Made sure I read the docs on this one as didnt want to end of spamming usenet etc
Really nice mod, excellent idea, seen it done with vbulletin before but not with phpBB.
Was gutted though as when it didnt work, thought it test connectivity by tellnetting to the newsgroup server, it failed instantly.
Turns out the ISP has a deny all policy outgoing and only allow a few things, probably just ftp/http maybe mysql etc. Will test this on another box as soon as I can.
Can you actually set a limit of how many posts are pulled down, or the last x days, or max size etc. etc. Not bothered about binaries would be text only ng's just thinking about database sizes for larger newsgroups
- thanks for the feedback.
- I have found that it is a problem with many ISP's they really limit how (and if) you can access their news server
- If you are brave and have a spare old computer with a big hard disk, you can setup your own NNTP server, where you can define your own rules on who and how you can connect to it...that said, I have never done it...
- I too wanted to be very careful NOT to spam any newsgroups (even .test ones)
- there are many flags and switches including the ability to limit the message size -- regardless of content type
- I try to weed out as much binary "goo" as possible, but I am still looking for a more solid way. Some binary stuff still gets in...
- Messages are expired at the same time the NNTP server expires them, so unless you change the file size limiter you won't get a massive database...