[BETA] Megamail 0.9.6 (was 'Split MassMail in Chunks 0.9.2')

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
R. U. Serious

Re: Major "Mega Mail" problem

Post by R. U. Serious »

chadi wrote: told by the email recipients

Really?
Or is it just that the board-email adress receives 6 copies of each massmail? Because the latter has to be that way, because you need a valid to-adress for every batch, so every batch has the board-adress in the to: field. However regular users should only receive 1 copy. Can you clarify/re-check?
chadi

Post by chadi »

I'm not sure what you mean but I know myself I even received the same copy about 6 or 7 times. It's pretty annoying!

PS - Is it possible to use full out html in these emails?
chadi

Post by chadi »

Is my address (administrator) the "board address"? If that's so then I guess it's just me.
R. U. Serious

Post by R. U. Serious »

The board-email ist set in the general configuration of your ACP.

If it is annoying feel free to not use it or change it how you see it appropiate. As I have explained multiple times in this thread, it is necessary to have a valid to-adress. And since the only point of this mod is to sent multiple batches of emails, it is kind of obvious that the valid-email-adress in the to-field will receive it multiple times.

html has been asked for multiple times in this thread, too. And I think I have given a pretty clear response to that, too. :)
Si

Post by Si »

Hi,

Just to say thanks for the mod, works brilliantly. I was originally getting the Error 234 on the standard mailer, appears that my host doesnt like multiple mails being sent at once.

Installed this mod, set it up to send 20 mails every 10 seconds (950 users) & it never failed (that I know of anyway :) )

Saved me a lot of hastle I can tell ya!

Cheers

Si
asinshesq
Name: Alan

Post by asinshesq »

Yup, works great...thanks.

But one question: Is there any way to integrate this with the mass email that gets sent to all users that have posted to a particular topic...if you have more than 100 users watching a given topic, you end up with the same problem...any way to get megamail to break those emails up too?
R. U. Serious

Post by R. U. Serious »

No, unfortunately that's a whole different mod. And since you can't expect users to wait and refresh a screen until the emails are sent, I am not sure if this is even the right way...
If you think it is, there's still a bit of programming, that sure can be done; however I don't think I'll have the time to.
numarc

Post by numarc »

Wow! It seams to be a great MOD! Thank you!

But I've got one short question... in my admin_mass_email.php I can't find this part:

Code: Select all

Find:

$email_headers .= "Bcc: $bcc_list\n"; 
I've got a 2.0.6 :wink:
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

R. U. Serious wrote: No, unfortunately that's a whole different mod. And since you can't expect users to wait and refresh a screen until the emails are sent, I am not sure if this is even the right way...
If you think it is, there's still a bit of programming, that sure can be done; however I don't think I'll have the time to.

I don't have a big enough board for this to matter (it would be unikely if there were ever more than 100 people who had posted in a given topic so that it is unlikely I would run into trouble on a post notification email), but for those people with bigger boards, why isn't this a real problem? Suppose you have a thread that more than 100 users have replied to...whenever someone posts in that thread an email is supposed to be sent to more than 100 people -- why doesn't that create the ISP problem that this mod fixes for mass emails?

Also, one question about the mod: does this mod also make it less likely that a mass email will be treated as spam (even for mass emails to less than 100 users), since the TO field gets filled in so that the email is no longer to an undisclosed recipient?
R. U. Serious

Post by R. U. Serious »

@numarc: Don't use the mod at the top of page 1. Use the mod that is linked to on the bottom of page 1.

asinshesq wrote: but for those people with bigger boards, why isn't this a real problem? Suppose you have a thread that more than 100 users have replied to...whenever someone posts in that thread an email is supposed to be sent to more than 100 people -- why doesn't that create the ISP problem that this mod fixes for mass emails?

It does create the problem. I never argued that. I only said, this mod (as it is) won't fix it. You could apply the method, however it won't be IMHO very userfriendly. If anybody wants to do it, though, go ahaed. But please in a different thread, since it is a different mod. :)
Also, one question about the mod: does this mod also make it less likely that a mass email will be treated as spam (even for mass emails to less than 100 users), since the TO field gets filled in so that the email is no longer to an undisclosed recipient?

The TO: Field is already being filled with a valid email adress by the default phpBB installation. No change in that.
bucky716

Post by bucky716 »

I don't see this anywhere in my admin_mass_email.php...

# 
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------ 
# 
      $email_headers .= "Bcc: $bcc_list\n"; 

# 
#-----[ REPLACE ]------------------------------------------ 
# 
      $email_headers .= "Bcc: $bcc_list[$i]\n"; 
The only things listed with $email_headers is...

$email_headers = 'X-AntiAbuse: Board servername - ' . $board_config['server_name'] . "\n";
		$email_headers .= 'X-AntiAbuse: User_id - ' . $userdata['user_id'] . "\n";
		$email_headers .= 'X-AntiAbuse: Username - ' . $userdata['username'] . "\n";
		$email_headers .= 'X-AntiAbuse: User IP - ' . decode_ip($user_ip) . "\n";
Any help?
R. U. Serious

Post by R. U. Serious »

Yes, don't use what is in the first post. As I clearly wrote:
This was discontinued and replaced with a more sophisticated mod, see below: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... 729#561729

discontinued, replaced with megamail 04. May 03
updated to 0.9.2 25. April 2003
updated to 0.9.1 24. April 2003

That first post hasn't been touched for about a year... ;)
bucky716

Post by bucky716 »

yea, but there's no install instructions in what you've just linked. what do i use to try and install this?
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

bucky716 wrote: yea, but there's no install instructions in what you've just linked. what do i use to try and install this?

There is no install instructions because there is nothing to do to any existing files. Just copy those folders right into your phpbb2 directory and you'll be done...doesn't get any easier than that!
bucky716

Post by bucky716 »

ohhhhhhhhh.... well then, that should be posted. that's just too easy! :)

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”