[DEV] mxBB Portal (v. 2.7.6-pl1) News & Announcements

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
cabaz777

Post by cabaz777 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:28 pm

thanks for the portal, but pls help me out to install it pls.

i installed a new phpbb with no themes or mods (2.0.13). then uploaded mxbb 2.0.75 pl3 and tried to install it but it stops at the install screen when it says it will update the database, nothing happens and it shows a blank page.

i checked with phpmyadmin, and all is ok, but no new table added or whatever,
evan the db info is ok in config.php

any idea?

ps:haplo: i finally been able to download from your site, pls dont email it, thx anyway

markus_petrux
Former Team Member

Post by markus_petrux » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:43 pm

mxBB-Portal version 2.7.5-pl4 (patch level 4) released!

Only the mxBB Installer has been updated. This is to avoid installation problems found on some webservers. Actually, it seems some hosting providers (such as Lycos and maybe others) have disabled the PHP function realpath() which is need by our installer to guess the phpBB installation settings.

This new release does not affect current installations. It is just to prevent similar installation problems from happening in the future. ;-)

Further information on the installer issue can be found here:
http://www.mx-system.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6492

Regards,

The mxBB Project Team
EasyMOD Standards | MOD Template Actions | MODs in Development Rules
Useful information for MOD Authors | MOD Queue Stats | Search MODs
Write SQL/DDL portable to all SQL servers supported by phpBB!
Get EasyMOD 0.3.0! | Suport al phpBB en Català!
8)

markus_petrux
Former Team Member

Post by markus_petrux » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:31 pm

cabaz777:

There are know problems with some server configurations. ie. the portal does not work correctly under PHP5 or if a PHP cache engine (such as Turck mmCache) is enabled, etc.

Please, fill in all possible information from the support template you'll find here:
http://www.mx-system.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5989

...or see if anything here helps:
http://www.mx-system.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6445
8)

markus_petrux
Former Team Member

Post by markus_petrux » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:19 pm

mxBB-Portal version 2.7.6 released!
- the "in between milestones" edition

Hi everyone,

The mxBB Development Team is proud to announce the immediate release of mxBB-Portal version 2.7.6, the "in between milestones" edition. :-)

This is a Critical Update that in addition to several bug fixes includes a couple of security related fixes and some improvements based on back ported code from our incoming next major release.

All Users of mxBB-Portal are strongly encouraged to upgrade to this release as soon as possible.

mxBB-Portal 2.7.6 is already available from our main website:

http://www.mx-system.com/index.php?page ... &file_id=2

mxBB-Portal 2.7.6 Release Notes can be found here:

http://www.mx-system.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1224

Upgrade instructions from 2.7.5-pl4 to 2.7.6 has been posted here:

http://www.mx-system.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6576

Summary of changes introduced with 2.7.6:

Security Fixes:
  • SQL Injection affecting mx_poll.php has been fixed. In addition this script has been fully re-written based on code from latest phpBB version.
  • Included a .htaccess file in the cache folder to prevent others from reading cached data.
  • Added mxBB version number in ACP page footer (thanks to MHobbit for pointing this out) as well as to add a condition to ensure version numbers are only visible to logged in admins, which has been introduced in phpBB 2.0.14.
  • The scripts includes/page_header.php, includes/page_tail.php, admin/page_header_admin.php, admin/page_footer_admin.php and admin/pagestart.php have been fully revised to match the corresponding scripts in phpBB. This not only introduces security fixes but also may fix strange errors that happen from time to time on some systems such as weird blank pages, etc.
Bug Fixes:
  • Fixed new mx_request_vars class, MX_TYPE_NO_SQL has been replaced with MX_TYPE_SQL_QUOTED and condition of execution fixed.
  • Fixed bug building URLs to user profiles in mx_online.php.
  • Renamed $starttime as $mx_starttime to avoid problems with other scripts overriding its value.
  • First attempt to fix PHP sessions management. A new function mx_session_start() has been introduced. Hopefully this will help minimize misterious problem that happends from time to time causing weird blank pages and the like.
  • Fixed some issues with our Cache generation functions.
  • Fixed function mx_get_groups() to correctly deal with systems where no usergroups are defined.
Functionality added or changed:
  • New version of the mxBB Installer. A couple of minor bugs have been fixed and the postgres7.php script has been updated as per changes to fix the SQL parser introduced in phpBB 2.0.14 ;-).
    Additionally, our main installer script is now officially named as the "mxBB Installation Wizard", which is much nicer ;-)
  • Added basic support for Categories Hierarchy 2.1.0, meaning the portal itself works. However, almost all blocks depending on forums and topics information such as our Forum Index, LastMsgPost, Poll, Announcements blocks are broken due to the particular DB structure used by CH210 to organize forum data. Anyway, it is good to see mxBB Portal itself works under CH210, which is much more than what we had ;-)
  • Optimized versions of mx_smilies_pass, mx_generate_smilies and mx_decode has been introduced. This back ported code from 2.8
  • Removed all duplicated phpBB template related files from our distribution. This helps keep things organized and also avoids duplicated efforts to apply MODs twice, and also simplifies the task to create themes for mxBB.
  • Added [delete] function to the ACP Objects Integrity Check.
  • Changed ACP phpInfo utility, it now uses same technique than the phpInfo panel already present in the mxBB Installation Wizard.
  • Back ported new functions for compatibility with incoming modules.
Enjoy! ;)

The mxBB Project Team
8)

Onga

uninstalling mx portal

Post by Onga » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:24 am

i'm uninstalling the mx portal because it doesn't really match your phpbb style maybe 30-50% only unless you do some major codework

it's not worth it to me if i can't have the same style as my phpbb style

only alittle won't do does anyone no another portal that will work well with phpbb styles ?

i'll wait until mx portal is more compatiable with phpbb

MHobbit
Former Team Member

Re: uninstalling mx portal

Post by MHobbit » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:12 pm

Onga wrote: i'm uninstalling the mx portal because it doesn't really match your phpbb style maybe 30-50% only unless you do some major codework

it's not worth it to me if i can't have the same style as my phpbb style

only alittle won't do does anyone no another portal that will work well with phpbb styles ?

i'll wait until mx portal is more compatiable with phpbb

http://www.mx-system.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4741 :?

If you have anything to say, why don't post it at the main mxBB site? We value feedback as long as it's not majorly negative (as in demeaning everyone there).

Feel free to come up with a style on your own if you wish.
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."

Onga

Post by Onga » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:00 pm

by all means lets not offend anyone only good good great great positive happy happy news lets not keep everyone in the dark about what works what doesn't keep everyone fat and happy that's the way to go

lets all tip toe lightly so we don't squash any blades of grass

sure i'll keep it happy (real) always :)

MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:46 pm

Onga wrote: by all means lets not offend anyone only good good great great positive happy happy news lets not keep everyone in the dark about what works what doesn't keep everyone fat and happy that's the way to go

lets all tip toe lightly so we don't squash any blades of grass

sure i'll keep it happy (real) always :)

That's not what I said/mean. We're not looking for feedback that's posted like "omg mxbb r teh suckeh" or "this stupid thing doesn't even friggin work, im leaving morons"; not to mention what you posted in your locked thread (BTW, I replied to it). Feedback, positive or negative, should be posted with a good tone, and if you paid attention. Posts with a good tone tend to be more constructive than anything.

Oh, and you may as well reveal yourself as being warmac at the mxBB site. Posting in this thread with that sarcasm isn't really constructive. It's pretty pointless and stupid to post about you uninstalling mxBB in this thread.

niekas

Post by niekas » Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:21 pm

MennoniteHobbit wrote: That's not what I said/mean. We're not looking for feedback that's posted like "omg mxbb r teh suckeh" or "this stupid thing doesn't even friggin work, im leaving morons"; not to mention what you posted in your locked thread (BTW, I replied to it). Feedback, positive or negative, should be posted with a good tone, and if you paid attention. Posts with a good tone tend to be more constructive than anything.

Oh, and you may as well reveal yourself as being warmac at the mxBB site. Posting in this thread with that sarcasm isn't really constructive. It's pretty pointless and stupid to post about you uninstalling mxBB in this thread.

I agree with you. Flaming doesn't help anyone

My two cents on mxBB: It generates insane amount of DB queries and performance is sluggish even with a few modules.

on http://www.mx-system.com/ project site:

Code: Select all

Page generated 35 queries - Generation time: 0.66 seconds
generation time varies from 0.5 to 1.0 seconds

There should be a better way of getting and manipulating data from database.

functions like block_auth() get_info() inside the loops should be replaced by uniform phpbb like system where related info is queried from database and put into array before the loop.

MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit » Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:14 pm

niekas wrote: I agree with you. Flaming doesn't help anyone

My two cents on mxBB: It generates insane amount of DB queries and performance is sluggish even with a few modules.

on http://www.mx-system.com/ project site:

Code: Select all

Page generated 35 queries - Generation time: 0.66 seconds
generation time varies from 0.5 to 1.0 seconds

There should be a better way of getting and manipulating data from database.

functions like block_auth() get_info() inside the loops should be replaced by uniform phpbb like system where related info is queried from database and put into array before the loop.

Ah, thanks for the info.

Our cache system is currently being rewritten; it's not in the CVS yet, as Haplo's still working on it. I'm not sure if rewriting the block_auth() and get_info() functions are being rewritten.

Peter77s

Post by Peter77s » Sun May 01, 2005 7:24 am

So one 1 mesily little second is too much to wait now these days? hmm ... this mod is Great IMO. I had no idea it was listed in the Beta thread. its probably the best portal I have had. I skimmed through and I read something about it not matching phpbb style??? lol wow, that is not the case with me and alot of mxbb sites... my site is looking 100% better and more attractive then what it was before mxbb. plus their support is fast and they are easy people to get along with!

Great MOD! I for one am keeping it and looking forward to future upgrades 8)

Onga

Post by Onga » Sun May 01, 2005 7:38 am

[quote="Peter77s"]So one [b]1[/b] mesily little second is too much to wait now these days? hmm ... this mod is[b] Great[/b] IMO. I had no idea it was listed in the Beta thread. its probably the best portal I have had. I skimmed through and I read something about it not matching phpbb style??? lol wow, that is not the case with me and alot of mxbb sites... my site is looking 100% better and more attractive then what it was before mxbb. plus their support is fast and they are easy people to get along with!

Great MOD! I for one am keeping it and looking forward to future upgrades 8)[/quote]

nice marketing post did they pay you ? lol well written post script too, by the way what style were you using that made it a 100% match with portal ?

yea mod yippee 8O

niekas

Post by niekas » Sun May 01, 2005 7:54 am

Peter77s wrote: So one 1 mesily little second is too much to wait now these days? hmm ... this mod is Great IMO. I had no idea it was listed in the Beta thread. its probably the best portal I have had. I skimmed through and I read something about it not matching phpbb style??? lol wow, that is not the case with me and alot of mxbb sites... my site is looking 100% better and more attractive then what it was before mxbb. plus their support is fast and they are easy people to get along with!

Great MOD! I for one am keeping it and looking forward to future upgrades 8)

Your rant is has nothing to do with raised issue (db queries) . You have no idea what are you talking about and instead of addressing the problem you decided to ridicule the messenger.

One second is a huge amount of time to process such small portal page.

If you add extra modules it's not uncommon for mx system to have 60 and up queries per page. Page generation time goes up to 2-3 seconds.

look at their downloads page - 44 queries.
http://www.mx-system.com/index.php?page=4

It might look good, but it doesn't run good. Analogy - you can have best looking car (ferrari lookalike), but it means nothing if it has Yugo engine.

Peter77s

Post by Peter77s » Sun May 01, 2005 9:54 am

@Onga I give props to all MOD's that work for me after a successful install. :roll:

@niekas I apologize. goodluck :)

MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit » Sun May 01, 2005 2:51 pm

@Onga: Stop trolling; your sarcasm isn't wanted here. None of us sent Peter77s to post here. He did it of his own free will. Instead of hiding in this thread and trolling, how about posting more of your feedback at the main mxBB site; you even said you wanted to "start over".

@niekas: Haplo hasn't committed the changes to the cache system yet (he's still working on it), so naturally we haven't updated our main site with the latest CVS (AFAIK). I'll also pass on your advice regarding the block_auth() and get_info() functions to the rest of the team.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”