[DEV] NewsSync (Usenet -> phpBB Sync)

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
wineknow

Post by wineknow »

Rudi1234 wrote: I have one question though: sometimes I want to delete one or more Usenet messages on the phpBB board. When I do, after the next synchronisation the Usenet message appears again. It seems there is no way (unless of course the Usenet message has expired) to delete a Usenet message from phpBB.

At the moment delete message is not supported. I would recommend that you disable the delete permission for now in phpbb for your synced forum.

I do plan to add this feature in a future version...
-k
Rudi1234

Post by Rudi1234 »

Hi,

I found a bug in the NewsSync mod (but perhaps this is either not the place, or someone else has reported it).

If the subject of an originial Usenet posting is longer than a certain number of characters, it gets truncated while it is imported in phpBB. No problem there.

When a reply follows, the reply subject does not compare with the original subject, thus a new topic is created in phpBB (with a trailing message saying the original message could not be found).

I have this situation on my board now:
Original message
Reply (in separate trhead)

Hope this helps. NewsSync is awesome!
wineknow

Post by wineknow »

nice catch.
the max length of the subject is fixed in phpbb -- which is ok.
I will make sure I only compare the first [n] characters for subject compare.
-k
Rudi1234 wrote: Hi,

I found a bug in the NewsSync mod (but perhaps this is either not the place, or someone else has reported it).

If the subject of an originial Usenet posting is longer than a certain number of characters, it gets truncated while it is imported in phpBB. No problem there.

When a reply follows, the reply subject does not compare with the original subject, thus a new topic is created in phpBB (with a trailing message saying the original message could not be found).

I have this situation on my board now:
Original message
Reply (in separate trhead)

Hope this helps. NewsSync is awesome!
wyldeone

Post by wyldeone »

I'd like to see some way of banning messages and deleting them.
----
Liquid Digital Online - Online Planet of Beatz
http://liquiddigitalonline.com
kaiwang

SPAM Free NNTP service

Post by kaiwang »

Can anyone recommend a NNTP service ( even a paid one ) that offers SPAM free news items?
wyldeone

Re: SPAM Free NNTP service

Post by wyldeone »

kaiwang wrote: Can anyone recommend a NNTP service ( even a paid one ) that offers SPAM free news items?

Check out DNews software it has antispamming features in it. I haven't used it yet but I think I'm going to look into it.

peace

wyldeone
----
wyldeone

Post by wyldeone »

Let me rephrase that. I have used it but not since they've added antispamming function in the software. I am currently evaluating the software I'll let ya know how it goes.
----
wyldeone

Post by wyldeone »

I installed dnews and am sucking in news through that and then have newssync looking at the server and, then got on dnews website and saw they had a rules list to get rid of spam and it got id of all my spam.... This works great.

peace

wyldeone
----
irubin

Error Message - Unfortunately, this message is unavailable

Post by irubin »

Hello,

First - thanks for the great work. I am still working on putting everything together and ran into a topic with the following error message:

Unfortunately, this message is unavailable.

Any idea why this appears?
wineknow

Re: Error Message - Unfortunately, this message is unavailab

Post by wineknow »

irubin wrote: Hello,

First - thanks for the great work. I am still working on putting everything together and ran into a topic with the following error message:

Unfortunately, this message is unavailable.

Any idea why this appears?

yes, unless the news server (nntp) is set to archive all messages (most do not unless their privately run: like microsoft.* on microsoft.com) they expire messages over time (usually 45 or 60 days). So if a topic has expired there are times when the replies are still around but newssync cannot find the original topic), therefore the message is unavailable.

This can also happen if a message has been deleted after it has been replied to...

-k
irubin

thanks for the info, ...

Post by irubin »

Thanks for the reply. Is there a way to automatically delete this topics, or not include them within the pool at the time of synch.?
wineknow

Re: thanks for the info, ...

Post by wineknow »

irubin wrote: Thanks for the reply. Is there a way to automatically delete this topics, or not include them within the pool at the time of synch.?

not currently but, I will look into it to see how hard it would be to implement...

-k
irubin

real problem

Post by irubin »

this is a real problem as almost every topic is effected. Any pointers on how to resolve the issue.

Take a look http://www.exceltip.com/newsgroup/index.php

Thanks again for all your assistance.

Roy
LongSteve

Post by LongSteve »

qnx wrote:

it seems the SubjectCompare is not working in 1.0.4 and it worked fine in 1.0.3. Now we get lots of those "Unfortunately, this message is unavailable." posts and the number of "Posts" in the phpbb2 Index page doesn't match the number of articles on the news server after the initial import. I guess it is caused by those "Unfortunately, this message is unavailable." posts? If you look closely, it is available, just newssync created a new thread for that message. Can't we use the "compare subject" technique to eliminate those "Unfortunately, this message is unavailable." problems?

Just tried 1.0.3 and there is no such problem. looks like "compare subject" quit working in 1.0.4.

any updates on this issue?

wineknow wrote:

I still can't duplicate the problem --- it seems to be working fine for me.
try turning split-subject off to see if you get "better" results

btw: I am heading out of town in an hour for a week...

also, I have been able to increase the speed of large newsgroups message updates -- testing soon...

-k

I've been playing around with this a bit. If you post a new topic on the newsgroup, sync the group with your phpBB, reply on the news group, re-sync, etc everything is fine.

However, if you post a new topic and it gets a reply before newssync runs, the you get two topics on the BB. The first with the first post, the second topic contains a top message "Unfortunately, this message is unavailable" followed by the reply. The log gives something about an orphaned reply.

My guess is that the newsync code doesn't look through the list of messages it's processing to find the parent of the reply, so it thinks it's orphaned since it can't find the message in the BB. That's only a guess though, my knowledge of php is slim to none!

There's definitely a problem with all the "unavailable message" topics.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much,

Steve
wineknow

Post by wineknow »

there are a few issues with message unavailable.
I have re-written it and currently testing it before I release the next round of betas...look for an update shortly,.
-k

LongSteve wrote:
qnx wrote:

it seems the SubjectCompare is not working in 1.0.4 and it worked fine in 1.0.3. Now we get lots of those "Unfortunately, this message is unavailable." posts and the number of "Posts" in the phpbb2 Index page doesn't match the number of articles on the news server after the initial import. I guess it is caused by those "Unfortunately, this message is unavailable." posts? If you look closely, it is available, just newssync created a new thread for that message. Can't we use the "compare subject" technique to eliminate those "Unfortunately, this message is unavailable." problems?

Just tried 1.0.3 and there is no such problem. looks like "compare subject" quit working in 1.0.4.

any updates on this issue?

wineknow wrote:

I still can't duplicate the problem --- it seems to be working fine for me.
try turning split-subject off to see if you get "better" results

btw: I am heading out of town in an hour for a week...

also, I have been able to increase the speed of large newsgroups message updates -- testing soon...

-k

I've been playing around with this a bit. If you post a new topic on the newsgroup, sync the group with your phpBB, reply on the news group, re-sync, etc everything is fine.

However, if you post a new topic and it gets a reply before newssync runs, the you get two topics on the BB. The first with the first post, the second topic contains a top message "Unfortunately, this message is unavailable" followed by the reply. The log gives something about an orphaned reply.

My guess is that the newsync code doesn't look through the list of messages it's processing to find the parent of the reply, so it thinks it's orphaned since it can't find the message in the BB. That's only a guess though, my knowledge of php is slim to none!

There's definitely a problem with all the "unavailable message" topics.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much,

Steve

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”