[BETA] Use phpBB as a CMS

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
sold_out

[BETA] Use phpBB as a CMS

Post by sold_out »

Hi,

in lack of a good content management system (CMS) or portal system based around phpBB2, I started getting frustrated. Also, I fear that the official phpBB Portal currently under development will be more like nuke than I will like. In my opinion, Nuke and PostNuke are great portal systems, but not every site can be a portal! I wanted a nice CMS for my site that let's me enter content whenever I want via a comfortable phpBB2-like GUI.

So I embarked on a quest for... ahem, sorry about that. :wink: I just started writing something myself. It needed to be simple, to be installed like a mod. It needed to be able to include .php files with parameters in a secure fashion. I guess this is what I have managed to do so far. Please take a look on the code and test it. I am greatful for your feedback.
If you want to see it in action, go here: http://www.kohl-net.de. The version I use is slightly modified, since I had to make it more secure than the version I have released. The code is secure, however nothing that I am planning to release at the moment.

Abstract: Add content to your site by using categories, forums, topics and posts. Categories are show as a horizontal main menu at the top, forums and topics make up the menu on the left. Posts attached to topics will appear when the corresponding topic in the left menu is clicked. For a good example go to http://www.kohl-net.de/index.php?cat=2. My other categories do not have a lot of attached forums to them, yet.

Regards,

Ingmar [cms(at)kohl-net.de]

VIEW AND DOWNLOAD HERE

WARNINGS:
1. This mod is still in a very early state. I am only releasing it to have other developers parttake in its creation.
2. I am suggesting you use this mod ONLY on offline boards for testing purposes. I have not yet had the time to do a security check of the code.
3. Use at your own risk.

DISCLAIMER: This code contains just what the description above says. However, I am NOT liable and cannot be held responsible for any damages resulting from using this code. If you use anything from this package, you will be treated as if you had read all of this file.

NOTE: This mod was tested on a newly set up phpBB 2.0.4 board with no other mods installed.

sold_out

Post by sold_out »

PS: I know this is the BETA forum. Since I am not a professional programmer, I don't know if this is a beta version. Could be alpha for all I know. The base functionality is finished, however. [Or at least it does what I want it to do :wink: ]

I am in a state, though, where I need the community's assistance. :idea:

DanielT
Former Team Member

Post by DanielT »

wow!

this is better than any of the portals out there..

thank you for taking the time to make this,

:wink:

cwcollector

Looking.

Post by cwcollector »

Very nice-this is what I have been looking for.

Chuck

kaisuny

Re: [BETA] Use phpBB as a CMS

Post by kaisuny »

sold_out wrote: Hi,
in lack of a good content management system (CMS) or portal system based around phpBB2, I started getting frustrated. Also, I fear that the official phpBB Portal currently under development will be more like nuke than I will like. In my opinion, Nuke and PostNuke are great portal systems, but not every site can be a portal! I wanted a nice CMS for my site that let's me enter content whenever I want via a comfortable phpBB2-like GUI..

There are so many phpBB users share your thought like me. I love it and look forward for its formal release. I appreciate the news on index page. Unlike otheres , it is intuitive. Users need not click + /- to browse the page integrated with images and text. Unlike Phpnuke/nuke, it has more concise/slim look so that it's less exhaustive to mangage content for administrators. Users need not browse in the ocean of three columns cramped with confusing data blocks.

But I hope poll result / request can be show on the index page, which help people to vote on PhpBB plaform.

Keep it up. We are supporting u.

sold_out

Post by sold_out »

Thank you folks,

I would really like some comments on the security of the code, since I am just a hobby programmer. As you can see on my site, I was hacked recently, since I modded my old 2.0.0 board and didn't upgrade. So I want to be sure of the security of the code I added. Second, I want to make it as simple as possible to add to an existing board when a new upgrade is out.

So security is a major issue and next on my to-do list. After that, I want to write a system to add blocks like in (Post)Nuke. These blocks will be:

- Polls
- Last 10 posts
- User CP
- Special Reviews (for books, news, whatever)
- Members online
- ...(and many more)

You will be able to choose which blocks to install and where to position them.

When that is done, features that came to mind or were requested will be reviewd and implemented (e.g. rate topics, a counter for each page, ...).

But first of all, I need input on security.

Can't wait myself :mrgreen:

IK

kaisuny

Post by kaisuny »

sold_out wrote: Thank you folks,

IK

According to the phpBB2 announcement , the security leakhole mainly came from the old version of phpBB2, when more users adopted the 2.04 version, hack problems may be minimized . :roll: at least I hope so.

Dalgar

Post by Dalgar »

I had an idea when i read that last post 8)

You should integrate your CMS with the Cerulean Portal System. Parry60 has a nice module system already in place. He also has a really good looking News Center. Combine that with your excellent idea for a content management system and you could really have something there :mrgreen:

My only comment on your CMS is that it takes quite a few clicks to get places. Otherwise I love it :D
The Early Bird May Get The Worm But The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese.

sold_out

Post by sold_out »

Dalgar wrote: My only comment on your CMS is that it takes quite a few clicks to get places. Otherwise I love it :D

Please explain. You can get to any page in three clicks or less! Worst case: click on main menu (= categories) -> click on left menu point (= topics) -> click on expanded left menu (= posts).

Other pages you can reach with one or two clicks. How would you reduce the number of clicks?

sold_out

Post by sold_out »

kaisuny wrote:
sold_out wrote:Thank you folks,

IK

According to the phpBB2 announcement , the security leakhole mainly came from the old version of phpBB2, when more users adopted the 2.04 version, hack problems may be minimized . :roll: at least I hope so.

I meant security issues on the code I wrote. Sorry for not making it clear. :oops:

sold_out

New update

Post by sold_out »

Hi folks,

I have made fair progress on the CMS. The most prominent new feature is a dynamic block system, that allows you to easily install and place nuke-like blocks to your site via a comfortable admin panel.

I have to write up the new changes, though, before I can release version 0.2.0. For a preview, details, screenshots, etc. please visit: http://www.kohl-net.de/index.php?cat=9

sold_out

Post by sold_out »

OK,

second BETA released.
See it, test it & download it here: http://www.kohl-net.de/index.php?cat=9

new features:
  • - nuke-like block system
    - security issues resolved
    - CMS pages check security like forums
    - nice collection of 5 blocks and growing
Please give me some feedback, as I am planning on finalizing (and releasing :P ) this project within the next two weeks!

Dalgar

Post by Dalgar »

Looking good 8)
The Early Bird May Get The Worm But The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese.

JH

Post by JH »

looks quite nice... but there are a far bit of modifying to do... why haven't you made a patch file to do this for you on the 2.0.4 release instead of doing it manualy ?

there are also programs out there to do patches on windows, i think the name is winpatch or something like that, and it is always alot mor smooth for ppl just to apply a patch

if you don't wanna make a patch you should make a release version where it is included in

and i wouldn't call it nuke style blocks just eyt... but you are on your way towart it

albertz

Post by albertz »

I have trid to install this MOD... unsuccessfuly, however.

When I attampt to add a new Portal Category in the Admin after install I get the following error message:
Couldn't insert row in categories table

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax near ' 30)'
at line 1

INSERT INTO phpbb_categories
(cat_title, cat_type, cat_order) VALUES ('hghfgh', , 30)

Line : 509
File : /data/members/free/tripod/uk/t/a/r/tartanfootball
/htdocs/phpBB2/admin/admin_forums.php

I'm not sure what's wrong... Im not really knowledgable about PHP etc. SO if anyone thinks this is a MOD for expert users please tell me to give in!!

Cheers

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”