MOD Description: Adds the ability to enter notes or comments on an individual post
MOD Version: N/A
MOD Download: N/A
Last Stable version: N/A
I recently installed a preliminary version of a MOD I am calling Post Notes on one of my boards. Simply put, post notes are an additional layer of information in the Board -> Forum -> Topic - > Post hierarchy. They provide a way for folks to comment on a specific post. This is NOT intended to be a threaded discussion; the ability to enter post notes is restricted to moderators or admins at this time. So what are post notes used for? Here are a few ideas that I am implementing right now:
- Post Edit History: In a standard phpBB2 board there is no record kept if a moderator edits another user's post. With this MOD every edit is recorded with a who edited and when edited. The "what was edited" option is under consideration. This is a system-generated note and is not editable.
- Moderator Actions: in a standard phpBB2 board there is no record of a split / move / lock / unlock operation by a moderator. In my initial implementation all moderator actions add a note to the first post of the topic. In the case of a move the note includes the "from" and the "to" forum. In a lock / unlock it simply states that the topic was locked or unlocked. I have implemented other moderator actions and in my case every action is logged. The syntax is very simple, so if you have added additional moderator actions you only have to include one extra line of code to log your custom moderator actions. This is a system-generated note and is not editable.
- Report-A-Post: There are other MODs available for phpBB2 that provide this function, but I wrote my own. I have used the Post Notes in conjunction with Report-A-Post to allow users to enter notes about why they are reporting a post, and then for moderator to respond to those notes explaining why they took the action that they did.
- Moderator / Admin comments: a mod or admin can manually enter notes. Here's a sample scenario: suppose that User A reports a post. Moderator B looks at it and thinks it's a borderline case, and posts a note on the post mentioning that. Moderator C reviews the report and the post notes and agrees with Moderator B, and suggests just closing the post without taking any action. Administrator D closes the report and adds a note that describes what action was taken and why. These manual notes are only visible to moderators or admins. At this time I don't envision allowing users to comment on other user's posts.
Any More phpBB2 MODs?
Designing Post Notes
Here are some screen shots with a few words of explanation:
The icons in the red box on the lower corner are, from left to right:
1. Spammer Hammer (not released)
2. Add Post Note
3. View Post Notes
4. Report A Post
The View Post Notes icon is only displayed if there are posts to view. If the post does not have any post notes at the time you view the topic, that icon is replaced with an invisible gif as a placeholder (so the other buttons don't shift positions).
Post notes are stored as text. At this time I don't support bbcode or smilies in post notes. You can put smilies in, but they will be displayed as text. The post notes are displayed in the same chronological order as the posts, so if you have opted to display posts in descending order the notes will be in the same order, otherwise posts and post notes will both be in ascending order.
So the big question is, would there be any interest in having me write this up and release it for phpBB2? I am clearly using it myself. My concern is, with the major shift from phpBB2 to phpBB3, is it worth my time (and yours) to write it up and go through the approval process?
Feedback on that question or any features as described here is welcome.