[submitted] Categories hierarchy v 1.1.0

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Ptirhiik

[submitted] Categories hierarchy v 1.1.0

Post by Ptirhiik »

This mod allows you to set a hierarchy of categories, very close to sub-forums (sub-cats in fact ;)).

This MOD has been released, and can now be found at:
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=103297

Changelog :
  • v 1.1.0
    - fix a display issue in admin/admin_ug_auth.php
  • v 1.0.9 :
    - add the cat folder locked pic,
    - add the catRupt desc in the headers for those who don't use the CSS,
    - fix a class missing in admin panel,
    - indentation of forums and cats on flat views (ACP and vBulletin),
    - indentated tree of forums and cats in jump boxes,
    - re-add the links missing to the current page in the nav sentence,
    - add the nav sentence on the split topic mod screen,
    - nav separator ( -> ) is now customizable,
    - the mark all read is now contextuel (mark forums and sub-cats of a cat),
    - you can now choose to prune categories rather than a forum in the ACP
  • v 1.0.8 :
    - fix a move order issue on the forum management,
  • v 1.0.7 :
    - enhance the Admin. Panel Config for the forums management,
    - automatic check and fix sub-categories tree in case of recursive attachment,
    - more friendly user and admin auth display (sort by cat/forum),
    - add category name and sort in the pull-down lists of forums,
    - add the nav sentence above the modcp display list,
    - group part 3 with part 1 in the installation txt

v 1.0.6 :
    - fix in the enhanced_cat() func on in the global var sentence

v 1.0.5 :
    - minor modifications to the code,
    - add a category description for the subforums display,
    - how-to rewrite to stick the 2.0.4 version of phpBB

v 1.0.2 :
    - add the display choice to the general board config in admin panel

v 1.0.1 :
    - add the subforum view
Last edited by Ptirhiik on Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Carpe Diem

Post by Carpe Diem »

Wow sounds very nice.

What is the main difference between this mod and the sub category mod if I may ask? And what similarities are there as well? It's hard to know which ones would be more appropriate for every user..

:?

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik »

This one is :
- supported by myself, the author, and still alive suiting the needs of people,
- simpler in its principles,
- doesn't allow to create forums in forum but categories in category, and this is much more in the "line" of the actual version of phpBB, so drives less risks of conflict with other mods.

Both respond to the need of having hierarchy within the board, and/or packing the index.

FX

Post by FX »

Good job. If i have the time i continue the dev (Queries cache system on 2037) of my mod and send for you an add-on.

Carpe Diem

Post by Carpe Diem »

Ptirhiik - RPGnet-fr wrote: This one is :
- supported by myself, the author, and still alive suiting the needs of people,
- simpler in its principles,
- doesn't allow to create forums in forum but categories in category, and this is much more in the "line" of the actual version of phpBB, so drives less risks of conflict with other mods.

Both respond to the need of having hierarchy within the board, and/or packing the index.

I appreciate your respond. I guess the best way would be to install both mods one at a time and testrun them. Anyway, very great job, this should be one of the most needed mods out there.

:)

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik »

Any feedback ? By my side, I didn't found any bug, and I use it on a living board.

conanqtran

Post by conanqtran »

whats the difference between your mod and the sub categories mod? i want to have sub forums but i don't know which mod to install :roll:

FX

Post by FX »

New features for your mods color the jumpbox.

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik »

conanqtran wrote: whats the difference between your mod and the sub categories mod? i want to have sub forums but i don't know which mod to install :roll:
Well first, no bugs reported at this time, and I assure support beeing the author, it's I think the major differences ;). BTW, this mod is the categories hierarchy one, I think you wanted to say the subforums one, present here as a beta.

Well, the categories hierarchy allow to create sub-categories, meaning attach a category to a higher level category. When done, it appears as a forum on the index, having inside other forums, if you choose the subforums view. It cans also be displayed as indentated category if you choose the vBulletin view. Basicly, this is much more natural in the v 2.0.x version of phpBB.

I also get an attentive eye on the mod which can be conflictual with mine, and make special version if so. At this time, only one has been reported as conflictual, the Last topic title on index, and here is the specific version for the hierarchy mod, with the agreement of Sven, the original author :).

RMS

Post by RMS »

Is it possible to structure it like vbulletin so that instead of only being able to have subforums under some category, you can for example have a category and within it is the direct forum, and then link/s to further subforums?
This is my signature.

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik »

> RMS : well, I'm not sure to have undestand your ask : have you tried to choose the flat view (vBulletin-like) on the demo board ? I assume it's the kind of display you are looking for ;).

conanqtran

Post by conanqtran »

Ptirhiik - RPGnet-fr, i have tried both mods, your mod and the other sub forums mod.

Personally, i like your mod better :wink: its easer to understand and setup, its faster too

I have about 40 mods in my forums, so the installation is a bit hard as i need to be carefull with the replace part, but its all working fine now :D

thanks for the great mod

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik »

conanqtran wrote: (../..)I have about 40 mods in my forums, so the installation is a bit hard as i need to be carefull with the replace part, but its all working fine now :D
Hi,

Glad to hear ;). I'm very interested in the mods name (a link to will be great :)) that were on same lines that the replaced one. In fact, I'm looking to track the potential difficulties regarding the installation of the mod, and to keep the abilitie to easely remove it (this means : ease the upgrade of the mod and/or the upgrade of phpBB ;)). Could you send me such a list ? Thanks in advance :).

Carpe Diem

Post by Carpe Diem »

Ptirhiik - RPGnet-fr wrote: At this time, only one has been reported as conflictual, the Last topic title on index, and here is the specific version for the hierarchy mod, with the agreement of Sven, the original author :).

Hmm.. so that means if you are using the last topic title mod then this mod would not work then??

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik »

Carpe Diem wrote:
Ptirhiik - RPGnet-fr wrote:At this time, only one has been reported as conflictual, the Last topic title on index, and here is the specific version for the hierarchy mod, with the agreement of Sven, the original author :).

Hmm.. so that means if you are using the last topic title mod then this mod would not work then??
No : it means with the apply of the original mod with the subforums display mode, the last topic title of a sub-cat won't be displayed, but on normal forums it should. So I've made a special version adapted to the categories hierarchy to have this topic title also displayed on subforums (and also with a true display, meaning the last topic of all the sub-category and its sub-sub-cats :)). If you have already the last topic title mod installed and you want to install also the categories hierarchy mod, you have to uninstall the last topic title mod (very easy), install the categories hierarchy, then install the special version of last topic title for categories hierarchy (also very easy ;)).

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”