[ALPHA] MultiMail - Community Newsletter MOD

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Dean wrote:

Code: Select all

<?
mail("dean@somepeople.net", "My Subject", "This is <b>HTML</b>", "Content-Type: text/html\r\n");
?>

Thanks. I'll see if I can get the same thing working with my perl script.

Dave
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Okay, for what it's worth, I got my problem solved. I thought I would post the answer since I asked the question. ;-) Again, I'm doing this in perl, but it might help for someone else trying to do something similar. Here are the headers that I set up to send:

Code: Select all

open (MAIL, "|$mailprog -t") || die("Can't access $mailprog!\n");
        print (MAIL "To: $user_email\n");
        print (MAIL "FROM: $source_email\n");
        print (MAIL "Mime-Version:  1.0\n");
        print (MAIL "Content-Type:  text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1\n");
        print (MAIL "Content-Transfer-Encoding:  7bit\n");
        print (MAIL "Subject: Daily Digest for $archive_date\n");
        print (MAIL "$email_header\n");
        print (MAIL "$email_body\n");
        print (MAIL "$email_footer\n");
        print (MAIL ".\n");
        close (MAIL);
The options seemed to be required to be in exactly this order, or it didn't work. Again, I realize that this is perl code and not php, but the info about the headers might be useful.

I found more info about sending multi-part emails as well, but I'm setting up a database field where users will specify whether they want HTML or TEXT email, so I will send either one format or the other, not both.

Thanks for the responses. Good luck on your development.

Dave
emv

Post by emv »

Dean wrote: How strange, I thought I was watching this topic, but I got no emails. Typical lol.

Progress: Hit a stumbling block with the stats plugins, so re-writing the code (I was building them on a 'user-by-user' basis, but I dont think this is going to work. Its hugely server intensive, so these stats are going to have to be more generic)

Few more days for alpha.

Again, thanks for taking your time to work on this...
Drummer4Life05

Post by Drummer4Life05 »

What's the status on this one?
Maison Meltcalfe

Post by Maison Meltcalfe »

Dean wrote: Few more days for alpha.

:D
=o
Drummer4Life05

Post by Drummer4Life05 »

My bad, thanks! :-)
tuck

Post by tuck »

I want this too :D
khisanthax

Post by khisanthax »

I think it offers a lot of versatility, which is what makes it so valuable
GeForc3

Post by GeForc3 »

is it also posible that it sends a mail every vryday or so with the newest posts and newest members just some usefull forum information.

i want this mod very much if it's finished :D

[url] founder of GDesigns + [url] GDesigns Forum
[url] Admin of Terminal Designs
khisanthax

Post by khisanthax »

the timing part may be possible, it depends on how he builds the templates. it might be a nice addon to email at a specified time interval, now to email all that, I don't know what that would take. but haveyou looked at the moderator post notification mod? go to the authors website and read about it, that might be what you want it to do.
Dean

Post by Dean »

If I do end up making a cron-enabled version for general news, it definitely low on my to-do list, sorry.
dkklein

Post by dkklein »

Dean wrote: If I do end up making a cron-enabled version for general news, it definitely low on my to-do list, sorry.

In my opinion it should be low on the list (if at all on the todo list). Afterall we don't want this to be a spammertool. It should be used wisely.

I know I would be ...... if I got this kind of mail every day - even if I opted in on the list. So I think sending the mails should only be possible to do manually.

Dean, keep up the good work.
Best regards Tommy
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

dkklein wrote: I know I would be ...... if I got this kind of mail every day - even if I opted in on the list. So I think sending the mails should only be possible to do manually.

If you make it an opt-in service, then folks should know what they are asking for. And making it extremely easy to opt-in /opt-out would go a long way towards making the service useful. In the original spec (way back on page 1) the default was going to be "opted out", which I agree with.

I've got a working "daily digest" going on my board, now that I have my html email problems ironed out. ;-) Users can subscribe / unsubscribe to any particular forum(s). They can request delivery on a five (M-F) or seven (every day of the week) schedule. And they can "suspend" their digest delivery without losing their settings. Finally, as a future feature, they can request a repeat of a digest for a particular date(s) in time.

And it's all run by cron, so I don't have to log in to the board every day to send the message. ;-) To be honest, for a broadcast newsletter, or anything on a regular schedule, it should be cron. But that's just my opinion. An administrator is going to get really tired of sending out regular mail messages that could be scheduled...

Dave
Dean

Post by Dean »

Yes, it will prob be cron if anything. maybe a winsched if really really required :(
khisanthax

Post by khisanthax »

first let's get the beta out then we'll quible on detailes, don't worry about the little stuff now, let's just got on with the main things

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”