[ABD] Acronym Mod by CMX v0.9.5

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Haywood Jahelpme

Post by Haywood Jahelpme » Wed May 14, 2003 2:42 am

CodeMonkeyX wrote: Also I am considering making it so that posts are scanned very time they are viewed. Maybe I will make this an option. That was new acronyms will be found on old posts.

That would be sweet! This mod is excellent.... The only complaint I have is that my smilies are messed up, but I recall seeing something on this board about that... Will poke around...

Thanks again!

[edit] I should clarify that they are messed up because I defined acronyms lol and rofl, causing the

Code: Select all

:lol: and :rofl:
to be made into acronyms...[/edit]

Cruel Iceman

Post by Cruel Iceman » Wed May 14, 2003 8:33 am

you can pass this problem by putting only uppercase characters in your mod database. like LOL and ROFL but lol and rofl will not be recognized as an acronym. but this way your smilies are displayed correctly

fishfreek

Post by fishfreek » Wed May 14, 2003 2:00 pm

This mod will totally rock. On my site we are always using abreviations in our messages and sometimes the newbies to the site dont quite understand. I have a post that has many of the abreviations we use but it would be great to have the funcionality of this mod where people could just hover over the post and get the abreviation listed out.
Have you joined the PetAdvice Network?

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so ask me how to join our local Shenandoah Valley aquarium group.

Haravikk

Post by Haravikk » Wed May 14, 2003 3:42 pm

Is it at all possible that you use something other than the "title=" tag for displaying the message? What I'm going to try and do on my board is have the acronym become a clickable link which makes a small window with the acronym and description in it. Should work okay by putting a small javascript at the top of view_topic.tpl and having that create a small pop-up window with the relevant information.
I'll get back to you on my attempt, but it would be cool good if you could have it as an option in your mod, some browsers still don't support "title=", and some users don't realise that hovering the mouse shows the description

Other than that, really good work :)

jlin

Convert to links

Post by jlin » Thu May 15, 2003 8:25 pm

Hi,

Is it possible to automatically create hyperlinks for acronymns? for example, if you someone types "Microsoft", then the mod will automatically add hyperlinks to www.microsoft.com

CodeMonkeyX

Re: Convert to links

Post by CodeMonkeyX » Thu May 15, 2003 9:33 pm

jlin wrote: Hi,

Is it possible to automatically create hyperlinks for acronymns? for example, if you someone types "Microsoft", then the mod will automatically add hyperlinks to www.microsoft.com

It's possilbe, but that would probably been another mod.
CodeMonkeyX
codemonkeyx.net
"Codito Ergo Sum" - Descartes (kinda)

fishfreek

Post by fishfreek » Thu May 22, 2003 12:24 am

CodeMonkeyX,

I know back a few posts you said your finals where wrapping up soon and you hoped to complete some of your open projects. Any word on how this particular one is/will be comming along?

Also, I like the concept of scanning the message at the time of post for acronymns as this should put less load on the server but also see the benifit of being able to have acronymns marked in posts prior to its install. Do you think it would be to difficult have some kind of install script that one could run that would in essccence go back thru the old posts in the DB and update them to work with the acronymn mod.

This would put a one time load on the server while it was modfying the existing posts in the DB but would also keep the continual load light by modifying new posts at the time of the post vs at the time the post is viewed.

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so ask me how to join our local Shenandoah Valley aquarium group.

CodeMonkeyX

Post by CodeMonkeyX » Thu May 22, 2003 1:58 am

fishfreek wrote: CodeMonkeyX,

I know back a few posts you said your finals where wrapping up soon and you hoped to complete some of your open projects. Any word on how this particular one is/will be comming along?

Also, I like the concept of scanning the message at the time of post for acronymns as this should put less load on the server but also see the benifit of being able to have acronymns marked in posts prior to its install. Do you think it would be to difficult have some kind of install script that one could run that would in essccence go back thru the old posts in the DB and update them to work with the acronymn mod.

This would put a one time load on the server while it was modfying the existing posts in the DB but would also keep the continual load light by modifying new posts at the time of the post vs at the time the post is viewed.

That could be trouble, because you would have to scan every single post in the database, and then you would actually have to identify already marked acronyms, and see if they are marked correctly.

That would take to much time to do. I still think I have the best solution, because it would not be good to have to parse several messages everytime a page is viewed.

My last exams are tommorow. I will be catching up on Friday, and hopefully I get this finished over the weekend. All I plan to do is add the acronym viewing, and some bug fixing.
CodeMonkeyX
codemonkeyx.net

fishfreek

Post by fishfreek » Fri May 23, 2003 1:17 am

Either way I await the final release version.

THis is gonna put my site over the top as far as functionality and I really appricate you writting this.

Haywood Jahelpme

OOPS!

Post by Haywood Jahelpme » Sun May 25, 2003 10:27 am

I think I found a bug... If I put "phpBB" is "php Bulletin Board - a bulletin board that's free!"

I get this when I post anything with that Acronym:

Code: Select all

Error in posting

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1196 Warning: Some non-transactional changed tables couldn't be rolled back

INSERT INTO phpbb_posts_text (post_id, post_subject, bbcode_uid, post_text) VALUES (8506, 'test', '663265e0a6', '[acronym:663265e0a6=\"php Bulletin Board - a bulletin board that's free!\"]phpBB[/acronym:663265e0a6]')

Line : 308
File : /home/activist/public_html/wwwboard/includes/functions_post.php
Perhaps the Add an Acronym feature should check for these funky characters which seem to give MySQL fits... It works fine if I take out the ' , so I can only presume that single quotes shouldn't be used in Acronyms in combination with ! or maybe just not used at all.....

Anyways, thanks for the great mod, and good luck with your exams... I remember the feeling of taking the last one and then being done for a whole 3 months! Do you still get 3 months?

CodeMonkeyX

Post by CodeMonkeyX » Sun May 25, 2003 11:02 pm

EDIT: Nothing to see here, I just posted something stupid ;D
CodeMonkeyX
codemonkeyx.net

netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic » Thu May 29, 2003 11:46 pm

I've been playing with this mod.

I liked it so much i decided to have a go at making a "smart tag" mod from it and it works pretty good.

I've input the entire php function list (nearly 3000 functions) as smart tags :D You can see it working here along with the acronym mod - [edit] dev forum cleaned, mod not workey anymore

If you want to test it you can login as test / test

I've still got some work to do on it, like the admin section and also i was thinking of adding categories so you could apply certain categories of smart tags to certain forums.

Anyway, i don't want to get too off topic here, just though i'd let you know.
Last edited by netclectic on Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Defend the game:

fishfreek

Post by fishfreek » Fri May 30, 2003 12:02 am

Cool. I cant wait for it to be relase quality. I want to install it but i want the bugs to be worked out as best as possible first since it would go on a live site.

Automechanic

Post by Automechanic » Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:09 pm

I've just found a problem when you use the acronym mod and the newssync mod together.
If you post a message with an acronym in it, you get something like this posted to the newsgroup...
If the [acronym:b21cff7c29="antilock brake
system"]ABS[/acronym:b21cff7c29] light comes on with the ignition and
fails to go out, it usually means that one of the sensors has failed
the initial self test.

Anyone know of a workaround for this, perhaps even turning off the acronym mod for a particular category?

netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic » Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:10 pm

i think the newssync mod does some form of bbcode stripping when posting messages, it may be using a specific list of bbcodes which you need to update. porobably best to ask wineknow in the newssnc thread.
Defend the game:

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”