[BETA] multiple choice voting in polls

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
vilaras

Post by vilaras » Sat Feb 22, 2003 4:53 am

The [BETA] title is back, thanks to Wizzy403's correction.

Typically a potential security issue has been corrected, so the version number has changed quite a lot. Personnally I don't see the reason to harry up to update if previous version functions properly!
see relevant post for details

Current version:

Multivote_Mod v.1.4.2 is compatible with phpBB v.2.0.20
It is supposed to be compatible with previous versions since phpbb_v.2.0.5 up to phpBB_v.2.0.20.

You can verify the latest version number in the signature area, at the end of this post.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download:

multivote_mod_v_1_4_2.zip
(for phpBB.v.2.0.5 up to phpBB.v.2.0.20)

multivote_mod_v_1_3_1.zip
(for phpBB.v.2.0.4)

For more details, have a look at:
multivote_mod home page
backup address

If the links above are broken, check for another link at the signature area, just at the end of this message.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8O Multivote_Mod is not compatible with Admin_Voting_Mod 8O
(for details, see message http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... 478#507478 on the second page)

If you have already installed them both then you'll find a fix made by "Spin" at the following post http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... 798#507798 (it doesn't help with recording multivote votes but it minimizes the troubles caused by the presence of both mods on the same board

## MOD Description:
##
## Multiple choice voting in phpBB polls:
## - It's up to the user to define the number of the allowed selections.
## - Usage of 'checkboxes' instead of 'radio buttons' (when needed).
## - Users-voters are automatically notified of the max allowed choices.
## - Can set poll expiration within hours.
## - Time left to poll expiration appears when viewing poll results page.
## - Choose whether to hide results and total number of votes till poll expires or not.
## ATTENTION: Addition of 4 db table fields (columns) is required
##
##

This mod is functional and available due to the efforts of the following people:
talia679
spin
ashtor
wizzy403
Seleleth
Pachat

Translations:
- Dutch by Jake de Vere
- Finnish by Jaana Hietala
- French by Henry Cesbron Lavau
- German by ashtor
- Russian by Boris Tyukin
- Greek

I only started the mod - they gave it life!
Thanks to all of them,
Theodoros Vilaras
Last edited by vilaras on Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:45 pm, edited 115 times in total.

Current Multivote_Mod version number: 1.4.2
You can find the latest Beta version at ... Multivote_Mod's Homepage

vilaras

Re: [BETA] multiple voting in polls v0.0.3

Post by vilaras » Sat Feb 22, 2003 4:42 pm

AbelaJohnB wrote: ... WE DO NOT ALLOWED PRE-EDITED phpBB CORE-CODE FILES TO BE DISTRUBTED WITHIN MODS - AbelaJohnB

You are right, I didn't add any new files. I just altered some parts of the initial core-code files.
I do not consider these code alteratations as a real Mod.

I think the modifications of the initial code are very few and they could be easily apllied to the initial files by you (the phpBB creators) so that we have a new option included in the next edition of phpBB.

If you are not entitled to accept such a request, please tell whom I should address the request to.

Thank you

talia679

Post by talia679 » Sat Feb 22, 2003 5:41 pm

Just wanted to say this is a mod a lot of members have been searching for and I'm happy to see that someone is working on it ... whether it's approved or not!!
Thanks, Talia
Tag You're It Writing Community || TYI Forums
Taleria - Talia's Gallery of 2000+ Links & 140+ Books
GameCrafters Guild – Gaming info and resources

vilaras

Post by vilaras » Sat Feb 22, 2003 5:55 pm

talia679 wrote: Just wanted to say this is a mod a lot of members have been searching for and I'm happy to see that someone is working on it ... whether it's approved or not!!

I don't think I can do anything more. I don't know how to create files that will automatically create the needed field in the database. It seems it will remain in beta for ever.

If you can add the table manually then you can use the mod.

I am already using it.

senghong79

Post by senghong79 » Sat Feb 22, 2003 6:42 pm

I don't know how to create files that will automatically create the needed field in the database.

Maybe ask for help in the authors forum. Many have authors have done it and it's only a matter of modifying some parts of the file, with their permission, of course.

vilaras

Post by vilaras » Sat Feb 22, 2003 10:49 pm

senghong79 wrote:
I don't know how to create files that will automatically create the needed field in the database.

Maybe ask for help in the authors forum. Many have authors have done it and it's only a matter of modifying some parts of the file, with their permission, of course.

Thank you for the suggestion. I've found such files. I still didn't ask for the author's permission since I'm not sure whether I can understand what is included in these files. Most probably it will be very hard for me to comprehend the structure, the relationships and the use of all that data. It seems that I will leave such a task for some other time. For the time being I am thinking to submit the Mod in its current form. Anyway, thank you!

talia679

Post by talia679 » Sun Feb 23, 2003 12:42 pm

If you want to get some more help maybe you can talk to the modders over at FullyModded, they're very helpful and MJ creates scripts to edit the DB all the time:

http://phpbbfm.com/phpBBFM/viewforum.php?f=19

This is the Mod Development Forum over at FullyModded. Then if you create the mod there it's almost sure to be included in a FullyModded release.

Just an idea.
Thanks, Talia

vilaras

Post by vilaras » Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:53 pm

talia679 wrote: If you want to get some more help maybe you can talk to the modders over at FullyModded, they're very helpful and MJ creates scripts to edit the DB all the time:

http://phpbbfm.com/phpBBFM/viewforum.php?f=19

This is the Mod Development Forum over at FullyModded. Then if you create the mod there it's almost sure to be included in a FullyModded release.

Just an idea.

Thanks a lot again. I'll visit them most probably this week, but for the time being, I prepared two editions today. The first edition is the one you can see on the top of page (v.0.1.2) and the other is exactly the same, except that the second one includes the files that will automate the creation of the database field. I am waiting for the authorisation of the author of those files. If I get it, I' ll submit the version with the files, otherwise, I will submit the simple version. In the following days I 'll pay a visit to the other site you named as well.
I believe the Mod is ready to through away the title "Beta".

I tested it with Easy_Mod and the Installation didn't last more than a second on my local test forum (on my computer)!

Thanks again for the support!

vilaras

Submitted

Post by vilaras » Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:11 pm

Submitted

The Mod was submitted for validation.

According to the needs of the validation proccess the last version number (which should be 0.1.3) was changed into 1.0.0

If there is something wrong with the public announcement of version number please let me know.

Deriel

Post by Deriel » Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:15 pm

Can I integrate this Mod with Admin Voting Mod ? How?

talia679

Post by talia679 » Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:16 pm

vilaras ... just thought you'd like to know that MJ has installed your mod on FullyModded, so I assume he's included the DB changes into his install script.

Can't wait for the next FullyModded Release so I can try out your mod!!

Thanks again for working on it, it's been long awaited!
Thanks, Talia

vilaras

Post by vilaras » Mon Feb 24, 2003 2:37 pm

talia679 :
MJ has installed your mod on FullyModded

I hope he took the version with the aotomatic selection (of 'radio buttons' and 'checkboxes'). The previous versions were somewhat ridiculous in case of accepting only one answer and having 'checkboxes' instead of 'radio buttons'!
(at least me personally I prefer the automatic one)
Thanks again for your support! :D

Deriel :
Can I integrate this Mod with Admin Voting Mod ? How?

EDITED: :? No, you cannot. Sorry. If you install both mods you won't be able to record what each user votes. If you do install both mods, you won't face any operational problems, but you 'll be missing one of the Admin_Voting_Mod's capabilities (that of presenting votes in detail).

You 'll have to choose, either the one or the other. If you have already installed them both, spying should be still operational for the single answer polls, but not for the multiple ones (only the last answer might be recorded. In such a case, if you are pleased with the current situation you might not want to upgrade MultiVote_Mod (v 1.0.0) in the future.
The next version of MultiVote_Mod is almost ready and totally incompatible with Admin Voting Mod.

Do you need more details? Here they are: ErDrRon adds a new field to the database table which concerns the voters, while I add a field to the database table that concerns the votes. Our Mods do not interfere one with the other on a database level. But, ...in order to make Multiple Choice Voting possible, I have to alter critical parts of the php code.
Last edited by vilaras on Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

talia679

Post by talia679 » Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:41 pm

He used the one you released yesterday.
Thanks, Talia

vilaras

Post by vilaras » Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:14 pm

talia679 wrote: He used the one you released yesterday.
I 've visited the forum it was a pleasant surprise to see it on another forum, (especially with the green funny face that stood by the test :mrgreen: )
I needed this Mod in order to carry out the electronic elections of a proffessional association. I 've been waiting for it since last November. So, since the elections are getting closer I decided to try to do it myself. I 'm glad that it works without any trouble. I didn't have any feedback up to now, but since it works on another forum as well I think it's OK.
Once more, thank you very much for the support! :) :) :)

vilaras

v.1.1.0

Post by vilaras » Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:11 pm

New version: v.1.1.0
v.1.1.0 ( 2003-2-28 ): (submitted for validation)
count not only the votes but the voters as well! (in multiple choice polls)

link for the new version in the 1st post

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”