[ABD] Slashdot Style News Posting By CMX - 2.0.6

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
teste87

Post by teste87 »

senghong79

Post by senghong79 »

small bug:

news_config_body.tpl

Code: Select all

name="news_topic_trim" 
should be

name="news_title_trim" 
typo on lang_news.php

$lang['News_item_num_explain'] = 'The defualt number of news posts displayed in news_viewnews.php.';
should be

$lang['News_item_num_explain'] = 'The default number of news posts displayed in news_viewnews.php.';

Great MOD!
senghong79

Post by senghong79 »

I like the way this MOD integrate with phpbb so much that I thought of another way to use it.

I installed an second, almost Carbon Copy of this MOD in my test forum and renamed everything from news --> articles (tables names, configs, variables, language terms, file names, etc) , removed some irrelevant part (rss, etc), did some small changes to make sure it doesn't clash with the already installed News MOD..... and VOILA! I have a simple articles system. :D

It's no KB, but good enough for my use.
Jamy

Post by Jamy »

about the SQL tabels, I don't thin kI can handel that part I have a little knoledge of such things and I don't want to compromise my comunity, is there a way around it ?
senghong79

Post by senghong79 »

Jamy wrote: about the SQL tabels, I don't thin kI can handel that part I have a little knoledge of such things and I don't want to compromise my comunity, is there a way around it ?

Do you have access to phpmyadmin?

If yes, you can try the tutorial below:

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=74143

It's just cut and paste, don't worry. :wink:
CodeMonkeyX

Slashdot News Mod V1.0.0 BETA6

Post by CodeMonkeyX »

I just finished uploading BETA6 of my Slashdot News Mod. This release is trying to get the mod ready for release. I have addressed most of the bugs that people have encountered.

Also I spent sometime cleaning up the install instructions, so that it matches the mod template. And to help with the install I borrowed a database install script from Acyd Burn's Attachment Mod. So now there is no longer any need for people to execute SQL commands them self.

Now for the bad news. There are no update instructions provided with this new release. There have been many changes to the code throughout its beta development, and I want the 1.0.0 release to be a clean start. But it is not the end of the world, I have shortened the install instructions quite a lot, by removing un needed modifications to the forum code.

If you are running BETA3 or higher there should not be any need to change the database at all. So your old news will be saved, and all you will have to do is install new files, and make the code changes.

I am going to submit this soon, so hopefully it will accepted into the mod database, and I can finally take the BETA off of the title. ;)
CodeMonkeyX
codemonkeyx.net
"Codito Ergo Sum" - Descartes (kinda)
cstotes

Post by cstotes »

I had just installed Beta4 yesterday. I'm trying to do something similar to the what sakamuyo did. I didn't see any upgrade directions in the beta6 download but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Here's the thread where I was asking for help on doing some modifications. Any ideas for the first problem I described?
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=125606
Dio2

Post by Dio2 »

Great Mod, it setup fairly easy, and I have also managed to get it in to ezportal. I have one problem that I cannot figure out thou. The font size is not the same as the reset of the board or portal.

Any ideas why?

Link: http://www.the-diodatos.com/phpBB2/portal.php
or http://www.the-diodatos.com/phpBB2/news_viewnews.php
CodeMonkeyX

Post by CodeMonkeyX »

You need to add a

<span class="postbody">
around the news message.

Just find the tag in news_body.tpl that looks like {news_items.POST_BODY} or something like that, and make it "<span class="postbody">{news_items.POST_BODY} </span>
CodeMonkeyX
codemonkeyx.net
Dio2

Post by Dio2 »

Thank you, it all works now... :D
CodeMonkeyX

Post by CodeMonkeyX »

cstotes wrote: I had just installed Beta4 yesterday. I'm trying to do something similar to the what sakamuyo did. I didn't see any upgrade directions in the beta6 download but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Here's the thread where I was asking for help on doing some modifications. Any ideas for the first problem I described?
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=125606

Yeah the upgrade should not be too hard.
CodeMonkeyX
codemonkeyx.net
anor

Post by anor »

Is the archive addon also available in the new 0.6 beta? It would be great to have it included. Thanks in advance.
CodeMonkeyX

Post by CodeMonkeyX »

anor wrote: Is the archive addon also available in the new 0.6 beta? It would be great to have it included. Thanks in advance.

Like I have said before, no new features. This is just trying to get version 1.0 released. New features will come in the next version.
CodeMonkeyX
codemonkeyx.net
basketforum

Post by basketforum »

CodeMonkeyX wrote: Thats right if a user does not have permission then they don't see the box. You set the permissions just like the "view" and "post" permissions for forums. And you can make up user groups for News posters.

Sorry, but I don't understand it 100%.

I don't see extra permissions for the forums in the "Forum Admin - Permissions". Is that normal?

Do I have to create a special group, give to a forum the 'private' label for 'POST' and give then the special group the permission 'Yes' to posting in "Group Permissions Control"

This means that a normal user who isn't member of the special group can't give a category to a topic. And that only mods and admin have the possibility to give a category

Help! ;-)
CodeMonkeyX

Post by CodeMonkeyX »

You should be able to just create a new group called "News Posters" then in the group permissions you should be able to grant access for that group to all the forums you want them to be able to post news into.
CodeMonkeyX
codemonkeyx.net

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”