[RC] PHPBB Spell Checker 1.06p - 09/20/05

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
ZombieSlayer

Post by ZombieSlayer »

Nathan_Anderson :lol:

I've installed 1.06o and can't seem to get it to work :( The spellcheck button shows up, but when clicked nothing happens :( I get an "error on page" message.

Line 631
Char 1
Error object expected
Code 0
URL http://
The only thing I see wrong in the diagnostics is this;

Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in /home/***/_phpbb.php on line 246

The only thing on line 246 is ?>

***'s represent other characters ;)

I do have a test forum set up if you need to create an account for testing purposes, please use that forum :)
Last edited by ZombieSlayer on Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan_Anderson

Post by Nathan_Anderson »

ZombieSlayer wrote: Nathan_Anderson :lol:

I've installed 1.06o and can't seem to get it to work :( The spellcheck button shows up, but when clicked nothing happens :( I get an "error on page" message.

1. Did you copy the spell_message.js into your spelling directory. (it appears like it is missing)

2. Did you add to the template the <script.....> line?

Nathan.
ZombieSlayer

Post by ZombieSlayer »

Nathan_Anderson wrote: 1. Did you copy the spell_message.js into your spelling directory. (it appears like it is missing)

2. Did you add to the template the <script.....> line?

Nathan.

#1 Yes the spellmessage.js file is in the spelling directory. Uploaded from the phpBB folder.

#2 The following are the only codes I added;

Code: Select all

#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#
 templates/subsilver/posting_body.tpl
#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
#
#-----[ BEFORE, ADD ]------------------------------------------
#
<script language='javascript' src='spelling/spellmessage.js'></script>
#
#
		  <tr> 
			<td colspan="9"><span class="gen"> 
			  <textarea name="message" rows="15" cols="35" wrap="virtual" style="width:450px" tabindex="3" class="post" onselect="storeCaret(this);" onclick="storeCaret(this);" onkeyup="storeCaret(this);">{MESSAGE}</textarea>
			  </span></td>
		  </tr>
#
#-----[ AFTER, ADD ]------------------------------------------
#
  <tr><td colspan="9" align="right">
     <input type="button" class="mainoption" value="SpellCheck" name="button" onclick="openspell();">
  </td></tr>
#
#-----[ SAVE/CLOSE ALL FILES ]------------------------------------------
Nathan_Anderson

ZombieSlayer wrote: #1 Yes the spellmessage.js file is in the spelling directory. Uploaded from the phpBB folder.

#2 The following are the only codes I added;

#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#
 templates/subsilver/posting_body.tpl
#
#
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
#
#-----[ BEFORE, ADD ]------------------------------------------
#

You appear to be missing this in your posting_body.tpl template:

Nathan.
ZombieSlayer

Post by ZombieSlayer »

Nathan,

Thanks! That fixed it :D I feel retarded that I missed adding that one line of code :oops: Oh well :lol:
geethanandh

Post by geethanandh »

i couldn't download the spellchecker, is the site up and running
Nathan_Anderson

geethanandh wrote: i couldn't download the spellchecker, is the site up and running

It appears like it is down... :( It should be up shortly.

Nathan.
GPKings

A little help please.

Post by GPKings »

Thanks for such a great product. My members have been begging for something like this for months now.

First things first: I AM not a phpbb guru or even half way competent on half the stuff it can do. I am however very competent with computer stuff. I think? Here is what I did.

I am running phpbb 2.06.

I uploaded your files to the server where I believe you wanted them. I modified the posting_body.tpl file. One quick question. When you say add before does that mean on a new line before or on the same line and just before the command? I inserted a new line before the command and added what you wanted per instructions for phpbb.

Here is what is happening.

The "SpellCheck" button is visible when my users create or reply to topics. However when you click on the button a box appears (in SubSilver color, even though Im running BCBlack template) and thats about it. No text or anything inside the box.

From my Admin panel I see the SpellCheck option and I click on it. I try to add the english.dic file that I downloaded from your site but IT will NOT give me the option to add. The drop down box clicks but has nothing there.

I really appreciate your patience and time.

Doug Redding
Nathan_Anderson

Re: A little help please.

GPKings wrote: Thanks for such a great product. My members have been begging for something like this for months now.

First things first: I AM not a phpbb guru or even half way competent on half the stuff it can do. I am however very competent with computer stuff. I think? Here is what I did.

I am running phpbb 2.06.

I uploaded your files to the server where I believe you wanted them. I modified the posting_body.tpl file. One quick question. When you say add before does that mean on a new line before or on the same line and just before the command? I inserted a new line before the command and added what you wanted per instructions for phpbb.

Here is what is happening.

The "SpellCheck" button is visible when my users create or reply to topics. However when you click on the button a box appears (in SubSilver color, even though Im running BCBlack template) and thats about it. No text or anything inside the box.

From my Admin panel I see the SpellCheck option and I click on it. I try to add the english.dic file that I downloaded from your site but IT will NOT give me the option to add. The drop down box clicks but has nothing there.

I really appreciate your patience and time.

Doug Redding

1. You need to make sure you upload the english.dic (assuming you are using english) file up to the server in the "spelling" directory. Then it should be available in the spell admin.

2. The default theme for the spell check goes along well with SubSilver and is hard coded. If you want to try the alpha code it supports theming. ; you need to replace the files in the spelling directory with the alpha directory and it should use your default color scheme. :)

3. Add Before means:

<this is the command to add>
<this is the command to find>
or

<this is the command to add><this is the command to find>
Nathan.
GPKings

Post by GPKings »

Nathan,

Thank you much. I will try your suggestions when I get home. I am at work right now and I can't access my Cpanel for my server (Damn Firewalls). You correctly identified two things I did wrong. I failed to upload the English.dic to the "Spelling" folder and I did not add the new command before the old, on the same line.

Thanks again I will post here with results,

GPKings

:)
geethanandh

Remove first . character

Post by geethanandh »

Hi Nathan
When i was looking at your code, i found this in spellcheck.php
// Remove first '.' character that is used so that browser doesn't delete enters
// Add Trailing Space for End of Document Check clearing of Words.
$Document = stripslashes(substr($Document,1)).' ';

How did '.' got appended in the first place.

Is there any forum you have regarding this spellcheck
Nathan_Anderson

Re: Remove first . character

geethanandh wrote: Hi Nathan
When i was looking at your code, i found this in spellcheck.php
// Remove first '.' character that is used so that browser doesn't delete enters
// Add Trailing Space for End of Document Check clearing of Words.
$Document = stripslashes(substr($Document,1)).' ';

How did '.' got appended in the first place.

Is there any forum you have regarding this spellcheck

I have the javascript on the client automatically add a '.' to the end of the buffer being sent. Some browsers were eating part of the spaces/linefeeds when it was submitting it. This was an easy solution that worked on all browsers. I add a character on the client end at the very end of the buffer and then strip it out on the server, which then gives me a unmodied buffer. :)

As to a forum, nope I primarely support it here. I will be putting a forum up soon on my site for support of this and another larger project, I just haven't had any spare time to do so.

Nathan.
geethanandh

Post by geethanandh »

where is the code for adding the '.' in the client side, which file has it
Nathan_Anderson

geethanandh wrote: where is the code for adding the '.' in the client side, which file has it

Uhm, why would you want to change it? The only reason it is there is because without it some browsers break. One character added to the end of the buffer is a small price to pay for all browsers working...

But if you really want to change it, Check the spelling.js file, but then don't ask me why the spell check stops working on several browsers. :)

Nathan.
geethanandh

Post by geethanandh »

I dont wanna change, i am understanding how you have written it

Thanks
Great Work

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”