[RC] Printer-friendly topic view mod

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
CyanBlue

Post by CyanBlue » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:02 pm

Well... I don't know much about the Unix and diff... and I don't know how good and efficient it is to use it... ;)

I've come accross this tool called ExamDiff which runs on Windows in case somebody want to know...
http://www.prestosoft.com/ps.asp?page=edp_examdiff
There's gotta be more out there though...

Thanh Binh

Post by Thanh Binh » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:04 pm

I think WinMerge does the job for Windows...

but i would prefer a separate print.php to avoid possible conflict with other mods as well as easier upgrade mod with upgraded version of phpBB...

Thanks for the mod.. when is the MOD going final :)?

NativeMind

Post by NativeMind » Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:13 pm

I made a separate print file, it's here:

http://www.gortbusters.org/misc/printtopic.tar.gz

The only mod to phpBB would be to the topic templates to include a print button, can put it wherever ya like. Enjoy!

Edit: Note that I got rid of the printer header php file and I renamed one of the template files to match the naming scheme (ie. viewtopic turns to printtopic).

Haywood Jahelpme

Post by Haywood Jahelpme » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:39 pm

Thanh Binh wrote: I think WinMerge does the job for Windows...

but i would prefer a separate print.php to avoid possible conflict with other mods as well as easier upgrade mod with upgraded version of phpBB...

Thanks for the mod.. when is the MOD going final :)?
I agree and that is what is holding me back from doing this mod.... I am not afraid, just don't have the time... A seperate print.php page would be ideal for upgrading and installing, with maybe a couple edits to existing files.

I will look at the one Native Mind submitted, however, if Svyatozar can make one, I would prefer to wait for that...

thanks!

Svyatozar

Post by Svyatozar » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:22 pm

I see what you mean: minimum editing.
Well, I will work on that. I thing it's pretty good thing to have such a choice. I accept it as a feature request.

Thanh Binh

Post by Thanh Binh » Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:19 am

cool dude :)...

I am off to test your mod :)

Thanh Binh

Post by Thanh Binh » Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:06 am

erm... the "printtopic_poll_result.tpl" missing...

NativeMind

Post by NativeMind » Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:30 am

Ah, I didn't test it on a topic with a poll... should be a no brainer to fix that!

Thanh Binh

Post by Thanh Binh » Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:34 am

And there is a bug in pagination

"Page blah of Blah"
The page number is still calculated using Board config post per page.. should be changed to msgcount...

I think we should remove some of the garbage too... we dont need as many code in printtopic.php as viewtopic.php...

Thanh Binh

Post by Thanh Binh » Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:34 am

actually "viewtopic_poll_result.tpl" work just as great :)...

scottjl

i got the bug..

Post by scottjl » Sat Sep 13, 2003 1:57 am

hmm.. have phpbb 2.06 running. just installed this mod (file says 1.02) and i have the GMT- bug. i thought it was fixed.. any help?

thanks!

--scott

Svyatozar

Post by Svyatozar » Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:41 pm

Try to download a newest version (same location) and just overwrite the page_header_printer.php - see if that helps. I will see if I can reproduce the error in 2.0.6

A new release of the mod is coming so please tell me if there are any bugs right away.

scottjl

success!

Post by scottjl » Sat Sep 13, 2003 1:03 pm

whatever you just did fixed it. thanks!

--scott

Svyatozar

Post by Svyatozar » Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:19 am

I decided not to include any printertopic.php files due to following reasons:

- it will require total remake of the mod, which is too expensive in terms of testing and support and in the end the choices would make this mod too complex to install, maintain and develop
- consistensy of the mod is also better to insure compatibility with other mods and thus is a valuable feature
- use of viewtopic.php has become a distinct characteristic of my mod, which separates it from other printer topic mods :D

It's time to make a release soon, so I don't want to mess with some wild ideas that can introduce new bugs. I hope you all understand that it's not hard to make a mod, but the pain of maintaining it is what makes people more cautious when adding new features. It's easy to spoil a soup by adding too much salt, if you know what I mean.

Have fun modding and discussing!

Thanh Binh

Post by Thanh Binh » Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:16 am

it will require total remake of the mod, which is too expensive in terms of testing and support and in the end the choices would make this mod too complex to install, maintain and develop

I think having a printtopic.php will ensure that you have virtually no conflict with any other mod as well as future bug-fixes, if any, on viewtopic.php.

printtopic.php is just simply a almost identical version of viewtopic.php with streamlined features hence it should be easy to maintain.

Definitely, having a seperate print.php will make installation painless by copy and pasting.

Developmentwise, what other features do you have in mind for future version of this MOD :)?
consistensy of the mod is also better to insure compatibility with other mods and thus is a valuable feature

How can patching viewtopic.php be more compatible than having a seperate similar version of "viewtopic.php"?
use of viewtopic.php has become a distinct characteristic of my mod, which separates it from other printer topic mods

If you intend to go that road, can I release my "modified" MOD which uses some of your ideas? I will acknowledge them of course :).. just for the sake of ppl like me who prefer simplicity.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”