group control panels.
* Easily add, edit, and delete news categories from the News control panel.
* Included RSS news syndication, to allow other sites to syndicate your news stories.

See the download page for a more information.

Download: Sourceforge.net Project Files

Demos:
sakamuyo.net - Blog
lesforumiens.net
forum.ciela.net
Last edited by CodeMonkeyX on Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:36 am, edited 27 times in total.
CodeMonkeyX
codemonkeyx.net
"Codito Ergo Sum" - Descartes (kinda)

CodeMonkeyX

Post by CodeMonkeyX » Mon Jan 20, 2003 7:17 am

BTW I have done all development on 2.0.4 so it will be compatable with the new release of phpBB.
CodeMonkeyX
codemonkeyx.net

LifeIsPain
Former Team Member

Post by LifeIsPain » Mon Jan 20, 2003 7:24 am

Wow, I have to say I like the looks of this. True, I wasn't looking for it particularly, and I haven't compared the features to the other news ideas, but from the top, I think this seems better for what I would want, assuming I did use.

The one thing is that if the uesr doesn't have permission, they shouldn't see that drop down box, right? I would assume you did this, but I just wanted to make sure.

But looks good. I probably would add an extra lang_main line to use instead of "Smiley Configuration", but that is real easy to do.

Enjoy.
LifeIsPain - one who needs to be smackedLife is pain, highness! Anyone who says differently is selling something.

CodeMonkeyX

Post by CodeMonkeyX » Mon Jan 20, 2003 7:31 am

LifeIsPain wrote: The one thing is that if the uesr doesn't have permission, they shouldn't see that drop down box, right? I would assume you did this, but I just wanted to make sure.

Thats right if a user does not have permission then they don't see the box. You set the permissions just like the "view" and "post" permissions for forums. And you can make up user groups for News posters.
LifeIsPain wrote: But looks good. I probably would add an extra lang_main line to use instead of "Smiley Configuration", but that is real easy to do.

Yeah I just took the smilies code for the admin panels and deleted all the unneeded stuff. Adding the $lang entries is the next thing I am going to do before posting the mod.
CodeMonkeyX
codemonkeyx.net

cscgal

Post by cscgal » Mon Jan 20, 2003 8:18 am

I'm very very interested in this mod. Do you have an expected release date yet? Or is it still awhile away?
TechTalk Forums
Where cool techies unite!

SUBMIT YOUR SITE TO OUR LINKS DIRECTORY!

netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic » Mon Jan 20, 2003 8:23 am

Looks good :)

One suggestion, don't know if you've considered it yet, would be to have a default icon assigned to a forum and the option to not show the drop down list of icons for a forum (actullay that's tow isn't it ;).
Defend the game:

CodeMonkeyX

Post by CodeMonkeyX » Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:19 am

I'm very very interested in this mod. Do you have an expected release date yet? Or is it still awhile away?

Well everything seems to be working ok right now. I just have to clean up the code, and write the install script. A development release should be out soon for you to try, but it could be buggy. Also I have to do a test install on a clean phpBB2 forum to make sure the instructions work.
One suggestion, don't know if you've considered it yet, would be to have a default icon assigned to a forum

I did not understand what you meant to start with, but now I get it. So if you post a new topic in your "computer" forum, then the default might be a computer Icon. The problem with that is that the defualt has to be a regular post (i.e. no catagory) or else every post will be news.
and the option to not show the drop down list of icons for a forum (actullay that's tow isn't it ).

That is built into the permissions. You could set the forum permissions for news to admin, and not turn on rights for that forum in the usergroup permissions. The admin will still be able to post news in there though.
CodeMonkeyX
codemonkeyx.net

CodeMonkeyX

Post by CodeMonkeyX » Mon Jan 20, 2003 11:27 am

I have finished cleaning up the code. I will try to install it on a clean forum tommorow, see how it does.

If all is well I will post the first development version tommorow.
CodeMonkeyX
codemonkeyx.net

totoelectro

Post by totoelectro » Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:42 pm

very good idea !! nice Mod :D

Cross_+_Flame

Post by Cross_+_Flame » Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:42 pm

This is EXACTLY what I am looking for, ever since the last one in development sold out and went commercial. It hasn't been selling well, so hopefully my monkey friend here will contribute to the community :D

If you want an established forum to beta-test, email me.

admin@crossandflame.com

Or, whenever you post it, I'll just dl it :D

LifeIsPain
Former Team Member

Post by LifeIsPain » Mon Jan 20, 2003 6:21 pm

Just wondering, didn't ask it before cause I just thought about it (now that your install is getting close :) ) anyway, will it be possible to turn another users post into a news post (for an admin or mod) for inclusion? This would be like the make sticky or annoucement then, which could be good. It would also be nice (but really, I am not trying to push you here) if at this point, you could lock the first post just to be safe from the user wanting to have too much fun.
LifeIsPain - one who needs to be smackedLife is pain, highness! Anyone who says differently is selling something.

CodeMonkeyX

Post by CodeMonkeyX » Mon Jan 20, 2003 10:26 pm

Cross_+_Flame wrote: This is EXACTLY what I am looking for, ever since the last one in development sold out and went commercial. It hasn't been selling well, so hopefully my monkey friend here will contribute to the community.

Yeah I was waiting for that one too, but I guess he just wanted to get our ideas for his own project. :cry: Don't worry I am going to relase this, and soon I hope. :) But if I put something out that is too buggy I will spend more time trying to help fix peoples installs, and less making the mod better. ;)

With that said, I have just finished writing the install instructions. I am just going to get all the files together, then do a test install and see how it all works.
LifeIsPain wrote: Just wondering, didn't ask it before cause I just thought about it (now that your install is getting close icon_smile.gif ) anyway, will it be possible to turn another users post into a news post (for an admin or mod) for inclusion? This would be like the make sticky or annoucement then, which could be good.

I did a quick test, and it seems like if you have permission to edit a post you can change its catagory. As the admin on my test board I could change the users posts catagory.
CodeMonkeyX
codemonkeyx.net

CodeMonkeyX

Post by CodeMonkeyX » Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:43 am

I just released V0.1.0 on my website. Give it a try. See the original post for more information.

Download:CodeMonkeyX.net

I will update this thread with new releases, but after I update the post on my site. So check both for updates in the future.
CodeMonkeyX
codemonkeyx.net

CodeMonkeyX

Post by CodeMonkeyX » Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:34 pm

I have found one problem.

Do not delete any catagories that have posts associated with them, you will probably get some SQL errors when trying to display posts.

I will have to fix this in the next version. I will ether changes all posts that are in that catagory back to regular posts, or ask the admin which catagory to dump them all in insted.
CodeMonkeyX
codemonkeyx.net

cscgal

Post by cscgal » Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:54 am

I've been trying all day and can't for the life of me get this mod to work! :(
I keep getting the error ...

Code: Select all

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/www/techtalkforums/beta/includes/constants.php:371) in /home/www/techtalkforums/beta/includes/sessions.php on line 182

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/www/techtalkforums/beta/includes/constants.php:371) in /home/www/techtalkforums/beta/includes/sessions.php on line 183
phpBB : Critical Error 

Could not open techTalk template config file

I double checked all the files and the database modifications. I just don't know where I screwed up. :(

codemonkey, is it possible for you to provide us with a pre-modded set of the files? (just in case I made a careless error somewhere, which I'm sure I must have b/c there are just soooo many file changes to make in this mod)

that would be absolutely great!!

(even better, pre-modded with the attachment mod too, as it's the only other major mod that I use, and I'm sure many other people use it too)

thanks a realllllll bunch! that would be fantastic if anyone could do this
if not, it's okay too :)
TechTalk Forums
Where cool techies unite!

SUBMIT YOUR SITE TO OUR LINKS DIRECTORY!

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”