[ABD] Slashdot Style News Posting By CMX - 2.0.6

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
furrysound

Post by furrysound »

Hi CMX..

I'm trying to install Beta3 onto php 204 and mysql 3.23.54. I'm following the steps and found that removing the ' s helped me with the alter commands, but when I try the insert commands I get:

INSERT INTO phpbb_config ( config_name , config_value ) VALUES ( allow_news, 1 )

MySQL said:

Unknown column 'allow_news' in 'field list'

I was wondering if you might know what I am doing wrong or missing here. Thanks.

FurrySound{Moo}
CodeMonkeyX

Post by CodeMonkeyX »

furrysound wrote: Hi CMX..

I'm trying to install Beta3 onto php 204 and mysql 3.23.54. I'm following the steps and found that removing the ' s helped me with the alter commands, but when I try the insert commands I get:

INSERT INTO phpbb_config ( config_name , config_value ) VALUES ( allow_news, 1 )

MySQL said:

I was wondering if you might know what I am doing wrong or missing here. Thanks.

FurrySound{Moo}

Try putting the ' back around allow_news and the 1 see if that helps.
CodeMonkeyX
codemonkeyx.net
"Codito Ergo Sum" - Descartes (kinda)
furrysound

Post by furrysound »

When I put the ' s back in, this is what I get, hence my attempt at removing them, since for the ALTER TABLE phpbb_topics ADD news_id INT UNSIGNED DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL; lines I had to remove the ' s around the 0 ...

INSERT INTO phpbb_config ( config_name , config_value ) VALUES ( \'allow_news\', \'1\' );

MySQL said:

You have an error in your SQL syntax near '\'allow_news\', \'1\' )' at line 1

I noticed it changes my line, adding in \ s to it.

FurrySound{Moo}

P.S: This is a completely new phpBB installation with nothing added, all it has is the basic Test Topic/Post.
CodeMonkeyX

Post by CodeMonkeyX »

furrysound wrote: When I put the ' s back in, this is what I get, hence my attempt at removing them, since for the ALTER TABLE phpbb_topics ADD news_id INT UNSIGNED DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL; lines I had to remove the ' s around the 0 ...

INSERT INTO phpbb_config ( config_name , config_value ) VALUES ( \'allow_news\', \'1\' );

MySQL said:

You have an error in your SQL syntax near '\'allow_news\', \'1\' )' at line 1

I noticed it changes my line, adding in \ s to it.

FurrySound{Moo}

P.S: This is a completely new phpBB installation with nothing added, all it has is the basic Test Topic/Post.

I do not think it is a problem with phpBB. You probably have an old version of MySQL and that is the problem.

Did you try all the differnt combinations?
'allow_news', 1
allow_news, '1'
CodeMonkeyX
codemonkeyx.net
furrysound

Post by furrysound »

Yes, I have tried all those...

Per my first message, I'm trying to install Beta3 onto php 204 and mysql 3.23.54. <-- I read in another post on here someone else did get it working on this version of mySQL...

FurrySound{Moo}
CodeMonkeyX

Post by CodeMonkeyX »

Well then I am stumped. If you have phpMyAdmin installed then you should try using that to insert the new rows. That would be the easiest way now.
CodeMonkeyX
codemonkeyx.net
furrysound

Post by furrysound »

Well... that's what I've been using :cry: to do the procedures in install.txt .... Pasting the mysql commands... how would I do the insert completely manually, maybe that would work, I don't mind doing it, just not sure exactly what steps I should take etc... Thanks... I'm really hoping to get this working. I'm trying to unite all the news postings for the Chaotic Dreams team, makers of the Chaos mod for Quake2, Unreal and Unreal2003, and your mod is the most promising method to do it.

FurrySound{Moo}
CodeMonkeyX

Post by CodeMonkeyX »

furrysound wrote: Well... that's what I've been using :cry: to do the procedures in install.txt .... Pasting the mysql commands... how would I do the insert completely manually, maybe that would work, I don't mind doing it, just not sure exactly what steps I should take etc... Thanks... I'm really hoping to get this working. I'm trying to unite all the news postings for the Chaotic Dreams team, makers of the Chaos mod for Quake2, Unreal and Unreal2003, and your mod is the most promising method to do it.

FurrySound{Moo}
  1. From the phpMyAdmin home page select your phpbb database.
  2. In the right panel click on "phpbb_config"
  3. Along the top of the page click on the "Insert" tab.
  4. In the "Value" field for "config_name" enter "allow_news" with no other punctuation.
  5. In the "Value" field for "config_value" enter "1" with no other punctuation.
  6. Click on the "Go" button.
If this does not work then there is a problem with your databse. You should bug your Web host to sort it out. Because if phpMyAdmin can not insert a row then there is something else wrong.
CodeMonkeyX
codemonkeyx.net
furrysound

Post by furrysound »

Great! Thanks. I was able to insert it that way. mySQL came back with this command as being entered:
INSERT INTO `phpbb_config` (`config_name`, `config_value`) VALUES ('allow_news', '1');

Yet, when I do that, it still comes back with:

But, its working manually, so I will just deal with it for now and submit the issue to my provider for review.

Thanks for your help. I will let you know how it goes.

FurrySound{Moo}
furrysound

Post by furrysound »

I added all the lines manually and it looks to be working. Will be doing some major testing and tweaking tonight. Thanks again for your help with this. Great Mod!!

FurrySound{Moo}
CodeMonkeyX

Post by CodeMonkeyX »

furrysound wrote: I added all the lines manually and it looks to be working. Will be doing some major testing and tweaking tonight. Thanks again for your help with this. Great Mod!!

FurrySound{Moo}

Your welcome :)
CodeMonkeyX
codemonkeyx.net
furrysound

Post by furrysound »

hmm... I seem to be missing a space... When looking at a forum, the word 'News:' is listed next to each topic that is news. But there is no space between the ':' and the topic name... ie: 'News:Board is up again' ... so I looked through the code (viewforum.php)... found

$news_label = ( $topic_rowset[$i]['news_id'] > 0 ) ? $lang['News'] . ':' : ''; <-- note the lack of a space

and changed it to

$news_label = ( $topic_rowset[$i]['news_id'] > 0 ) ? $lang['News'] . ':' : ' '; <-- note the space added into the ' ' section.

But I don't see this actually working. Wondering if you had any ideas on what I'm missing here... do I need to use the ASCII code or something instead? Or am I fishing in the wrong ocean? Thanks.

FurrySound{Moo}
CodeMonkeyX

Post by CodeMonkeyX »

furrysound wrote: hmm... I seem to be missing a space... When looking at a forum, the word 'News:' is listed next to each topic that is news. But there is no space between the ':' and the topic name... ie: 'News:Board is up again' ... so I looked through the code (viewforum.php)... found

$news_label = ( $topic_rowset[$i]['news_id'] > 0 ) ? $lang['News'] . ':' : ''; <-- note the lack of a space

and changed it to

$news_label = ( $topic_rowset[$i]['news_id'] > 0 ) ? $lang['News'] . ':' : ' '; <-- note the space added into the ' ' section.

But I don't see this actually working. Wondering if you had any ideas on what I'm missing here... do I need to use the ASCII code or something instead? Or am I fishing in the wrong ocean? Thanks.

FurrySound{Moo}

Add a space after the colon.

Code: Select all

$news_label = ( $topic_rowset[$i]['news_id'] > 0 ) ? $lang['News'] . ': ' : '';
CodeMonkeyX
codemonkeyx.net
cstotes

Post by cstotes »

So what state of "doneness" is this mod in? It looks awesome but I don't want to install it until it is at a 1.0 stage. Keep up the good work.
CodeMonkeyX

Post by CodeMonkeyX »

cstotes wrote: So what state of "doneness" is this mod in? It looks awesome but I don't want to install it until it is at a 1.0 stage. Keep up the good work.

All the features I want are there. I am not getting many error reports anymore so I am thinking it is going well. :)

I submitted it to the mods database, and I am waiting to see what they say.

So to answer, it is pretty much done. As long as you have the latest phpBB (2.0.4), php, and mysql installed you should be fine.
CodeMonkeyX
codemonkeyx.net

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”