[RC] PHPBB Spell Checker 1.06p - 09/20/05

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Nathan_Anderson

Post by Nathan_Anderson »

PastorJoeMiller wrote: Is there a help file or some instructions on how to install the Dictionary file?

1. Basically you name the files with a .dic extension.
2. Upload them to your spelling directory.
3. Run Spell Admin -> Import Dictionary
4. delete the .dic file since it is no longer needed.

Nathan.
PastorJoeMiller

Post by PastorJoeMiller »

Nathan_Anderson wrote: I just released 1.06o --

Fixed Safari support
Updated Install Instructions
ALPHA support for templates!

If you want to play with the new template support copy everything like normal then copy everything from the phpbb_alpha into your spelling directory.

Nathan.
How stable is the ALPHA template support? I don't have a demo board to test on, so I don't want to try it if there is a lot of instability.

Bye the way, I just installed the spell check with the ENGLISH dictionary and the BIBLE dictionary i put together (it should be in your e-mail box by now) and it all works great! Nice work!
Nathan_Anderson

PastorJoeMiller wrote:
Nathan_Anderson wrote:I just released 1.06o --

Fixed Safari support

If you want to play with the new template support copy everything like normal then copy everything from the phpbb_alpha into your spelling directory.

Nathan.
How stable is the ALPHA template support? I don't have a demo board to test on, so I don't want to try it if there is a lot of instability.

Bye the way, I just installed the spell check with the ENGLISH dictionary and the BIBLE dictionary i put together (it should be in your e-mail box by now) and it all works great! Nice work!

The Alpha is very stable, the only issue with it is that it doesn't look great with ALL templates, because some templates don't assign the proper figures in the template database. I also had to use my hard coded values with the buttons & button sizes at this moment. This I hope to have a work around for shortly. :)

I got your Dictionary, I will add it to be downloadable on my site shortly. Thanks!!!

NAthan.
PastorJoeMiller

Nathan_Anderson wrote:
PastorJoeMiller wrote:
Nathan_Anderson wrote:I just released 1.06o --

Fixed Safari support

Nathan.

The Alpha is very stable, the only issue with it is that it doesn't look great with ALL templates, because some templates don't assign the proper figures in the template database. I also had to use my hard coded values with the buttons & button sizes at this moment. This I hope to have a work around for shortly. :)

I got your Dictionary, I will add it to be downloadable on my site shortly. Thanks!!!

NAthan.
You are welcome for the dictionary and the template works perfectly fine on my board!
asinshesq
Name: Alan

Post by asinshesq »

I asked these questions earlier but I don't think they were ever answered (if they were, my apologies):

There are a few fundamental mispellings that spellchecker doesn't give the right suggestion for. Example: if you type 'teh' the spell checker sees it is wrong but does not suggest 'the'. Is there any way to teach it that it should suggest 'the' when it sees 'teh'?

Also, is there any way to teach it that 'e.g.' and 'i.e.' are ok words (it seems to view each letter as its own word because of the period that follows, so simply adding e.g. or i.e. to the list of learned words doesn't seem to help).
Nathan_Anderson

asinshesq wrote: I asked these questions earlier but I don't think they were ever answered (if they were, my apologies):

There are a few fundamental mispellings that spellchecker doesn't give the right suggestion for. Example: if you type 'teh' the spell checker sees it is wrong but does not suggest 'the'. Is there any way to teach it that it should suggest 'the' when it sees 'teh'?

I don't recall seeing either of these questions. But here is the answers?

Yes, I believe you could modify "THE" manually in the dictionary with the metaphonic value of "T"

As an asside, what do people think about "Auto-Correction" words like "TEH" -> "THE" being supported in the spellchecker? It wouldn't be that much harder to add it. :)

Also, is there any way to teach it that 'e.g.' and 'i.e.' are ok words (it seems to view each letter as its own word because of the period that follows, so simply adding e.g. or i.e. to the list of learned words doesn't seem to help).

Yeah, I think I might know a way to do that... I believe you can add those to $Spell_Config['Symbol_Tags'] which gets stripped out. :-)

Nathan.
LaZeR

Post by LaZeR »

Not sure if I missed anything in the description of how shorter (2 letters) words are handled but for some reason on a fresh install of phpspell on my 2.0.8, It seems to miss for example the word se.

Example: (I wrote the following of which it only caught "werks"
Checking phpspell to se how it werks.

Well it actually caught phpspell too :lol: but I then let it learn it.
Note: This is normal phpBB method w/ the ENGLISH.DIC install & using the db of course.

[Offtopic]Nathan, do you happen to have an 88x31 button banner?[/offtopic]
PastorJoeMiller

As an asside, what do people think about "Auto-Correction" words like "TEH" -> "THE" being supported in the spellchecker? It wouldn't be that much harder to add it.
Very good idea!
Nathan_Anderson

LaZeR wrote: Not sure if I missed anything in the description of how shorter (2 letters) words are handled but for some reason on a fresh install of phpspell on my 2.0.8, It seems to miss for example the word se.

Example: (I wrote the following of which it only caught "werks"
Checking phpspell to se how it werks.

I suspect "se" must be bogusally in the dictionary... I really need to prune that word list. :)
[Offtopic]Nathan, do you happen to have an 88x31 button banner?[/offtopic]

Nope, but I could easily create one.

Nathan.
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

Nathan_Anderson wrote:
asinshesq wrote:I asked these questions earlier but I don't think they were ever answered (if they were, my apologies):

Yes, I believe you could modify "THE" manually in the dictionary with the metaphonic value of "T"

OK, I'm not sure what you meant. I went into the database and found "the" and the column marked 'sound' had a value of 0. I tried to change the 0 to "T" and it seems to have worked (spellchecker now gives 'the' as a suggestion for the mispelled 'teh'). But did you mean to replace 0 with T or did you mean to add T to the 0 that was there (so that the entry would become 0T)? An entry of T seems to work but an entry of 0T or T0 doesn't. And what does this 'sound' column really do...why does putting a T in there tell it that a suggestion for 'teh' is the word 'the'?
...As an asside, what do people think about "Auto-Correction" words like "TEH" -> "THE" being supported in the spellchecker? It wouldn't be that much harder to add it. :)

That would be great.

Yeah, I think I might know a way to do that... I believe you can add those to $Spell_Config['Symbol_Tags'] which gets stripped out. :-)

Nathan.

That did the trick, thanks!
Nathan_Anderson

asinshesq wrote:
Nathan_Anderson wrote:
asinshesq wrote:I asked these questions earlier but I don't think they were ever answered (if they were, my apologies):

OK, I'm not sure what you meant. I went into the database and found "the" and the column marked 'sound' had a value of 0. I tried to change the 0 to "T" and it seems to have worked (spellchecker now gives 'the' as a suggestion for the mispelled 'teh'). But did you mean to replace 0 with T or did you mean to add T to the 0 that was there (so that the entry would become 0T)? An entry of T seems to work but an entry of 0T or T0 doesn't. And what does this 'sound' column really do...why does putting a T in there tell it that a suggestion for 'teh' is the word 'the'?

Yes, All I wanted you to do was replace the (letter) 'O' with an 'T'. Because TH sounds kinda like 'O' to the phonetic system. Where TEH sounds like 'T'. So what we did was massaged the data so that when a TEH is checked against the spell checker and it asks for all words that have the metaphonic sound of "T" it now finds 'THE'.

Nathan.
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

Nathan_Anderson wrote: ... Yes, All I wanted you to do was replace the (letter) 'O' with an 'T'. Because TH sounds kinda like 'O' to the phonetic system. Where TEH sounds like 'T'. So what we did was massaged the data so that when a TEH is checked against the spell checker and it asks for all words that have the metaphonic sound of "T" it now finds 'THE'...

OK, so all those 'O's in there are actually letters and not numbers? By changing O to T, does thta mean there are possible matches for teh that we are losing? Is it better to change O to OT (I assume that will tell it to look for words with meaphonic sound O plus words with a metaphonic sound T, right?)?
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

Nathan_Anderson wrote: ...As an asside, what do people think about "Auto-Correction" words like "TEH" -> "THE" being supported in the spellchecker? It wouldn't be that much harder to add it. :)...

How about allowing the user to add to a list of things that should automatically change to other things, like the MS Word autocorrect feature does.
Nathan_Anderson

asinshesq wrote:
Nathan_Anderson wrote:... Yes, All I wanted you to do was replace the (letter) 'O' with an 'T'. Because TH sounds kinda like 'O' to the phonetic system. Where TEH sounds like 'T'. So what we did was massaged the data so that when a TEH is checked against the spell checker and it asks for all words that have the metaphonic sound of "T" it now finds 'THE'...

OK, so all those 'O's in there are actually letters and not numbers? By changing O to T, does thta mean there are possible matches for teh that we are losing? Is it better to change O to OT (I assume that will tell it to look for words with meaphonic sound O plus words with a metaphonic sound T, right?)?

Actually what ends up happening is when you type "teh" in it asks the dictionary if "teh" exists, if it doesn't exist then it asks the dictionary for all words with the sound of "T" (which is what "TEH sounds like phonetically) Which now will bring back "THE" and any other "T" words. It uses the "sound column to find matches. Putting 'OT' won't work since 'O' is not the first sound of "TEH".

In this specific case the odds are pretty low that you are going to miss-spell "the" some other way. :) So it really is a non-issue. If you were going to replace several other words then you might have a problem.

Nathan.
Nathan_Anderson

asinshesq wrote:
Nathan_Anderson wrote:...As an asside, what do people think about "Auto-Correction" words like "TEH" -> "THE" being supported in the spellchecker? It wouldn't be that much harder to add it. :)...

How about allowing the user to add to a list of things that should automatically change to other things, like the MS Word autocorrect feature does.

This probably won't happen. The reason being is a cookie can only hold so much information. I could add an additional DB for tracking user options, but that adds an additional complexity to the spell checker and will cause it to make another couple hits against the db which will slow things down a little. I've been trying to avoid adding anything that hits the db as that is the slowest thing in the spell checker.

Nathan.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”