Age lock down and link shows if age and anoth posts = ture

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
rexzooly

Age lock down and link shows if age and anoth posts = ture

Post by rexzooly » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:16 am

I need to add a age limit to my site as i don't want kids coming to my site and using it as a dos hole.
my site is help site i have 2.0.22 installed.

What i need it limit the age on registion to not let them in and i also have a messenger system i don't
want the younger memebers better on until the right age + and have posted so many so i am guessing
a if rank and age = bla bla show link please can anyone help this is really importent to me thanks.

i can't not upgread to 3 as support got other scripts are no longer supported in 3 as some things have
changed.

thanks.

Rex

ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Re: Age lock down and link shows if age and anoth posts = ture

Post by ric323 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:34 am

So how exactly are you going to verify their age?
I think this wouldn't be as simple as you imagine.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions

rexzooly

Post by rexzooly » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:58 am

just by there data of birth if they lie we should pick this up in there posts so they would not be able
to use the messenger system or any other memeber locked system until thay hit this limit of posts as i
admin the forums everyday ran or shin and soon as i get more staff someone will always be online
i just need to know how i would say thay can't join if there below a age i want the reister page to stop them.

and simple a link then that will know if there older then a age and have a post ranking to show them
the link to be able to join in the messenger server and other service i am going to support.
also i want to be able to make links show for just admins and staff how can i do this ?
Sorry i am limited on wat i know with php and html as i forget going really any help will be useful
my site is
www.soc-clearminds.org

you will see why i want to add these limits for the kinda topics there is.
the site as only just been rebuilt many think like the T& C need going things like that what i am slowly working on.

Rex

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:45 pm

OK. My DOB is December 1, 1944. Here is a post. Am I lying?
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. PM or email me.

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

rexzooly

Post by rexzooly » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:20 pm

stevemaury wrote:OK. My DOB is December 1, 1944. Here is a post. Am I lying?
Please don't wast my time i really need help and that was just pointless. :cry:

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:38 pm

stevemaury wrote:OK. My DOB is December 1, 1944. Here is a post. Am I lying?
Imagine that, Steve, we have the same birthday!

In all truth and seriousness, though, there's no real way to verify ages, so this won't accomplish much.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:47 pm

Having looked at your site, to be honest, I don't think you will get the problems you seem to think you will. I've never ever had kids sign up to my boards just to post junk. People sign up to talk about what the board is about. You're trying to fix something that doesn't really happen.

Your idea won't work though.

They try to register, click the link for under 18, registration fails.
So they just go back to the start and click the link saying they're over 18 instead.

I'm not even sure how you pick them out from what they write in their posts. I had to read your posts twice to understand what you were on about.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

rexzooly

Post by rexzooly » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:54 pm

The topics talked about would easly pick out the younger kids out realy as there would be a post limit before there would see the new links i have asked a question to get help this is still what i want to do be able to have links shows if that have got the right rank and age can some help with this?

This is importent to this site so any help would be nice.

and SOC as been live 6 years and this topic gets a lot of stupid kids i know as 2 of the SOC sites i closed down
just cos of that facter alown.

Thaks for the reply but i still need to find away of doing it even if its not really going to make much diff its a
step in the right way.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:01 pm

So, if I understand your post correctly, and to be honest, it is very difficult to do that, you only want links to show after you have a certain number of posts. I'm not sure how you think that will sort out kids from real members but
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... post+limit

It's still going to be virtually impossible to verify someone's age without them handing you a copy of their driving license or birth certificate.
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

rexzooly

Post by rexzooly » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:35 pm

Ok let me try and explen better lol :)

The site as people that have had depresson and all this for along time and members of other sites like it
that are able to pick out most of the kids just by replys and posts this is not to just stop kids tho its also
top the fools from accessing the messenger this is not fool poof i know but i don't have to money to do driver
checker or card checks.

I am just trying to fiter out the users what are not going to be good or underage so you can tell.
then there is the next stage the messenger system emails chat long and 98% if the member will
report the member and send the log.

yes i know its this is not even 20% full proof but its a start and the links need to look at the age and
rank and i need to know if thats possable :)

rexzooly

Post by rexzooly » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:40 pm

also when i say link i mean a theme link to perset link not a URL that link you sent me was about posting links
thats not what i mean lol 8-)

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:48 pm

rexzooly wrote:Ok let me try and explen better lol
That didn't really help. Do you re-read what you write before you submit it?

I understand the nature of your site and why you would want to protect the users but there really isn't any solid way to check a users age.

phpBB3 would be better because it has a report post option where users can tag suspicious posts for you to look at. It also has post approval so you can set forums where you can't post without being approved first. And also passworded forums.

But at the end of the day there isn't much you can do to stop anyone signing up, after all, that's what a forum is for. Being an admin is about dealing with the users as situations arise.
also when i say link i mean a theme link to perset link not a URL that link you sent me was about posting links
thats not what i mean lol
Yeah well I was taking a best guess at what you'd written because it made no sense. And to be honest, that reply doesn't make much sense either.
Cheap UK Hosting

rexzooly

Post by rexzooly » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:29 pm

I don't want to really check the age to see if its valied arg please look..

What i need is

like the links that show up when your loged in i need links to how up if the user as a set rank or above
+ there site age says there over 16. the mods and me will cheap posts and even reply and set things that
why will be court out with.

Some will slip thought the net yes i know what why there the chat logs in place so if someone is underage but getting some pedo chatting to them thay are able to report it to use thay will be remove from the chat but
the pedo would be reported to child linke trust thingy forgot the name with all details we can provided.
i can't use phpbb3 the database tables have change 2 much something i use along side phpbb2 would no longer work. so that i can't do dose this explane any better

EG:

Loged in As Rexzooly (Memebers) (Owners Panel) (New PM's 2) |(Messenger)|< this would only show if user is 16 + and as a rank lets say Full memeber, Supper memeber, Admin, Full Mods.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:50 pm

rexzooly wrote:arg please look.
I'm trying to, but if you read your own posts back, you'll see they might as well be in Greek.

Firstly you have coppa registration on which means that your reg page has an over/under 13 link. Unless you're in the USA you might as well turn that off and reset the age to just 16 so the options are that they're over 16 or no entry but that won't stop people under 16 signing up anyway.

You say you don't want to check their age and then you go on to say that if they're age is over 16 then etc etc. So which is it?

If you don't want links to show unless you have a certain rank, and if that rank is based on posts then the MOD I linked will do just that. They're already 'over' 16 cos they clicked that link to enter the site in the first place. Instead of adding a MOD that will cross check some rank and age that won't mean much and then flag it up to you, why not just get people to PM you if they have a suspicion about a user.

At the moment you have hardly users so i think you're getting ahead of yourself on a system to block people who are not even on the site yet.
Cheap UK Hosting

rexzooly

Post by rexzooly » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:35 pm

Sorry about that i am dyslexic lol..... thats a fact but i lol at it alot.

i do want to check there age but not with like avaidated as most people don't have Drivers L or passports i have never.

But i want to be able to check with it so if thay are not 16 thay can still post in the forum for support
but not be able to use the chat client.

i know its not going to do alot but it would help me a little. and that mod u send me was for submiting links i want to add the link to the theme style just before FAQ where it is not but the link is commented out as the
messenger is not ready yet.

i know it might be silly to some there are alot of memebers that will me truth about there age and i don't want
them to hit a level rank an be able to see the messenger.

Unless there is a way to set a rank on age. so soon as thay join if thay are below the age of 16 it sets a miner rank and unable to use them options.

if you want to know more what i am trying to do PM me and i will give you my msn :) thanks

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Requests”